The perfect OCD compliant nuclear power plant! --- Now v2.4!

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The perfect OCD compliant nuclear power plant! --- Now v2.4!

Post by Aeternus »

Serenity wrote:
Aeternus wrote: Problem is I've not found a good way to stress-test that plant on full load...
What I really like with this design is that it isolates the pumps, control and inserters from the main power grid. With that it's easy to use the Creative Mode mod and hook up a power sink to the turbine side. But if you do that with a design that has all on one grid it sucks down all the power.

And yeah, I figure the pipes around the tank are the issue. For some reason it works fine with the 8 reactor version (tried it with creative mod and it runs constantly at full power), but not beyond
Yea, the isolation of the control grid is one of the things I'll definately pilfer. My own design can be easily adjusted for it, just need to move some substations around so the control grid drives all pumps as well. Might need a slightly larger solar plant though - a 20+GW plant with multiple pumps per row, plus the inserters for the fuel and waste, but minus the roboports.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

mrvn wrote:With the tanks after the turbines you can't use pumps though. That means they won't fill at full speed when nearly full or empty full speed when nearly empty. Means you have to power up the reactor a bit earlier.
True, but you only really need pumps between the Heat exchangers and steam turbines anyway to ensure to be able to reach 100% heat exchanger output.

The flow back from the tanks to the turbines can be slower because usually it only draws from the tanks when your power plant is idle... so it is unlikely it will push the throughput limits of the pipes on flowback.

Short Spikes in the power consumption (like from laser turrets) are easily covered by what is stored inside the Turbines anyway.

Also if you store a good deal of the heat in the reactors/heatpipes itself then even if the power consumption goes from 0 to a constant 100% then it will flow from both directions... the tanks and the heat exchangers, emptying the tanks eventually.

At least I have never had a problem with placing the tanks after the turbines.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I just tried this powerplant. I think I missed something:

1) When I first built it, I had 750 construction bots swarm in from my base and build. Quite convenient but... most of them went to the two roboports by the steam tanks and overwhelmed the solar setup you use for that part of the base. To minimize impact before I upgraded from 2 to 4 reactors I had to add a bunch of roboports just outside of those two, taking care that the main power connection didn't connect to your protected power network. Still, my gut tells me that I did something that I should not have done. Am I right? Should I remove them now that they are done building?

2) This is a bigger problem. I thought the design allowed for growing from 2 to 4 to 6 and 8 reactors by simply laying the new/bigger blueprint on top of the original one. But when I did a 2 to 4 reactor expansion:
- When I tried to place it, it wouldn't. I had to do a shift-left click. It is not clear to me what didn't overlay.
- The 2 new reactors never powered up. Do I need to cycle the combinator from on to off to on again, to repeat the initial startup... or is doing so going to mess up my reactor? Or could it be that some of the logic is different between 2 and 4 reactor setups and it didn't overlay?

booter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by booter »

I loved this setup earlier and I am now wondering if this is still viable?

gravityStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gravityStar »

Blueprint book of the original was deleted by pastebin;
A link to Distelzombie's original: "The perfect OCD compliant power plant! v2.4 BLUEPRINT BOOK" https://ghostbin.co/paste/mm44zx2
My own edit, described somewhere above: https://ghostbin.co/paste/86yjep

r0r
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by r0r »

gravityStar wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:03 pm
Blueprint book of the original was deleted by pastebin;
A link to Distelzombie's original: "The perfect OCD compliant power plant! v2.4 BLUEPRINT BOOK" https://ghostbin.co/paste/mm44zx2
My own edit, described somewhere above: https://ghostbin.co/paste/86yjep
Hi all, I’m a new Factorio player and about to start nuclear power and thought I’d found the perfect setup that can grow as my factory demands grow, but the original pastebin link no longer works. Also, I get a bad gateway error when I try to access the ghostbin links. I’m assuming that game updates in the last few years haven’t broken anything in the OP’s design.

If someone could please repost these, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

r0r wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:12 pm
Hi all, I’m a new Factorio player and about to start nuclear power and thought I’d found the perfect setup that can grow as my factory demands grow, but the original pastebin link no longer works. Also, I get a bad gateway error when I try to access the ghostbin links. I’m assuming that game updates in the last few years haven’t broken anything in the OP’s design.

If someone could please repost these, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
  1. If you are new and have never built a nuclear plant before, I suggest that you minimally attempt to create your own plant first—there are plenty of helpful resources to do so, such as the Factorio Cheat Sheet.
  2. The original blueprints are in the original post of the thread as strings. It should not be especially difficult to remove the excess reactors, heat exchangers, & turbines for yourself. Again; the Factorio Cheat Sheet will be help-full.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

And if someone still has the blueprint book please just attach it to a message. Don't try to paste it as a blueprint, attach the file. Attachment can be far larger than messages. That way the link won't die yet again.

Return to “Energy Production”