Lazy Bastard Mega Mall

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Lazy Bastard Mega Mall

Post by BHakluyt »

Good day fellow Factorians

Today I proudly present you the Lazy Bastard Mega Mall. Based on, and due credit to Oozenthor from which I copied a lot, at this link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41822

I have added a few things and have now almost 10 days play time and still stand on 106 crafts. I liked the idea of having a shopping mall where you can walk the isles instead of having robots flying everywhere. Some stack sizes still are probably not set properly and I have yet to test this with a new game from an early start, but at least there is a working layout and yellow belts can be spaghettied through the roads until research allow you to build the blueprint properly.

LBMM Blueprint (With Center Line Pax Station) (See viewtopic.php?f=194&t=53424&p=312697#p312697)
LBMM.txt
Blueprint LBMM
(96.94 KiB) Downloaded 1253 times
Mega Mall Cropped
Mega Mall Cropped
LBMM Cropped.jpg (217.16 KiB) Viewed 33976 times
Combinators are added to show connection points and belt loading sides. OPT stands for optional belts which can be omitted.
Connection Points
Connection Points
LBMM Connections.jpg (56.69 KiB) Viewed 33976 times

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Lazy Bastard Mega Mall

Post by olafthecat »

Looks pretty cool :D
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Good Day Fellow Factorians

I have been extending the mall to incorporate some of the new items added in Factorio v0.16. I kept the original idea of not using bots to operate the mall as well as having isles which you can walk down and browse your wares. Roboports are spread throughout, so the idea is to have this as an isolated robot network to supply the player, yet give you freedom to go get just that one pickaxe you need instead of fiddling with your requester slots.

Playing mostly for the Lazy Bastard achievement, I find this very useful as a starting base layout. It works well even from the start of the game, as you only build and connect what you need at first. In some really lazy games I have even hacked my mall to create all the science packs except for rocket science.
Hacked LBMM
So for all the other lazy spaghetti bois out there, here is a virtual base in a box mega mall. I have included my center line PAX station, see post above. Feel free to cut it out, as well as the early science setup and circuit production on the left.
Updated for 16 Lazy Bastard Mega Mall
LBMM V16.txt
The magic digits - Blue Print
(126.45 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Let me know what you think...

***As previously mentioned, above, parts of this mall as well as the overall concept comes from other peoples ideas, blueprints and designs.

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

Looks nice! I will give it a try.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi

Thanks for the interest. I have updated the blueprint since I forgot to add rocket and nuclear fuel production. If you use Nixi Tubes mod you will get nice counters for the Kovarex Process. But the mall can run in vanilla without any mods too... Still wish I can weave in an assembler to make exoskeleton suits...

You can find the updated BP here: https://factorioprints.com/view/-LAmDZ6Mt-usgxGnIxOd

khadgarion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by khadgarion »

This is a pretty awesome mall. It has been quite useful on my lazy bastard run. Is there an assembler for the Artillery (not the wagon, I see that one).

I slightly modified the science research to accept belts for other science packs.

I'd like to try out the PAX railway system from your PAX book, but it's complexity is way, way beyond my understanding of rail stations. Do you have any information on how the supply / unloading works?

Thanks!

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi khadgarion

No, unfortunately I couldn't fit an assembler in there to make the standalone artileries...However, iirc, the wagon arty assembler can just be manually changed to produce the standalone ones. I have something like that in the back of my mind. The current version of the mall on my PC have a roboport moved and an assembler in there to make the refined hazard concrete.

I do plan to change my mall around when Factorio gets released to make that much awaited Spidertron and any other things I can add. (At nights I lay awake thinking how to fit an assembler in there to make exo suits...) So in due time I will still fiddle around with it. Please send me the changes you have made to the science so I can include that changes maybe in future? Anyone else is welcome to help out and send me their ideas and changes.

