0.16 Map generation Feedback

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Post by tk0421 »

resource issues aside (yeah, im getting those too)

I'm not a fan of the the new pastel colors.

and im very underwhelmed by cliffs.

frostig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by frostig »

Iam not a fan of the new water/land generation. Iam 15hrs in my 0.16 map and was wondering about the watergeneration so i used the command to reveal the map and its basically a maze with small seas and small land stripes inbetween. For this playthrough i will use the mod "no lakes" which removes any water from new chunk generation.

I downgraded to 0.15.40 and loaded an old map i created in 0.15.x. Here is was it looks like when i reveal it with the command from the wiki:

https://imgur.com/n583B2M

I loaded the same map in 0.16.7:

https://imgur.com/5r4gEHz

Iam much in favor for the old generation. I liked the big seas with enough land inbetween to build around. There also were small lakes in my way i had to get rid of with landfill but it was well balanced imo.

With the new generation its such a hassle to build around the small waterspots and i have to use landfill anyways before i can build big. Not sure if this is intended but as feedback i want to tell you i dont like it this way and was pretty happy with the old one.

edit: Both my new map and this old map are trainworld setting.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

I think there is an issue with resource generation on maps with lots of water - it seems that map generator puts resource patches properly as if it was pure land-map but ignores large patches of water and tries to put patches ontop of it. Results are that some resources end up almost always drowned.

It seems that RSO doesn't have this problem, because afaik it only works with non-water terrain to begin with.

manpapper
Inserter
Inserter

Post by manpapper »

I hope they will fix resource generation on top of water pretty soon :)
Or some kind of radar to reveal resource under the water which we can access with landfills :)

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Is map generator moddable?
I mean terrain generation, not resource allocation - that can be modded since Bob and RSO do it.

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

Is it me or do the maps barely have any enemies in them? In preview with highest settings I barely saw any enemies. Compared to the older map generator where with the highest setting, once you left starting area, there was impassable wall of enemy bases and thousands of bitters just waiting to kill you.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

roman566 wrote:Is it me or do the maps barely have any enemies in them? In preview with highest settings I barely saw any enemies. Compared to the older map generator where with the highest setting, once you left starting area, there was impassable wall of enemy bases and thousands of bitters just waiting to kill you.
Are you sure it was at beginning of game?
Biter's bases usually grow and evolve due to pollution, during game, and are not so impassible at start.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55178&p=326011&hilit=biter#p326011 for a discussion on the new biter generation settings.

Matthias_Wlkp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Matthias_Wlkp »

After playing for roughly 16 hours on .16 map I must say, that I really like how resources and trees are generated.

It's so much easier to keep everything spaced out - there is more than enough free, empty areas in the starting zone. No need to spend ton of time to clear the ground for a massive ore processing center any more! It also helps when driving around in the car - less trees to bump into!

As the resources are much more spread out, it helps a lot with using rails - compared to previous versions, it was much easier for me to setup initial rail system without feeling overwhelmed with conveyor spaghetti around it. I'm fairly casual player and I'm enjoying the new setup by far!

Also, the occasional cliffs add so much to the terrain variety - the map now looks complete. The only thing that I miss so fare are large lakes.

Nazair
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nazair »

Is it only me but with new version it seems impossible to generate map with a stone deposit somewhere near starting area...

With 0.14/0.15 there was so many nice maps - island, islands, continents, peninsulas. With 0.16 I can either generate flat map or medium sized islands with not enough resources...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Nazair wrote:Is it only me but with new version it seems impossible to generate map with a stone deposit somewhere near starting area...
It's only you :)
Well maybe not, but with default settings, I most of the time had some stone. However, on the map, stone can be VERY hard to see, it has a color very similar with some terrains.
Sometimes, I could tell there was stone ojnly by accidentally hovering over a patch on the minimap with my mouse.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Nazair wrote:Is it only me but with new version it seems impossible to generate map with a stone deposit somewhere near starting area...
Stone seems to be pretty rare. But it's also very hard to see on the map with the new terrain. The color is almost exactly the same as some of gray/light brown areas

Xtrafresh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xtrafresh »

frostig wrote:Iam not a fan of the new water/land generation. Iam 15hrs in my 0.16 map and was wondering about the watergeneration so i used the command to reveal the map and its basically a maze with small seas and small land stripes inbetween. For this playthrough i will use the mod "no lakes" which removes any water from new chunk generation.

I downgraded to 0.15.40 and loaded an old map i created in 0.15.x. Here is was it looks like when i reveal it with the command from the wiki:

https://imgur.com/n583B2M

I loaded the same map in 0.16.7:

https://imgur.com/5r4gEHz

Iam much in favor for the old generation. I liked the big seas with enough land inbetween to build around. There also were small lakes in my way i had to get rid of with landfill but it was well balanced imo.

With the new generation its such a hassle to build around the small waterspots and i have to use landfill anyways before i can build big. Not sure if this is intended but as feedback i want to tell you i dont like it this way and was pretty happy with the old one.

edit: Both my new map and this old map are trainworld setting.
+1 on this! I've resorted to generating and revealing a massive map in 0.15, loading it in 0.16, and hoping the biters arent going to slow it down too much. I don't know what you changed in the coastline generation, but I think it's a step backwards as far as generated maps are concerned.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

100% prefer the old style of map generation, don't know how not to generate the snakey maps, want something more that looks like an actual landmass. not Pandora box map
Avezo wrote: I miss being able to make map like this. Just saying.
+1
Attachments
old.jpg
old.jpg (257.96 KiB) Viewed 7544 times

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

Kewlhotrod wrote:100% prefer the old style of map generation, don't know how not to generate the snakey maps, want something more that looks like an actual landmass. not Pandora box map
That's a cool map, can you share 0.15 map seed?

Tomarev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tomarev »

Hi.

In 0.16.7 version map generator has strange behavior. I use "railworld" setting with small differences. Sometimes map has no cliffs at all (with normal cliffs setting). Sometimes resources are inadequately rare. For example, this map has normal distribution of iron, and extremely law distribution of copper (both settings are standart). Is it a bug?
Attachments
NoCopper.jpg
NoCopper.jpg (379.66 KiB) Viewed 7475 times

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Copper has been made rarer in comparison to iron because - at least with non-expensive recipes - you need less of it. Might be that plus some randomness

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-217

Tomarev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tomarev »

Serenity wrote:Copper has been made rarer in comparison to iron because - at least with non-expensive recipes - you need less of it. Might be that plus some randomness

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-217
From changelog list: "There is 1.49 times more iron on the map."

My map contains 10M of copper and 45M of iron (settings are standart). With expensive mode it is a bit hard to obtain enough copper.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Copper vs. Iron consupmtion depends very much where on you put production modules in science chain.

I don't think devs ever analized all of possibilities of such choices after the science change in 0.15.

Nazair
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nazair »

So I guess until some fix/change the best way to get proper map is to generate it with 0.15 and then play in 0.16 ;x

Return to “General discussion”