4-lane to 2-lane junction

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

4-lane to 2-lane junction

Post by vanatteveldt »

I want to upgrade my 'backbone' to 4 lanes (2 each direction) while keeping the rest of the network on 2 lane track. I guess I could take any odd 4-lane intersection and merge/split the ends, but I thought I would try my hand at designing one. I started from the "traditional" junction in the stickied intersections thread, and turned the sideways branches into 2 lane. I also wanted to change the spacing: the sideways branches are spaced 9 apart (leaving room for two rail in between with 2 block spacing, which is my normal distance between stations) and the middle lanes of the 4 lane track are spaced 8 apart (leaving room for a lane changer in between).

Note that not all lanes are connected: the outer tracks do the left turns, the inner track the right turns (it's left hand drive / LHD). So, to allow anywhere-to-anywhere connections I need to place lane changers between junctions.

This is my first real try to design a junction, so far I just copied good designs :). So what I tried to make sure was (1) to have chain signals before each crossing and a normal signal at the exit points; and (2) that traffic that doesn't need to interfere doesn't interfere, i.e. opposing right turns can go simultaneously and the straight lanes in the same direction are all isolated from each other. I think those are the desired properties and that I managed to do this, but all feedback welcome!
image with lane changer and distances
image with rail blocks
blueprint

SQLek
Inserter
Inserter

Re: 4-lane to 2-lane junction

Post by SQLek »

In upper right, in the path from bottom to right, one chain signal isn't symmetric... my apologies for my ocd :lol:

Neat design :D

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

SQLek wrote:In upper right, in the path from bottom to right, one chain signal isn't symmetric... my apologies for my ocd :lol:
The horror! :D

Thanks for your interest and let me know if you spot any (other) mistakes!

Divaya
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Divaya »

Oh hey, I'm the deisnger of the traditional intersection and I actually made 4-2 intersection:
Blueprint
I like your wide version (and wide 2-lanes) better, though. It would have made upgrading from 2 lane to 4 lane in my save a lot less painful.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Divaya wrote:Oh hey, I'm the deisnger of the traditional intersection and I actually made 4-2 intersection:
[..]
I like your wide version (and wide 2-lanes) better, though. It would have made upgrading from 2 lane to 4 lane in my save a lot less painful.
Thanks :). Although in that case I should really make the wide 2-lanes one wider, as now it doesn't quite match the distance between inner lanes in the 4-lane track...

Return to “Railway Setups”