Please bring back the custom licence field!

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Please bring back the custom licence field!

Post by eradicator »

I just noticed (yea i'm late) that it is no longer possible to chose a custom licence for mods i want to publish on the mod portal. It's only possible to select from a very limited set of preselections, many of which are probably not even valid in the jurisdiction i live in.

I realize that licensing is a difficult field, but that should be all the more reason to reindroduce the ability to select custom licenses, as a preselected list is just never going to be enough. Add to that the "unfairness" of old mods still having custom licenses this is indeed quite frustrating, and i really don't want to go back to publishing everything only on the forums.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Please bring back the custom licence field!

Post by HanziQ »

I wanted to find a way to avoid people choosing invalid/empty licenses, but I've just come up with one. I'll add a system to submit custom licenses for review, they'll be then available for all your mods. It might take a while, since I want to implement a notification system first, but I'll try to get this done Tuesday.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

May i ask who is going to review those licences? Because checking for an "invalid license" on a world wide scale sounds like an impossible job, for example it seems to be concensus here (Germany) that for example "The Unlicense" is not actually valid here due to the way our law handles authorship. Also if you're going to add a review process you would probably save a good amount of time by including all of the Creative Commons licenses in the default list.

Btw, what exactly is your concern with those invalid/empty licenses? If it's only for the distrubution by wube i'd be fine to have a secondary licence that allows wube to distribute mods, that has to be signed by all modders on the portal.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Any progress on this? I can't seem to find any additional options on the mod portal. And i've noticed that other modders felt the need to note the unavailability of their desired license in the mod description (example).

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

Implemented.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Ah. There it is. Great =).

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”