"No path" and "missing station" alerts (example shown)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

"No path" and "missing station" alerts (example shown)

Post by Jon8RFC »

TL;DR
Train alerts for "no path" conditions, missing stations, or whatever else causes train dysfunctions in automatic mode.

What ?
If it has no path, or if the station doesn't exist, or something else causes the trains not to function in automatic mode, and effectively block traffic or not operate, display an alert.
The alert could be placed in the same place where other alerts pop up.
Having the alert also show up on the map would be ideal, similarly to how construction, logistic, and damage alerts show up.
factorio_train_alert_suggestion.jpg
factorio_train_alert_suggestion.jpg (606.84 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
Why ?
Unless I'm missing something, if a train or trains stop moving, it becomes a hunt to determine if it's just a gridlock issue, or a "no path" or a missing train station issue. Hunting down the root cause of running out of ore is normal, but it would be excellent to instantly spot that there's a "no path" condition or that an old, removed station caused 1/400 trains to suddenly stop during its automatic route, rather than spot it by chance, long after the event.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: "No path" and "missing station" alerts (example shown)

Post by eradicator »

+1

Very good idea. Also add "out of fuel" to the conditions list. There doesn't need to be different type of warning for every condition, a unified "some trains have issues" warning would be great :). Clicking the warning could open the train-schedule window where you can see the actual issue the train is having via remote-camera.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

+1

to both the original "no path" alert suggestion, and the "out of fuel" alert suggested by eradicator.

Currently my production or energy graphs are typically the first sign of train issues for me... and by then it's a bit too late and takes rather a while to solve!

StahnAileron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by StahnAileron »

This would eliminate my need to install and track The Fat Controller mod, which does mostly this. Warnings are just text messages with the mod though. A clickable alert that centers you on the problem train in map view would be nice. (When you have dozens of trains spread across a large area and only one is out of fuel...)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”