Regarding the PAX, see the first post above with links and details. However, the PAX system is just a L-C-L train mainly just to get around yourself. You can make another station to load that one wagon if you want. The way I do it is have normal L-C-C-C-C-L trains that load somewhere all the makings for building and expansion. See my save game here if you are interested for how the PAX system and my loading trains work. Save game here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56683

You can see just left below the mall my trains are loading with belts and stuff. So yeah, my PAX train cargo wagon is more like a personal locker/inventory where I just handle the details manually. Also, otherwise, I think the PAX system is quite nice and flexible, because you can name the stations what you want. It detects when you are somewhere and brings the train for you. Just ensure your train use circuit conditions red = 0 iirc. Check links. Oh and the PAX system doesn't really accommodate multiplayer. Having more PAX trains will just mess up the system. So single player only. And the new penalties for trains to drive through stations makes that the PAX train sometimes take longer routes than necessary. I am quietly hoping that dev tweaks in the future will sort that one out...

khadgarion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by khadgarion »

Thanks for the info!

The modification I made to the research area is not pretty like the rest of the mall. All I did was move the red/green supply belt to the right side and shift the labs to the left to close the gap from the belt in the middle. I then ran 2 more supply belts down the entire left side, around the bottom of the labs, and up the right side. It could be done with requester chests instead to get rid of most of the belt spaghetti.

I've gotten the Kovarex process researched and nuclear power started, but I have not had much success figuring out the logistic circuit setup you have setup. I am quite the logistic newbie, and it's beyond me lol.

I am wondering what is providing the O signal that turns on the belt right by the Uranium Fuel centrifuge. As far as I can tell, it's the belt that puts U-235 on the other belt that goes down to the Uranium Fuel Cell / Uranium Ammo assemblers. It's not putting anything on the belt at the moment.

Hopefully I can learn something :)

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hey man. Yeah no requesters, embrace the awesomeness of spaghetti!

Regarding that O signal, I have two places that the belts can be manually locked with a combinator. The one at the kovarex setup and one at the module production. Just set the combinator on/off. That small kovarex setups x3 are someone elses blueprints so I don't get all the inner workings and details of it. I just locked the belt so some uranium 235s can accumulate before going down the line. So yeah, use the combinator connected to the stopped belt to switch it on and off.

Cheers and enjoy! I'm glad you like the mall. I've spent so many hundreds of hours inside there...

khadgarion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by khadgarion »

Here's what I did with the science setup:

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

So...I've done it again. The Lazy Bastard Mega Mall just got updated to v0.17 and now it is a virtually complete base in a box. It handles all sciences at roughly 53 packs per minute and makes almost all items in-game without the use of bots. The nuclear power setup provide 478 MW which is about 100 more than needed end game doing research.

I have stitched together blueprints from too many people to remember, so thanks to all. Let me know what you think about the concept though, I find it very convenient to have a ready-made base to work from when building mega bases.

Overview Image
Blueprint Updated
Lazy Bastard Mega Mall
Edit: Updated the blueprint, some pipe wasn't connected. Also, forgot to mention: use the combinator computer to set stack size for output containers. Otherwise there are combinators showing what materials go on what lane. The train stations from top to bottom: copper ore, 2x iron ore, open one for mall logistics to go build outposts whatever, a small train for uranium ore/sulfer acid out, stone, coal, oil and finally water.
Set Output Amounts Here
Attachments
LBMM v017.txt
Magic Digits
(475.06 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Before the new oil recipe changes drop, behold the marvel: 73 science per minute complete spaghetti noodle in a box that makes every item (except uranium cannon shells and low level armors) in the game with the use of belts.

It even makes rocket silos, and the power armor assembler can be manually set to make the mk1 and mk2 (feed density structures manually please) items. Uranium cannon shells can be done by placing an assembler in the walk way (the horror, just look at the silo one) near the explosive cannon shells and feneagling some belts - all the needed items are around there.

I tried to reduce the cost of building the mall, so it uses mostly red belts where needed. Blue belts only feed end game assemblers and thus need not be worried about early game. I provide a BP for the mall only part also which makes placing the BP much easier as you research new techs and want to update the assemblers. Combinators indicate which items goes on which belt lane and above the belt manufacturing block/centre is a little combinator block where output quantities can be manually tuned.

