Friday Facts #229 - Taiwan report & Lamp staggering

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #229 - Taiwan report & Lamp staggering

Post by Klonan »

KoblerMan wrote:
Mylon wrote:Hooray lamps! It's the little things like this that makes a game great. <3
Xuhybrid wrote:I hate the lamp staggering. Leave it gone.
Well, personally I like the lamp staggering, but maybe since not everyone does it should be a game option?
It won't be a game option, but someone can easily mod it so they all turn on at once

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

A day in Factorio lasts exactly 25000 ticks. A timer takes only one combinator. Lamps are circuitable. Go nuts.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

More than the lamp staggering I miss lamps turning on when darkness creeps in. Every dawn and dusk there is a time when sunlight is dim but lamps are switched off. It's kinda annoying :(
Wish I could change it with circuits.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

Escadin wrote:More than the lamp staggering I miss lamps turning on when darkness creeps in. Every dawn and dusk there is a time when sunlight is dim but lamps are switched off. It's kinda annoying :(
Wish I could change it with circuits.
they will turn on sooner, and stay on later with the update. if you want a lamp timer circuit, i made one here.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

Love the Factorio backdrop. Looks great!

I still think it is worthwhile to hit up game conventions. I'm guessing Factorio won't be your last game. Who knows when those connections will come in handy.

Love the lamp fixes too. As always, great stuff

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

Just one question--when exactly do the lamps start turning on?
I'd like to see some start turning on within a few seconds of "dusk"--just so I'm not walking around blind
Also I'd like to see some lamps still on until a few seconds before the end of "dawn."
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

QGamer wrote:Just one question--when exactly do the lamps start turning on?
I'd like to see some start turning on within a few seconds of "dusk"--just so I'm not walking around blind
Also I'd like to see some lamps still on until a few seconds before the end of "dawn."
after the update, they will turn on about the same time as the players light.

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

I stand by the claim. 鼎泰豐 is the best restaurant in the city. :D Anyone visiting Taiwan should try it.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

yea nobody cant read wtf you said

Prome3us
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Prome3us »

Oh devs, we love the finer touches you guys add! Now finally someone can make those "night sun" superlamps that only turn on when the night is at its darkest!

Ironically, the lamps could teach you a lesson for any future shows- demo staggering. Its impossible to play "just an hour" of factorio, and even more so to show off what's what in less time. Possible solution? Have more than one campaign / freeplay open at different progress levels, heck have posters of the 5 armors to denote how advanced THIS laptop's base is.

That way the die-manual readers among us can have a look at bootstrapping burners phase bases, while the ADHD guy can jump straight into a tank and launch nuke rockets at bugs. It also gives a great feel of how much you have to explore and research through if you have a rocket launching base next to a nearly-automated-reds one.

As always, looking forward to the next fff and the 90 gaming hours till then!

CptnPenguin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CptnPenguin »

The Factorio poster on the booth looks really awesome and I would SO buy one :lol:
Maybe it would be a good idea to add them to your merchandise shop, if you plan on extending it!

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

Drury wrote:
A day in Factorio lasts exactly 25000 ticks. A timer takes only one combinator. Lamps are circuitable. Go nuts.
Like to have a day light sensor for circuit network, (or please make a way to check if solar panel produce power by circuit network ).

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

TheRaph wrote:
Drury wrote:
Like to have a day light sensor for circuit network, (or please make a way to check if solar panel produce power by circuit network ).
Well it isn't strictly necessary, once you have a timer that goes between 0 and 25000 you can just set the lamp to turn on at the value where it's dark enough.

But if you do want a light sensor, you can put a solar panel next to an accumulator and a dummy power consumer (such as a combinator) and check for accumulator charge being 99% or less.

tazdu29
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tazdu29 »

These lamps looks really cool !
Fun fact is that I never put one in my base xD Night vision is sooo useful !

Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bart »

Cool to see these photo's of the game show! The real question is ofcourse, after seeing the picture of the four of you: is Jitka single? ;)
I have the cape.
I make the fucking whoosh noises.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

Lamps are... just lamps (I never even noticed that they don't turn on at the same time) and laser turret graphics is great but not important at all.
Instead I would like to hear any news about the belt compression issue.

alefu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by alefu »

Haha - and I always thought that the lamps not turning on at the same time was some kind of update bug! I am a coder myself, so I guess this is the typical case of "It's a feature, not a bug!" :-)

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

It's always of note to me, that when you guys add or fix something (and explain in the Friday Facts some of the steps involved) That an issue seemingly simple is in fact rarely the case. I do enjoy reading Friday Facts, long may they continue :)

I'm most happy to see staggering lamps back too!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Gergely wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Great work.

but you know what else would be great? the abillity to set what level the night vision activates on modded night vission :P
I think it would be better in the game settings, because it is totally player preference. Even in multiplayer, players should not be locked under the same set of options if this gets implemented.
You are aware that I'm talking about Modded night vision, not base game night vision, right? A flag so the modder can set when a specific night vision turns on.

I have a MK3 night vision that makes things look pretty much like day time, the fact that it has to get pretty dark before they turn on, then suddenly it's like daytime again can be quite... startling.
besides, the way night vision works now, even if it was permanently on (or activated at 99%), you'd barely even notice because when you have full light, it acts as if you're not wearing them. there's just a bit of a grey-scaling effect where it's dark.

I just want a flag to say... turn on at 95% instead of at 50%.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Just yesterday I was looking for a setting like that to fix the lights turning on so late and off so early. Should have read the FFF xD
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “News”