Too much water?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Olix
Inserter
Inserter

Too much water?

Post by Olix »

Hi,

I've noticed that my current map has way more water than I would expect. It sort of dots all over the place in an annoying way, and makes it hard to build trains. Link: https://imgur.com/a/pcNLe

Annoyingly, my starting are was fine so it took me a long time to notice this problem.

Has anyone else observed this?

Acacel
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Too much water?

Post by Acacel »

well its much better than on my map, so i can tell yes its "normal" in addion if i had to guess its a railworld setting dueto the extra big desert

ASDFGerte
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ASDFGerte »

Without knowing map settings, hard to tell. Probably you got a larger starting area and frequent small water. I personally prefer more diverse maps, this is our current one (megabase). Intercontinental train traffic ftw. I rather dislike that the minimum uranium spawn still results in a lot more uranium than one could possibly use.
Map Screenshot
Map gen settings
Last edited by ASDFGerte on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Olix »

Acacel wrote:well its much better than on my map, so i can tell yes its "normal" in addion if i had to guess its a railworld setting dueto the extra big desert
ASDFGerte wrote:Without knowing map settings, hard to tell. Probably you got a larger starting area and frequent small water.
Acacel is right, I put it on 'rail world' settings, which is supposed to have infrequent but large patches of water. I hoped this would create a few big oceans with lots of land between them, but I guess not.

My guess is that the generation algorithm is something like:

- Every tile in the map has a 'height' value
- Water 'frequency' controls how rapidly adjacent tiles can change height: it is the 'jaggedness'/'roughness' of the height algorithm
- Water 'size' controls a map-wide 'sea level', such that any tile below this level is water, and any tile above it is land.

Here is a gallery that shows 10 maps generated with the same seed, but different settings for water frequency and size: https://imgur.com/gallery/E0R3O

Frequency: Very High, Size: Very Small
Frequency: Very High, Size: Small
Frequency: Very High, Size: Medium
Frequency: Very High, Size: Big
Frequency: Very High, Size: Very Big

Frequency: Very Low, Size: Very Small
Frequency: Very Low, Size: Small
Frequency: Very Low, Size: Medium
Frequency: Very Low, Size: Big
Frequency: Very Low, Size: Very Big

Lots of video games use terrain generation algorithms a little like this, and they are always very disappointing; the terrain is never plausible. I wish all games used terrain generation algorithms as in Dwarf Fortress - modelling geology and erosion patterns. The worlds in Dwarf Fortress are so much more plausible!

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

Olix wrote:Lots of video games use terrain generation algorithms a little like this, and they are always very disappointing; the terrain is never plausible. I wish all games used terrain generation algorithms as in Dwarf Fortress - modelling geology and erosion patterns. The worlds in Dwarf Fortress are so much more plausible!
Good luck re-rolling maps for speedruns with Dwarf Fortress map generation :p

Btw. you might want to put those images in a spoiler tag.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Yeah, it's terrible. In 0.15 you used to be able to get continents and oceans. Now if you try the same you just get snaky land bridges. And even what could be continents have lakes in them cutting them up. You can see that above with "Frequency: Very Low, Size: Big". That's closest to what it should be, but even then there are annoying lakes in what should be a solid continent.

The huge amount of water is also bad for another reason: water is done after resource generation. Resources aren't checked for being under water. So you can have a nice ore patch being cut in half. Thus potentially putting you at in resource shortage

ASDFGerte
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ASDFGerte »

The huge amount of water is also bad for another reason: water is done after resource generation. Resources aren't checked for being under water. So you can have a nice ore patch being cut in half. Thus potentially putting you at in resource shortage
As long as setting resources to the lowest setting makes them not spawn at all, i love that water reduces resources even further. Most maps have too much resources. Way too much. It would be better if the resource settings would be fixed though... :roll:

Return to “General discussion”