Mod issues when syncing across computers using Steam

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Avacado
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Mod issues when syncing across computers using Steam

Post by Avacado »

Hi, I play the Seablock Pack with a couple extra mods (including long reach) and am having a few issues when switching computers.

Steam cloud sync automatically syncs the saves between my computers. I've made sure to sync both computers to the same mods and both are up to date.

I'm having two issues: First, every time I switch computers Long-Reach distances are reduced, but when I check settings they still read 4000 distance. If I hit "apply" without changing anything it doesn't fix it. I have to change them to something else like 4001 and hit apply to get long-reach to work again.

The second issues is both computers have different values for some of the research amounts. Solar Panels Technology on one computer cost 250 Red/250 Green and on the other computer cost 500 Red/500 Green.

I assume these problems are both somehow related to mod configs, which is why I'm just making a single post. Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix this?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod issues when syncing across computers using Steam

Post by eradicator »

Best guess: One one system you manually changed some of the mod settings (or joined a server with non-default), and on the other you used the "sync mods with savegame" feature which downloads the mods fresh from the mod-portal with default settings. Voila you're running two different mod-settings configs on both systems.

Solution 1: sync "mod-settings.json" file (inside the folder where your mods are stored) on both computers
Solution 2: open up a multiplayer game with system 1, then attempt to join the game with system 2, you should get a popup allowing you to automatically sync both installations. done. (actually joining the game might cause errors because you're using the same account==player name on both systems.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Avacado
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Avacado »

Yup, looks like that was source of the second issue and syncing mod-settings.json did the job and even though that didn't appear to be the location of the first issue, I was able to make a workaround for the first issue using that file.

The first issue turned out to be a little different because the mod-settings.json matched for both of those (long-reach set to 125) even though I had changed the ingame settings to 4000. For some reason every time I switched it would bring the game back to the mod-settings.json default instead of using the value that maybe goes along with the save. I was able to fix this by just increasing both mod-settings.json files to long-reach=4000, so that the "revert to default" issue reverts to the value I wanted in the first place.

Thanks for all your help!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Avacado wrote: The first issue turned out to be a little different because the mod-settings.json matched for both of those (long-reach set to 125) even though I had changed the ingame settings to 4000. For some reason every time I switched it would bring the game back to the mod-settings.json default instead of using the value that maybe goes along with the save. I was able to fix this by just increasing both mod-settings.json files to long-reach=4000, so that the "revert to default" issue reverts to the value I wanted in the first place.
This mod? https://mods.factorio.com/mods/jamesaguilar/long-reach
I looked at the code and didn't see any obvious mistakes that would cause what you described. So maybe it's a bug in the base game. If you can reproduce it it might be worth a bug report.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Technical Help”