If you want to work on the wiki you need an account

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

If you want to work on the wiki you need an account

Post by ssilk »

Request Account

The account is approved by hand and after 1-2 days granted.

It would be nice, if you write something about you (on your user-page).

EDIT:
I have nothing to do with the registration and have also no deeper rights in the wiki. If you think you have been forgotten (3-4 days), please write directly to info@factorio.com . :)
The idea was to have a similar user-registration as as for the mod-portal, but the priority is currently quite low.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: If you want to work on the wiki you need an account

Post by sonic »

The request account page is returning an "Incorrect or missing confirmation code" error when I attempt to sign up. I just registered this account today in case that's the reason why.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You havn't filled out the last box then. :)

"To help protect against automated account creation, please solve the simple sum below and enter the answer in the box (more info)"

and then you need to make the calculation (21+3 for example) and write in the result.

This question is also asked in the wiki, when you link to external sources.

sonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonic »

I did, multiple times. I'm not the brightest but like to think I know the answer to 24-0 :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, works for me, I've tested it twice now.

You need to fill out every field: add an email-adress, an non existing username, add more than 8 words into the description, fill out the calculation. That's it.

sonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonic »

ssilk wrote:Sorry, works for me, I've tested it twice now.

an non existing username,
Ah, that was it. I was using my forum nickname; added a bunch of numbers and it accepted the request. Thank you.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Eh... Then you might already had made an account?

If so, you might request just a password change for your email address.

Apotheosis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Apotheosis »

I think this whole account signup business in general is incredibly invasive and is the entire reason I haven't edited the wiki at all yet. And I most certainly would have; every time I visit it I feel the urge to fix some of the broken English on it. I'm seriously considering starting a wikia site for Factorio.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Apotheosis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Apotheosis »

Oh hey, I didn't even think to look yet. Guess someone already had the same idea.

Shame most of the pages seem to be locked from editing for some reason; they've got some pretty outdated information.

I think you should really step back and reconsider the function of a wiki and whether it's the right format for the type of guide you're putting together, if you're going to lock out editing from anyone but those you personally vet. Including using a forum to collaborate on article edits--a wiki already has great tools for doing that!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well,
1. It's not my wiki. That's the Wiki, which the devs installed.
2. Everyone, which goes through the procedure of making an account can edit - normally within max. 2 days. The email-check is only done, because of spam-bots and it's quite normal. Well, it could be made much better - for example linking the forum- and wiki-userbase together with some smart tools. But I don't even have access to the database. And yes, this has already been suggested 2 or 3 times..

I see the wiki
a) as a collection of knowledge. The most interesting facts about Factorio are here.
b) as a plattform to link everything together - for example the Let's play videos or some guides or good forum-articles.
c) as something, which can be used to work out ideas.

(For me, the wiki is a big and real playground to test what I can do with mediawiki (really quite interesting, if you dig deeper) and how to write documentation so, that it is really useful. ;) And because I have really a bad memory. :) )

And of course, everyone has another view. That's why you can see different "views" to this wiki on the main page. And that is also explaned: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... Wiki_Howto

So I do not reconsider anything. Besides the forum board, that was introduced because of my intervention - that was a not so lucky idea, because the real wiki-users like more to use the discussion pages in the wiki. But - well - I tried it and I can't know anything. :)

In other words: If you want to change it, then change it, or make your own wiki or whatever. :) But I really don't like to discuss, how a wiki could be made better; do it and if someone doesn't like it he can use the rollback.

Apotheosis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Apotheosis »

