Transferring tasks between normal and personal roboport

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Transferring tasks between normal and personal roboport

Post by wvlad »

TL;DR
When a construction task exists it should be completed by personal roboport robots when player approaches.
What ?
Construction tasks should be automatically transferred between personal and normal roboport.

If a construction task is scheduled to a normal roboport robot when player approaches a distance check should be performed and if that robot is going to fly a long distance and there is an appropriate item in player's inventory then the task should be completed by a personal roboport robot instead.
Why ?
For an example I want to move my belts factory a few tiles down. I expect it to be finished very fast as I'm staying right there with all the same items in my inventory. But that zone is inside my large roboport network and I have to wait really long before robots bring items from the storage.
Last edited by wvlad on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Transfering tasks between normal and personal roboport

Post by eradicator »

Has been suggested numerous times. And answered numerous times. The bot network does not know the difference between personal and stationary roboports. And personally more ofthen than not i'd much rather have the opposite. If it can be build from stationary then don't waste my time on it.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

The bot network does not know the difference between personal and stationary roboports.
This is not a mod request. The devs can make it know.
And personally more ofthen than not i'd much rather have the opposite. If it can be build from stationary then don't waste my time on it.
1. I suggested to compare the flying distance so that a personal roboport is used only when stationary roboport robot is flying from a distant location.
2. You can just leave and do your business so that stationary roboports will pick up the tasks as always though you may have to wait for your robots to come back if you don't use mods to disable personal roboport.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Transferring tasks between normal and personal roboport

Post by McDuff »

I'd rather the opposite. I hate having my personal bots get used for every job, especially deconstruction of belts where you end up with loads of ore dumped into your inventory.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

wvlad wrote:
The bot network does not know the difference between personal and stationary roboports.
This is not a mod request. The devs can make it know.
Feel free to actually search for and read all the other topics that explain why they will not do this. TL;DR: Performance.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is not a universal need. Some people prefer the personal robots to work when possible, and the "base" robots otherwise.
Some others want it the other way round. And there cant be a consensus on one is "better" than the other, it's a matter of preference.

So in the end, the devs have chosen the most optimized resource-wise. And the most efficient they have found so far is :
It's not the bots chat chose their task, it's the logistic network that requests the closest bot upon procession of a task.

And I'm not even sure this can be modded.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

The solution may be under a personal preference but the current state where you have to wait long times to build blueprints is not preferable for anyone :?
Especially when it's just a cut&paste operation.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

From how I understand the logistic system, it hunts down a list of available robots and assigns jobs to the nearest one.

Could there be an option to exclude "personal roboport network" or "everything except the personal roboport network" on a per blueprint level?

Or is that too difficult?

Personally, while it's a hassle, I just swap out my armour for one that doesn't have a roboport in while I'm deconstructing belts. But there's no equivalent solution for the OP's issue apart from maybe unpowering the nearest roboport.

Just a thought.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I would imagine it as a switch button with options "Player only", "Non-player only" and "All". It would affect all blueprints/deconstructions placed by this particular player.

For example if I want to pick up a line of belts to move it two squares to the left, it is very irritating when robots from stationary roboports are stealing my stuff. It make me not only wait longer but also I often end up with not enough belts, because part of the thing I building is outside of the range of stationary roboports.

The opposite situation is when I want to e.g. deforest part of my base. In this case, I hate when my personal robots bring the wood to me, instead of some logistic chest.
Or alternatively, I might want to place some blueprints and go to another outpost but instead I have to wait for my slow robots to go back to me. And this takes a while because I can't stand too close, so they don't fly out again.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”