Splitter not working properly

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Splitter not working properly

Post by impetus maximus »

would just like to add a couple of things.

the 'classic' lane balancer in the OP is flawed.
pulling from one half of the output will not always pull from both halves of input.

here is a few of better solutions.
compact.single.belt.png
compact.single.belt.png (101.43 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
bufferless.png
bufferless.png (141.83 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
and one without underground exploit. credit goes to our very own Jackalope ;)
20170614210057_1.jpg
20170614210057_1.jpg (155.53 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
also... gif makers, it's 2017! find another way to show your animations.
it saddens and hurts me to see the forum bandwidth you are using.
upload a video, or webm somewhere for god's sake.

jasdjensen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jasdjensen »

tzwaan wrote:Hmm, seems like I've found a repeatable pattern
tzwaan, would you be willing to share a blueprint for this?

Thanks!

fireball
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fireball »

jasdjensen wrote:

Thanks!
Posted by himself:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... er_sorter/

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

fireball wrote:
jasdjensen wrote:

Thanks!
Posted by himself:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... er_sorter/
still don't see a blueprint.

Burny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Burny »

Sorry for reviving this thread.

I was trying to figure out how sorting with splitters work, but I can't get it to work at all.
Is it possible that Factorio v0.16 broke it?

If I am not mistaken, this is the exact same splitter sorter setup as tzwaan has come up with, but it doesn't seem to work with the new patch (at least for me).
tzwaan wrote:I improved the 2 belt throughput version to make it even more compact.

HD version:
https://gfycat.com/BaggyAdolescentBass

Blueprint String:

Code: Select all

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

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There has been a serious change in belt (and probably splitter) mechanics. The previous trick was a random consequence of the belt/splitter mechanics that was not explicitely intended, thus it is not guaranteed it will still work with 0.16 and onward.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Koub wrote:There has been a serious change in belt (and probably splitter) mechanics. The previous trick was a random consequence of the belt/splitter mechanics that was not explicitely intended, thus it is not guaranteed it will still work with 0.16 and onward.
I'd be really happy if that nonsense stopped working, because then they can finally fix the splitters with the same things on both sides.

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

My take on this splitter sorter works almost perfect with 0.16 exept it derped when uupdating and i had to reset all the settings in it.

Apart from that it filters >90% of all items correct, if it only comes in one type of item it is 100%. Fixed it with a few filter inserters to remove any mislabeled items...

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

The Eriksonn wrote:Apart from that it filters >90% of all items correct, if it only comes in one type of item it is 100%.
Now I am wondering what is going wrong in those remaining 10%. Do you have an example of how or where it fails?

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

It fails when the belts coming in are Close to fully compressed and the inputs are somewhat random.

I am using it for my adaptable furnace design to filter the iron/copper to different trains, a few items slip through when it switches ore type, but the filter inserters will easily deal with it.

Can provide Pictures tomorrow if i remember...

teleksterling
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by teleksterling »

Burny wrote:
If I am not mistaken, this is the exact same splitter sorter setup as tzwaan has come up with, but it doesn't seem to work with the new patch (at least for me).
tzwaan wrote:I improved the 2 belt throughput version to make it even more compact.

Hi there,

I believe, as with all of these sorters, you still always need to prime them by inserting, your case, four iron or four ore, in between the two columns of four splitters (one in front of each splitter). It may still not work in 0.16, but if definitely won't work without priming.

Burny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Burny »

I just spent the last few days figuring out splitter sorters and now finally got them to work!
Some splitter sorter blueprints leak a few items here and there, I guess that is because of the compressed input and the changed way of sideloading, but here are my results:

As teleksterling wrote, you first have to prime certain splitters (the ones that have a combinator in front, in my videos) - you drop a piece of iron ore and you are good to go!
I was able to come up with a few designs, I even got the one from tzwaan to work.

https://youtu.be/bC3OsD0h2J8

https://youtu.be/oLEwrswzZgg

An iron ore filter:

Sadly (and happily?!) a new patch (0.16.16) arrived 9 hours ago. I loaded up my savegame of splitter sorters and they all broke. :(
RIP

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

Burny wrote:Sadly (and happily?!) a new patch (0.16.16) arrived 9 hours ago. I loaded up my savegame of splitter sorters and they all broke. :(
RIP
Yep, this feature was intentionally removed. Probably for the better, but let us take a moment of silence for the loss of this awesome art of old-school splitter sorting.... :cry:

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Finally! Splitters work properly with the same stuff on both sides!

:D :D :D

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well there is now the issue isn the picture in this post, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56444&start=40#p333454 which is less than desirable, at least in my opinion.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Zavian wrote:Well there is now the issue isn the picture in this post, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56444&start=40#p333454 which is less than desirable, at least in my opinion.
- Why do you have mixed materials in the same belt lane? copper goes up, iron goes down, fixed.
- It's extremely unrealistic to have a belt with perfectly alternating materials on it.

So I'd consider that issue (which you can fix) much less of a problem than ugly splitting of a compressed belt (which you could not fix)

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I always found the old "ugly splitting of a compressed belt" was mainly a cosmetic issue. I can't recall it ever causing any actual problems. If supply exceeds demand, then eventually one of the output lane will backup to the splitter at which point the splitter will start sending down the other lane. Even if that doesn't happen, each of the output belts are still carry exactly half the input belt, the fact that all the output is on one lane of the belt shouldn't cause problems unless you are sideloading into a underground, and hence blocking one of the lanes. (If you are sideloading that way, well that's potentially a design issue. In this case it will also cause that output lane to block up to the splitter, and the splitter will very quickly start sending stuff down the other lane. So again I don't see the problem).

Do you have a image of the old "ugly splitting of a compressed belt" actually causing a real problem?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Zavian wrote:Do you have a image of the old "ugly splitting of a compressed belt" actually causing a real problem?
Yeah, the problem is that some of my belts were ugly. I find visual quality to be more important than some belt sorting tricks that I'd never have a use for.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Zeblote wrote:
Zavian wrote:Do you have a image of the old "ugly splitting of a compressed belt" actually causing a real problem?
Yeah, the problem is that some of my belts were ugly. I find visual quality to be more important than some belt sorting tricks that I'd never have a use for.
Just insure that supply exceeds demand and belts will backup and you shouldn't have a problem.

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

Zavian wrote:Just insure that supply exceeds demand and belts will backup and you shouldn't have a problem.
Except the opportunity cost problem. Backed up belts prevent you from spending those resources elsewhere in the factory.

Return to “Gameplay Help”