I made a calculator for all you OCD planners out there

Calculate optimal ratios for feeding recipes, search through the research-tree, specialized tools to view game-information.
AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: I made a calculator for all you OCD planners out there

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

I love tools like this, and I haven't seen any of them getting updated, so I forked, updated, and made a pull request. (Well, it looks like there's been some recent activity in this thread, but I only noticed after I put in all the work. :) )It's up to rubyruy to pull the changes in, but in the meantime, you can use my fork. Just use his original url, and replace "rubyruy" with "antibluequirk". (I'd post a link, but I'm not allowed yet.)

brindyblitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by brindyblitz »

Hey folks, I was trying to avoid this until rubyruy could merge my changes, but it's clear the community's patience is starting to wear thin...

I've made a fork of my own which is 0.15.x compatible. Additionally, it has a lot of new features, such as:
  • Support for adding multiple recipes, which all then contribute to the main total
  • UI cleanup to make it more readable
  • "Explain" function that tries to educate the user on how the tool arrived at the numbers
  • Bulk Import/Export. Enter multiple recipes as text, which you can then save locally as a text field
  • Add support for calculating the number of miners needed for ore
You can find it at https://abrindam.github.io/factorio-calc/

I am still working to get my changes merged into the original rubyruy version so hopefully eventually we can go back to that URL.

brindyblitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by brindyblitz »

Updated my fork with 0.15.9 given the big changes to the science pack recipes.

BAIZOR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BAIZOR »

Thanks. Its very nice that you updated it to 15 version.
Please fix this issue with limited layout rendering
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (40.53 KiB) Viewed 8584 times

brindyblitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by brindyblitz »

OK, I think I've fixed the issue with the layout section being cut off.

If the layout is too big to fit on the screen, it should now scroll horizontally.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

BAIZOR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BAIZOR »

Yeah! It works awesome. Good job! :D

justincuster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by justincuster »

brindyblitz wrote:Updated my fork with 0.15.9 given the big changes to the science pack recipes.
Thank you!
- Justin -

Fashnoth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fashnoth »

Amazing thx
:D

ThwartMantella
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThwartMantella »

I currently play on the experimental 1.15.x and the info box of yellow belts states a speed of 13.333 items/s. 13.333 * 60 = 799.9999998 items/minute or 800 items/min as also stated on the official Factorio Wiki. The calculator uses a speed of 399.60 items/min for yellow belts. The speeds for red and blue belts seem to be off too. Is this a bug?

brindyblitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by brindyblitz »

Mostly, the issue here is what the actual values means, rather than a calculation error.

You'll notice the value you're getting is approximately half of what you expect. This is because the value you're getting, "# Assembly Lines," considers an assembly line to be one side of the belt, rather than both sides. The values you have (13.333) is for BOTH sides of the belt, so therefore these numbers are off by half.

I believe the "Explain" link in the UI should mention the value is for one side of the belt.

I completely understand that whether you interpret "# Assembly Lines" be one or both sides of the belt is basically a toss-up, so I'm open to suggestions on what should be changed to clarify this. Let me know!

In addition, there appears to be slight discrepancies in the number due to rounding (the real number for one side of the belt is 400 items/min, not 399.60). This is due to us inputting the belt speed with just two decimals places of precision. We should fix that.

Lilly
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lilly »

brindyblitz wrote:In addition, there appears to be slight discrepancies in the number due to rounding (the real number for one side of the belt is 400 items/min, not 399.60). This is due to us inputting the belt speed with just two decimals places of precision. We should fix that.
I believe that this discrepancy is intentional. Even though 400/min is the maximum throughput, it is near impossible to reach in practice. Which means your assemblers will be idle some of the time, resulting in an output that is slightly less than what you specified. Reducing the belt capacity by a tiny amount (0.1%), ensures that belts won't be a bottleneck.

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

This tool is out of date. To some extent the numbers are correct, however I suspect certainly belt changes have not been taken into account. It is telling me that a normal belt can handle only 10 steel smelters worth of output of copper/iron plate per belt. In 0.16 this is actually 24 smelters worth of output with 12 on each side.

brindyblitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by brindyblitz »

Looks like you're hitting this issue, https://github.com/rubyruy/factorio-calc/issues/50

This is lame, but you can fix it by switching the belt speed to fast and then back basic again and it will give you the correct results.

Now that someone's complained, I'll try to fix that bug (anyone else with programming knowledge is also welcome to give it a try too!).

ojafuenf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ojafuenf »

Here is a patch for updating to 0.17.11 experimental.
It adds the updated recipes, introduces the new belt and drill speeds and sets the default belt speed to the new basic belt.

Sorry, I don't have my github credentials on me.
Attachments
0_17_11.patch.txt
(64 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Return to “Cheatsheets / Calculators / Viewers”