Why not Qt?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tybalt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Why not Qt?

Post by Tybalt »

Topic says it all - why don't you simply use Qt(https://www.qt.io/) and don't write everything yourself? Qt is simply the best (and fastest) cross-platform framework I've seen so far.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Why not Qt?

Post by quinor »

I'd say that QT is super heavy and not really suited for games - more for applications. Factorio needs just something light to do inputs/windowing, not a big framework you'd have to rewrite half of the game to fit into.

Tybalt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tybalt »

Well, they recently axed Boost, which fits my idea of super heavy. I'd describe Qt as dynamic weight - it's just as heavy as you want it to be. And the FFFs sounds like they're rewriting UI and/or graphics anyways.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

Personally, I'd rather they write everything themselves because it means they can tailor it exactly to their needs.

milo christiansen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by milo christiansen »

Why not QT? This is why. That article is a little old, but it is still accurate. QT is not made for games.

EDIT: Also, way back the Warzone 2100 team started trying to move from SDL to QT for various reasons. Performance tanked, and the move was scrapped.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

An article from 2012 does not really reflect the current state of QT. However, it is right in that qt is wrong for this job.

For the simple reason, its not the fastest out there. It has ton and tons of features, decent cross platform support. But it is not suited for high end games.

(Software dev here, We do a lot of qt stuff at the office. And I tinker with games at home)

Return to “General discussion”