Robots vs. belts

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Robots vs. belts

Post by Pascali »

hi, whats the better way to transport the things. Robots or belts? So is there need for belts in the lategame?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Robots vs. belts

Post by BlakeMW »

Bots for short-medium range and trains for long range is the ultimate logistics strategy.

The main advantage of belts is they are really cheap compared with bots, especially the bot upgrades and the bot charging requirements can be considered to be significant expenses. But if you're willing to pay the price for bots they're basically better.
Don't use bots for medium-long range bulk transportation - if the bots usually have to charge more than once to make a delivery it's probably too far. Belts can be good for these intermediate distances - but so can trains. Good organization almost eliminates the need for such trips.
Beware that bots don't handle multiple sources and multiple destinations within the same logistic network very gracefully, for example if you have a big factory, and on opposite sides of the factory you have iron smelters, and iron ore is unloaded at both smelters and you want the ore to be delivered by bots from the unloading stations to the nearby furnaces, well some bots will be dumb enough to fly clear across the factory to get iron ore from the far unloading station. Bots are exceptional when you organize things well - using separate logistic networks connected by trains when necessary. If your factory is really disorganized and stuff is happening all over the place requiring frequent long deliveries with many charging stops, bots can be pretty bad.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

For a normal (ie not mega-base) factories build what you want. Bots make for simpler designs, but they also remove much of the challenge in factory layout. (They do introduce some of their own challenges, but they are normally easily solved for small bot networks)

Also the advantages of bots over belts in large factories is that bots are more cpu efficient compared to belts, which makes it easier to scale up to mega-base scale..

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

Zavian wrote:Bots make for simpler designs, but they also remove much of the challenge in factory layout.
That is, was i think. I love the game, because of the beltsystem. That is 85% of the fun. And now i am getting to bots and they are more effective, if you are using some independent(some for turret-repair, some for fabriklane1, some for fabriklane2). So it is a bad feeling to have mor effecitve system but the system is less funny. In my eyes you have to start with bots and they have to get ineffecitve, if you build a good beltsystem.

I hope their won´t ever bee a possitiblity to define botsystems(with colors or something). In the end there will be a possibility to beam all things around. Be i am alone with this feelings? Factorio until gettings bots -> nice game! After that, getting a lot of more boring.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Pascali wrote:
Zavian wrote:Bots make for simpler designs, but they also remove much of the challenge in factory layout.
That is, was i think. I love the game, because of the beltsystem. That is 85% of the fun. And now i am getting to bots and they are more effective, if you are using some independent(some for turret-repair, some for fabriklane1, some for fabriklane2). So it is a bad feeling to have mor effecitve system but the system is less funny. In my eyes you have to start with bots and they have to get ineffecitve, if you build a good beltsystem.

I hope their won´t ever bee a possitiblity to define botsystems(with colors or something). In the end there will be a possibility to beam all things around. Be i am alone with this feelings? Factorio until gettings bots -> nice game! After that, getting a lot of more boring.
You don't have to use bots :).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

Yes, but i know that they are more effecitve, so i wan´t. And the biters are going stronger, too. The repair-feature is nice to have too. The game would feel nicer if the transport feature wouldn´t be such a killer-feature. Maybe useful(working) for 2 (new) goods. But if you whole belt-network and system is shit, after robot possibility - it´s a bad feeling. A lot of time, i would build a nice belt, i put in 1 robot thing - done. Not the fun like with doing it with belts.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

There are other challenges other than belt layout. Bots empower beaconized setups (most typically alternating rows of speed beacons w/ productivity assemblers) that have tremendous assembler throughput, to the point where you might need 5 fully upgraded stack inserters to keep up with the assembler throughput - belts can't keep up with this kind of throughput (it works out something like almost an entire blue belt for one assembler), bots can keep up, but need very solid charging infrastructure, and then you have to somehow feed the voracious appetite of the beaconized setup, meaning complex train networks - and you want to pack in the train stations and roboports as tightly as possible to keep bot travel times down, but they don't fit neatly within beaconized setups - meaning more layout challenges.

Really, once you start really exploiting the power of bots (not just using them as a convenience) the primary logistical challenge moves to trains.

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

hm o.k., i will see. But still i would like to have some fabric-setups where belts are the best solution.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well you can do a beaconed build with belts. It's just more challenging to design and layout and scale up than an equivalent bot based one, and uses more cpu cycles for the same output. (The highest throughput factories tend to be bot based, but that is probably because bot based factories are both easier to build and more ups friendly).

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

It pretty much boils down to personal preferednce, and which you find more fun. Don't stress over it.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

if you play multiplayer and look at your neighbour, you wan´t to be nice too. So everybody would choose robots because it´s more simple with them. You can´t show your nice beltsystem... because no fabrication-lanes need this anymore. I would love to see, that 50% of the fabrication-lines would need or run much better with belts. Bots in factorio is like playing an egoshooter with autoaimbot.

Return to “Gameplay Help”