Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Loewchen »

hreintke wrote:Any hint on where I have a mistake in this setup ?
Inserter only interact with a train in automatic mode if it is stopped in a station.

hreintke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hreintke »

Hi,

My idea was that the train was stopped in the station.

Solved it now by manual add some fuel, after a roundtrip the refuel worked as expected.

My assumption now is that the fuel shortage occured second(s) after leaving the station -> It only looks like it is in the station but actually it is not.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

What's a reasonable number of labs (running continuously) to shoot for when trying to finish up all the non-infinite research? Notably nukes are still to be done. That 5000 looks intimidating.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

ManaUser wrote:What's a reasonable number of labs (running continuously) to shoot for when trying to finish up all the non-infinite research? Notably nukes are still to be done. That 5000 looks intimidating.
As many as the rest of your factory can keep fed ? (If your flask production is keeping up, then adding labs is cheap and easy, once your flask production is no longer keeping up, scaling everything else up can take a while).

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

I to clarify, I'm talking about expanding science pack production for that last push to finish off the expensive stuff. "Number of Labs Running" just seemed like a good way to quantify it. Perhaps that was a mistake, now that I think about it, this would depend on how much you've upgraded research speed (if any) and what modules you use in your labs. So let me rephrase.

How many Science Packs of Per Minute (of each type) should I shoot for if I'm trying to finish off all the non-infinite research?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

ManaUser wrote:I to clarify, I'm talking about expanding science pack production for that last push to finish off the expensive stuff. "Number of Labs Running" just seemed like a good way to quantify it.
Well I could tell you that I'm doing 0.75 flasks per second atm, and will upgrade to 1.25 flask/sec once I get new smelting outposts and rocket production up and running. After that I plan to rebuild for 15.4 flasks/sec, but that probably won't be done before I start on infinite mining productivity research.

If you build 5 red, 6 green 12 blue science assemblers using mk 2 assemblers you get 0.75 flaks/sec. Upgrade then to mk3 assemblers and you get 1.25 science/sec. If I recall correctly 0.75 flasks/sec will feed about 21-22 labs with max lab speed research, and 1.25 will feed 35-36. 2.5 would be double that obviously. So pick a goal and build as big as you want/you can be bothered feeding. At 1.25/sec 5000 will take 66 mins. Not really that long if you are busy building/expanding.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Alright, thanks. That gives me some hard numbers are a starting place at least.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

ManaUser wrote:Alright, thanks. That gives me some hard numbers are a starting place at least.
I can tell that 2/sec (recipe wise) is a good way to go. It will scale to 2.5/sec with Assembler 3.
However the real problem is in high tech flasks which consume pretty damn many resources especially blue circuits.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
ManaUser wrote:Alright, thanks. That gives me some hard numbers are a starting place at least.
I can tell that 2/sec (recipe wise) is a good way to go. It will scale to 2.5/sec with Assembler 3.
However the real problem is in high tech flasks which consume pretty damn many resources especially blue circuits.
Yes, I found that out. Number 3 (blue) and Production science packs can be a hassle, but High Tech puts them to shame. The amount of copper and iron it consumes is amazing.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Yeah the problem is not how big do I build, but also how much can I keep fed. Which is why my initial answer was "As many as the rest of your factory can keep fed?"

Nefael
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nefael »

Hi,

I though the buffer chest would have priority over the requester but my stuff seems to be equally divided between every requester and buffer chest. Did I miss something ?g

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Nefael wrote:Hi,

I though the buffer chest would have priority over the requester but my stuff seems to be equally divided between every requester and buffer chest. Did I miss something ?g
It's a bit work in progress.
Devs are planning to upgrade it - details are in last FFF:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-222

Planks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Planks »

Is it intended that productivity modules become relatively irrelevant in late game mining?

My baseline mining bonus from research is 272% and each productivity 3 is only a further 10% additive (for a total of 302%), rather than multiplicative which would be 354%

However, the pollution and speed debuffs hit just as hard

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Planks wrote:Is it intended that productivity modules become relatively irrelevant in late game mining?

My baseline mining bonus from research is 272% and each productivity 3 is only a further 10% additive (for a total of 302%), rather than multiplicative which would be 354%
Just to point out the obvious, they might irrelevant for mining drills, but you can use them other places.

gerogaga
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gerogaga »

Question: (about the circuit system) Can you do this: if belt 1 is empty then belt 2 is enabled? Thanks for the answer(s):)

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

gerogaga wrote:Question: (about the circuit system) Can you do this: if belt 1 is empty then belt 2 is enabled? Thanks for the answer(s):)
That's probably the easiest solution to your problem:

Simply build two parallel belts and connect them with a splitter.
Just before the splitter, connect two belts directly with some circuit wire (red or green). This should look like this:

To tell the upper belt to not operate until the lower belt is empty, set this as it's condition:

On the other transport belt, you need to turn it into read operation. Make sure to select "Hold" as operation mode, else it won't work:

Result: If the lower belt is empty, the upper one will start to operate and feed the chest on the right:
Former moderator.

porcupineslug
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by porcupineslug »

hello all, loving the new changes
game version 0.16.15 (no mods)

we started a 3 man pvp game but are playing all as allies for the time being, a 4th friend wanted to join but they were assigned to the green 1 team by default.
they wanted to start up their own base etc, so i ran the following commands:

/c game.create_force('Blue 4')
/c game.players['billy'].force=game.forces["Blue 4']

which seemed to work, then i ran all the combos of these 2 to get everyone allied up:

/c game.forces['Blue 4'].set_cease_fire('Green 1', true)
/c game.forces['Blue 4'].set_friend('Yellow 3', true)

now things seem to be working, the only question i have is there a way to add the "Blue 4" team onto the built in diplomacy menu (we are not running any mods), as it is now only the initial 3 teams are shown (green 1, purple 2, yellow 3)

thanks

dede
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dede »

I just started sooooooo.... basic question

Version 0.15.40

Science pack 1.
It s writing 5 sec to create but in the assembling machine 1 it needs 10 secondes. (i measured it IRL on my phone)
What do I miss?

Thank you.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

dede wrote:I just started sooooooo.... basic question

Version 0.15.40

Science pack 1.
It s writing 5 sec to create but in the assembling machine 1 it needs 10 secondes. (i measured it IRL on my phone)
What do I miss?

Thank you.
The crafting speed of 0.5: https://wiki.factorio.com/Assembling_machine_1

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

[16.6]

How to force train to WAIT if next scheduled stop is disabled? Skipping it has no sense to me...

I have simple schedule:
> train stop A) - GET STUFF
> train stop B) - HOLDER STATION
> train stop C) - DROP STUFF Many stations with conditions, (train stop enabled = need resources)

I want train to wait at station B until station C is ready (without wiring entire map...), not return to station A, just to stop there for a second, back to Holder, and so on in a loop :/

Return to “Gameplay Help”