Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Jon8RFC »

Rseding91 wrote:
Jon8RFC wrote:
vedrit wrote:Will trains have passenger seats?
This may be old information to you, but maybe others don't know, or don't attempt to hitch a ride on a long train on a high-latency multiplayer server and can't find out on accident. Each cargo wagon can hold a player.
? There are no issues with riding in trains in MP. I fixed the one issue a few months ago.
On low-latency servers I don't seem to have a problem, but on higher latency servers, unless the train is going very slowly, I can't easily and reliably hitch a ride. The same thing happens when trying to mine the train I'm in when it's moving quickly. On low-latency servers, it's no problem. Placing belts while running leaves gaps as well, but I always assumed that it was intended to not be able to keep up with higher latency, so I never reported it as a bug.

If you have a debug version, once my go-to server is updated to 0.15.38, I can try and hop onto some trains and send you the logs it produces.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Rseding91 wrote:
No, no, one of the two players controls the guns depending on the setting in the vehicle. It means nothing for network syncing it's just game logic like if you sat in a train.

To be honest, Factorio lacks proper gun control. For example in a tank you have 3! weapons. How you are supposed to control them without extreme inconvenience is beyond me. I mean, who really wants to switch through the weapons with the TAB key all the time. One shot with the main gun -> switch to machinegun -> Main gun ready to fire again -> TAB 2 times to get back to main gun. If enemy hoardes get to close, you TAB again -> Flame thrower -> reload complete of main gun -> TAB again.... etc.

It just sux, and me personally, I just don't bother using anything else than machine gun.

But if you would actually separate the fire controls, for example put main weapon on left mouse button, and secondary weapon on right mouse button. Maybe tertiary weapon on space, or middle mouse button.
That way, it would actually be convenient and fun to use multiple weapon systems simultaneously.

Just my 2 cent, for what it's worth.

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

Aardwolf wrote:Predictable starting areas and resources does sound a bit boring actually!

Would be fun to have a world setting for "anything goes".
Second that. There should be either an option to turn off guaranteed starting resources or there should be a difficulty setting where this is turned off.

Nothing against keeping beginners from a frustrating dead end, but as an experienced player I want as much diversity in my starting area as possible. And a "puzzle" start like "Has this isle enough resources to get off it eventually" can make the early game interesting again for experienced players.

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

Dreepa wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
No, no, one of the two players controls the guns depending on the setting in the vehicle. It means nothing for network syncing it's just game logic like if you sat in a train.

To be honest, Factorio lacks proper gun control. For example in a tank you have 3! weapons. How you are supposed to control them without extreme inconvenience is beyond me. I mean, who really wants to switch through the weapons with the TAB key all the time. One shot with the main gun -> switch to machinegun -> Main gun ready to fire again -> TAB 2 times to get back to main gun. If enemy hoardes get to close, you TAB again -> Flame thrower -> reload complete of main gun -> TAB again.... etc.

It just sux, and me personally, I just don't bother using anything else than machine gun.

But if you would actually separate the fire controls, for example put main weapon on left mouse button, and secondary weapon on right mouse button. Maybe tertiary weapon on space, or middle mouse button.
That way, it would actually be convenient and fun to use multiple weapon systems simultaneously.

Just my 2 cent, for what it's worth.
I like this Idea. It is a pain for player weapon too.

But as we know it from serveral other games (e.g. ego shooter) it realisticly needs time to change your weapon. So I like to have differenzt keys to SELECT a weapon. Maybe STRG + 1 / 2 / 3 ...
I also like to have seperate keys for every Item-Belt item (Like 1-0 for lower row and SHIFT+ 1- 0 for upper row)instead of swiching trough the rows. There are to many situation you have to tab trough things.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Rseding91 wrote:
Jon8RFC wrote:
vedrit wrote:Will trains have passenger seats?
This may be old information to you, but maybe others don't know, or don't attempt to hitch a ride on a long train on a high-latency multiplayer server and can't find out on accident. Each cargo wagon can hold a player.
? There are no issues with riding in trains in MP. I fixed the one issue a few months ago.
I think he ment that while trying to jump onto the locomotive you end up in the train car because you missed it.

Return to “News”