Storms, haze and Visible Pollution

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SlondoTK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Storms, haze and Visible Pollution

Post by SlondoTK »

TL;DR
The idea is to see fog, rains, acid rains and the pollution effect increase as you progress through the game.
What ?
Suppose your map is 100 hours of play,The pollution generated by your machines should leave the screen slightly gray or darken according to the level of pollution in the area where the player is, when more polluted, more difficult to see would be in the gameplay.
There could also be acidic rains, where only the player would receive damage, a very low damage, and in case the place is with enough trees, it would produce a mist just before dawn, that as the hour passed, this would disappear progressively.
In the rains, large spouts of water could fall to the ground and trickle to the sides! :shock:
Why ?
I think the game would have a greater dimension of details, it is already very big on this issue, but it would be cool to see even more of what it is capable of offering the community.

I left the link for a rain mod I'm testing now, it's pretty cool :D
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18281&p=273978&hilit=rain#p273978

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Visual Pollution Suggestion

Post by Alien_Squasher »

So just for amping up the beauty of this game even further, I'd like to suggest visible pollution, Something that doesn't hinder visibility or actually cause the player harm but just lets you know "Yep, I am polluting the hell outta this planet and I am proud of it." It would seriously complement the factory vibe as well, as you don't see factories IRL without very visible environmental impact. For an idea of what this would look like, I link this image from how Cities Skylines handles it:
Attachments
Look at how the ground turns grey and there's kind of a visible smog, Nothing that blocks your view, just something that makes it look polluted.
Look at how the ground turns grey and there's kind of a visible smog, Nothing that blocks your view, just something that makes it look polluted.
Pollution Example.jpg (322.84 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Visual Pollution Suggestion

Post by Jap2.0 »

The trees do die after a certain amount of pollution.
But then again no one has trees inside their factory.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

I agree. Pollution spreads very far though, so in order to keep the map varied I think any ground changes should stay somewhat close to the source machine rather than just be a function of pollution.

There's plenty of fun things you can do with ground textures. Close to hot things like furnaces you could have a burnt texture, close to refineries you could have an acid texture, etc.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Jap2.0 wrote:The trees do die after a certain amount of pollution.
But then again no one has trees inside their factory.
Lol.........

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

The_Mtn_Dew_Master
Inserter
Inserter

Post by The_Mtn_Dew_Master »

What if water in highly polluted areas turns green, that would look cool and would be a big sign there’s too much pollution (even though in factorio too much pollution isn’t a thing ;) )
It will take some time to decide what my signature will be...

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

The_Mtn_Dew_Master wrote:What if water in highly polluted areas turns green, that would look cool and would be a big sign there’s too much pollution (even though in factorio too much pollution isn’t a thing ;) )
Rather, to make it more realistic, reddish brown if the devs decide to add visual pollution on land, let alone water.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

The_Mtn_Dew_Master wrote:What if water in highly polluted areas turns green
Corresponding suggestion thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54369 Water pollution

Stuffix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Visible Pollution

Post by Stuffix »

It would be cool if the pollution would be more visible in the environment.
Currentley there is just a damage model of the trees but I'm thinking about decayed grass, green and slimy water (like in the trailer)
and even biters (like cancerous tumors or some sort of mutation).

The world would feel much more interactive if you could see your ecological footprint like that.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Storms, haze and Visible Pollution

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same or similar suggestions.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I really like this idea. I play redmew scenarios all the time, because they add so much to factorio in terms of fiction, transported via special game settings. Having storms which might damage the base, acid rain as result of pollution, or maybe dark fog - which might spawn biters is really pumping up the adrenaline for me. Something the logic heavy vanilla factory is unable to do.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

Visible pollution is a good idea. Perhaps a black grime that gets on the machines/floor or a haze in the air (not enough to make it hard to see though). The black grime would only appear if it's very polluted.

It really gives a sense of having a factory, and perhaps gives the player a reason to clean up: if you make your factory eco-friendly, the black grime would disappear.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”