Legacy Train Station Names

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Vile
Inserter
Inserter

Legacy Train Station Names

Post by Vile »

So, before Factorio came out on Steam, you used to purchase it through this site only. If you donated a bit more you got to add a name to a list that was randomly pulled from every time someone built a train station - which is why you now end up with some pretty interesting names from time to time.

For the first time today, I got one that I recognized: MadZuri, which is pretty awesome because I really like his build designs. Anyone else get one that you actually recognize their name?

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Legacy Train Station Names

Post by Gergely »

I got some Oil Refinery named "Hellabadass" (never recognised any) and ever since then, I highly dislike this "feature". It makes no sense, I would be better off with no random names for Labs, Train Stations and Oil Refineries. What's the point of it anyway? What's the point of giving names to random building types? This feature has been annoyed me for quite a while, because it breaks the game's "officiality". I have not seen any game which has sold over one million copies that alters the game play experience with something like this. (Except, Factorio) For anyone with the same problem, I worked out a solution. Go to Factorio > data > core > backers.json Replace the first and only colon (:) with the following piece of text.

Code: Select all

: [""], "ignore":
So, no random names for Factory buildings. (You have to keep redoing this after updates though..!) No more "unique" Labs. It even restores the good old "Station #" names. So you can keep track of which one you built first. (Unlike otherwise.) Handy!

So... I use station counters. I see their names over and over again all the time. No wonder I recognize them.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Gergely wrote:I got some Oil Refinery named "Hellabadass" (never recognised any) and ever since then, I highly dislike this "feature". It makes no sense, I would be better off with no random names for Labs, Train Stations and Oil Refineries. What's the point of it anyway? What's the point of giving names to random building types? This feature has been annoyed me for quite a while, because it breaks the game's "officiality". I have not seen any game which has sold over one million copies that alters the game play experience with something like this. (Except, Factorio) For anyone with the same problem, I worked out a solution. Go to Factorio > data > core > backers.json Replace the first and only colon (:) with the following piece of text.

Code: Select all

: [""], "ignore":
So, no random names for Factory buildings. (You have to keep redoing this after updates though..!) No more "unique" Labs. It even restores the good old "Station #" names. So you can keep track of which one you built first. (Unlike otherwise.) Handy!

So... I use station counters. I see their names over and over again all the time. No wonder I recognize them.
It was there as an initiative and reward for backers to support the game at a higher level.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Personally I would prefer it only be used for things that can also be named manually (so pretty much just train stops, currently). It kind of makes sense in that case, they need some kind of default name, and these are as good as any. I've never seen one I recognized, but some of them are kind of amusing.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Jap2.0 wrote:It was there as an initiative and reward for backers to support the game at a higher level.
So you are saying that basically, they are rewarding some players by annoying some other players. Obviously, they need respect. But not something like this...
ManaUser wrote:Personally I would prefer it only be used for things that can also be named manually (so pretty much just train stops, currently).
Agreed.
Let's stop here. I know I was the first to do so, but we are derailing this topic. (Moderators don't like that...) I would like to make a reminder that the main subject is about names you did recognize, not about discussing whether or not they should be in place.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Gergely wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:It was there as an initiative and reward for backers to support the game at a higher level.
So you are saying that basically, they are rewarding some players by annoying some other players. Obviously, they need respect. But not something like this...
ManaUser wrote:Personally I would prefer it only be used for things that can also be named manually (so pretty much just train stops, currently).
Agreed.
Let's stop here. I know I was the first to do so, but we are derailing this topic. (Moderators don't like that...) I would like to make a reminder that the main subject is about names you did recognize, not about discussing whether or not they should be in place.
I don't think you understand. Factorio was crowd-funded and this was what was promised to people who contributed more money than the cost of the game. Wube already took the money, now, they have built the game with their money and are reaping profits from that investment. They basically have to keep their word to their backers, and give them what they were promised. It would be super-crazy bad mojo to change that. And, yes, it is fair to presume that, in the eyes of the developers, those people who invested in the game up front deserve special treatment and are basically more favored customers than randoms (such as myself) who bought factorio recently but never contributed a dime until the game was ready.

Return to “General discussion”