This mall helped me build my 3k SPM base and right now I'm working on a 10k base which are almost done in less than 100 hrs. Oh and the mall itself built a rocket in about 20 hrs play time with minimal interaction once robots got researched early on. Well, enjoy!
Overview of Entire Mall
LBMM Blueprint Complete
LBMM Mall Only
LBMM Blueprint Mall Only

Xaosmaster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xaosmaster »

This is quite impressive. Started using it and finally got all my trains setup. There are a few issues with the mall that I have found, though. Not sure if the recipes changed since it was built which may be the reason.

1. The Rocket Fuel assemblers have no source of Light Oil.
2. The chemical Science Packs have no source of Sulfur.

Is there an updated version of this somewhere?

Great work on this btw. It is probably the best blueprint I've ever seen (despite the flaws above).

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Xaosmaster wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am
1. The Rocket Fuel assemblers have no source of Light Oil.
2. The chemical Science Packs have no source of Sulfur.

Is there an updated version of this somewhere?
Hi. Thanks. Yes this is pre 17.59 so not all recipes are fixed/updated. I played through once making changes myself quickly and it wasn't too difficult. I am currently in a playthrough again to remake the blueprint but the new job hours doesn't allow me much time. Plus I am a bit reluctant because the recipes are always changing and I guess with 0.18 there will yet be more changes. Will send you a pm once updated, hopefully before end Feb. Getting such nice feedback was probably the motivation I needed...

Xaosmaster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xaosmaster »

Well this is the Death Star of malls. After I set it up I wanted to sit back and say: "Now witness the power of this fully operational MegaMall!"

Even your smelting setup is top notch. It just works.

It has actually inspired me to build my own. I wanted to make a version of this that is tiered and can be used throughout the whole game. So I started grabbing pieces of it as separate blueprints and am trying to work them into a new game. It's just for my own purpose, though, so I won't post it anywhere.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Xaosmaster wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am
It has actually inspired me to build my own. I wanted to make a version of this that is tiered and can be used throughout the whole game. So I started grabbing pieces of it as separate blueprints and am trying to work them into a new game. It's just for my own purpose, though, so I won't post it anywhere.
Thanks a lot Xaosmaster! But please do post them, even here is fine with me. I'd love to see some different ideas and like I said above, the original idea and credit to the mall belongs to Oozenthor.

With the update of 0.18 dropping today, I don't see any recipe changes, so my updated mall should work fine. Stress tested it for 10 hours too, still 73 SPM output. Since I don't have access to wifi for still a few days, the blueprint might read v0.17 still, but the above mentioned recipes has been fixed.

Would you kindly please let me know if you find any issues or have any other suggestions. Here it is...

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Updated for 0.18.0:
LazyBastardMegaMall BP Complete
LBMM BP Complete IMAGE
LazyBastardMegaMall MallOnly BP
LBMM MallOnly IMAGE

jgntrugytub
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgntrugytub »

Cool Concept, but how do you even place a blueprint of this size, i can hardly see 1/4 on 3440x1440 resolution? Any tips?

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

jgntrugytub wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:58 pm
Cool Concept, but how do you even place a blueprint of this size, i can hardly see 1/4 on 3440x1440 resolution? Any tips?
Hi yes...well...place it once and don't screw anything up! Lol. Well for real, that is why I've given the mall only part too for the BP. Makes placing the thing a lot easier. Especially since one repasted the BP so often early game as recipes gets unlocked. Just align the top left corner of walls and shift+left click the thing over.

Also, I recommend using a zoom mod.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

jgntrugytub wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:58 pm
You don't need to see the blueprint in its entirety to place it.

The way I place giant blueprints accurately (working currently on fleshing-out a modular grid-aligned base) is to know how and where I want to place one of the corners. I make sure to see that and simply place the blueprint. Placing blueprints also works from map mode if you zoom in just far enough that you see the actual tiles (and not the symbolic layers you see when zooming out too far). It's important that every tile built-on is covered by radar or in your character's visibility range, thus not subject to fog-of-war.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”