My mistake, if you're not in charge of the wiki then my comment was directed at whoever actually is.
ssilk wrote:If you want to change it, then change it, or make your own wiki or whatever. :) But I really don't like to discuss, how a wiki could be made better; do it and if someone doesn't like it he can use the rollback.
Well as I've said, I would certainly like to make the wiki better, but I find the registration process unacceptably invasive. I value my privacy and I really doubt my real name or other personal information needs to be known in order to beat spambots. Usually a captcha and/or an e-mail check are good enough for that. I may be the only one who has apparently brought this issue forward so far, but I really think you're missing out on a substantial base of editors because of this.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Apotheosis wrote:My mistake, if you're not in charge of the wiki then my comment was directed at whoever actually is.
ssilk wrote:If you want to change it, then change it, or make your own wiki or whatever. :) But I really don't like to discuss, how a wiki could be made better; do it and if someone doesn't like it he can use the rollback.
Well as I've said, I would certainly like to make the wiki better, but I find the registration process unacceptably invasive. I value my privacy and I really doubt my real name or other personal information needs to be known in order to beat spambots. Usually a captcha and/or an e-mail check are good enough for that. I may be the only one who has apparently brought this issue forward so far, but I really think you're missing out on a substantial base of editors because of this.
I'm going to have to agree here. To be honest, I even find the requirement of registration to go against the whole concept of a wiki, and this has already put me off of adding some info myself. The point of the wiki is that anyone can edit. There's a version history, so if someone really breaks things badly, you can very simply revert back to the previous version. For notorious abusers, there's IP address history so you could even block those if it got really bad.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Apotheosis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Apotheosis »

I'd have to agree that registration in general goes against the spirit of a wiki; however, I understand the need for countermeasures in order to beat spam. I have seen the destruction spambots can wreck upon a wiki and it's killed wikis for a particular topic I care about on more than one occasion now. Account registration should be made at least as simple and unintrusive as possible when it is necessary.

I'm also not too keen on the idea of linking to a forum account either, but that's maybe a bit of a separate issue.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Apotheosis wrote:I'd have to agree that registration in general goes against the spirit of a wiki; however, I understand the need for countermeasures in order to beat spam. I have seen the destruction spambots can wreck upon a wiki and it's killed wikis for a particular topic I care about on more than one occasion now. Account registration should be made at least as simple and unintrusive as possible when it is necessary.
Fair enough, I suppose for smaller communities it may be harder to combat spam than for wikipedia with countless volunteers scouring the place for bad updates daily. (although I wonder if a captcha on edits won't be sufficient to keep away most spambots already).
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Apotheosis wrote:Well as I've said, I would certainly like to make the wiki better, but I find the registration process unacceptably invasive. I value my privacy and I really doubt my real name or other personal information needs to be known in order to beat spambots.
Hm. I cannot speak for the devs, which decide that, but I doubt, that they really want to know your real name and that's valid for me, too.
Usually a captcha and/or an e-mail check are good enough for that. I may be the only one who has apparently brought this issue forward so far, but I really think you're missing out on a substantial base of editors because of this.
Well, last year, we nearly lost the whole wiki, because of the spam:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=50&t=29
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=50&t=42
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=50&t=672
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =50&t=1283

And really: The captcha coming along with mediawiki is by far not enough to be not cracked by spambots...
(And besides of that: if you don't want to reveal you personality you should not go into the internet - but that is a completely different story.... :) )

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Boogieman14 wrote:... There's a version history, so if someone really breaks things badly, you can very simply revert back to the previous version. For notorious abusers, there's IP address history so you could even block those if it got really bad.
We've tried it. Then I've spent two days digging out 1MB of useful data from 40GB of spam ... it wasn't fun.

RedPawn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RedPawn »

Hi,
I'd like to request for an account but when I click on the link you provided I get a PHP error (tsk tsk for showing error on a production servers btw ;P )

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to undefined method WebRequest::getFileSize() in /web/htdocs2/kovarexcom/home/www/wiki/extensions/ConfirmAccount/frontend/specialpages/actions/RequestAccount_body.php on line 318
Also as a suggestion, it would be nice if we could only have 1 account to access everything (game, forums, wiki).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That is mentioned in the currently FFF
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 38&t=16368

RedScourge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RedScourge »

Hi,

I too wanted to edit the Wiki after seeing that there is no mention of the fact that the optimal ratio of hot water tanks to steam engines to power a night time steam backup power source is precisely 3 tanks per 10 steam engines, but I received the following error from the Wiki software:

Database error
A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.

Perhaps to help make things a bit simpler, a script could be made to automatically create a Wiki account matching the website account when people purchase the game?

Return to “Wiki Talk”