Furnance stuck by inserter

Things that has been reported already before.
Tax
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Furnance stuck by inserter

Post by Tax »

Hello,
I've tried to report the same bug as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8275&p=319915#p65475

but was advised to create new topic. So here I am.

So description once again:
When having (steel) furnace being fed from belt having two resources, accidental it got stuck. I.e. furnace is smelting stone and waiting for next piece, but inserter grabs copper ore instead and stuck. Because holding iron ore which cannot be put into furnace as it's waiting for next stone. See picture:

image upload

This can be resolved only manually removing stone from furnace.
So fr I'm not able to find exactly when it grabs different resource but will try to find out.

Version: 0.15.40 (build 30950, linux 64, alpha) no mods
Environment: Linux, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (4.4.0-101-generic)

Thanks,
Tax

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Furnance stuck by inserter

Post by Zavian »

I've never tried a mixed belt approach to smelting like that. I think you are way better off with one row of furnaces per resource.

Yes I know that's a work around for your issue, but I think it is also good practice. Doing a mixed smelting setup that way means you need to sort the output belt to be able to have any sort of sane and scalable setup for the consumers of your iron and copper plates that won't also won't get blocked if you suddenly start producing/using more of one resource. Since you already have sorted inputs, and you should have separate output belts, why try to do a mixed smelting setup? (If you really want to do then use filter inserters and combinators to make sure that each inserter can only switch which item it is picking up when it is safe to do so.

Lastly it will be easier and faster for the devs to investigate if you upload a save that demonstrates this problem.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

viewtopic.php?f=193&t=54351 or the many other similar designs, or use filter inserters, or use seperate columns for each are, like most people.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Tax
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tax »

Hello thanks for replies.

I've run into this as a newbie in "New hope" scenario. Placement partially leads to this as stone was quite near to lower furnace belt. Yes using filtered inserter is probably the only option in this case but it's expensive in early stages (later this problem will probably not occur as there will be enough resources to split belt and build separate furnaces for each resource)

I've read through:
Loewchen wrote:21993
where is this discussed (don't know why I didn't find it when I searched for any info about this). Understand that it's not considered a bug as it's feature of furnace and has nothing to do with inserter. Maybe it could be good to update wiki by this information so there's no other posts like this.

Thanks again

Return to “Duplicates”