Friday Facts #213 - The little things 2

Regular reports on Factorio development.
TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #213 - The little things 2

Post by TheRaph »

Nothing to complain in FF #213 ... keep up the good work :)

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

one little thing i didn't see mentioned in the thread yet.... recipes that need a) a very short time and b) an absurd amount of material, how are they handled?

For example satellite.... in the current version with 10x materials, well, the chest is not big enough. With the changes to 30sec it would still request 10x the amount, so chest still not big enough.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Ringkeeper wrote:one little thing i didn't see mentioned in the thread yet.... recipes that need a) a very short time and b) an absurd amount of material, how are they handled?
"We still have a prototype defined recipe paste multiplier for very expensive items, like Nuclear reactors and Satellites, but overall this new system will be much more flexible, and deal with most of the annoying cases."

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

in the example you background with Squares to show placement. i would like an option to show those when placing objects. or enable an option for the square frame to show up when placing in a local area. but not on top of everything, just on top of the ground.
also an option so other objects already place show their corners all the time when you are trying to place.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Since a large part of this and the previous update are about previews showing accurately, I have a question.

Q: Is there anything you can do about the placement preview of inserters, where in my mod the script modifies the pickup and drop locations of the hands immediately after placement?

Currently, I know of no way to do anything about the pickup and drop until after the entity has been placed, therefore the item in hand always shows the default positions. This is confusing if you're holding a standard inserter that will change to a longhand inserter when placed. (or worse, 90 degree inserter, diagonal inserter, shuffle inserter etc. basically anything but the default locations)

if it would be possible to detect that the player is holding an inserter in his hand and allow me to specify pickup and drop locations to the curser stack, rather than waiting for the item to be placed before I update, this would help.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

looks like 0.16 is being polished ready for release
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Can you make the 30s configurable?

Or how about something to add to the requested amounts. If I have 2 assembler using a common chest I can copy one of them to the chest but have to add the other manually. With an "add" feature I could copy both of them. Or copy one twice to get a 60s window.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Hm. What if requester chests just had a second "multiply requests" setting instead of the whole "assume 30 seconds" thing? The multiplier would apply to all requests of a single requester chest.
When pasting from assembler a single recipe worth of ingredients is set as the request and the multiplier is adjusted accordingly. Each slot would then show two numbers like:
multipliedslot.png
multipliedslot.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
The small number in brackets represents the value set for the slot and the lower number represents the final multiplied request size. In this case that would be a multiplier of 9. This would also make adjusting it afterwards easier and would also be useful in other situations.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Can you please also implement this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35510&p=219987#p219987

It would be great to be able to copy/paste between factories and inserters.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Since all these logistics improvements, can you please also implement the following:

merge logistics requester and logistics trash slots so you can request an exact amount of items (can be 0 for pure trash) and robots will bring you if you are under and take away if you are over.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35511

and

better management of robots in robotic network
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47144#p271718

I (as well as others) have made many really great suggestions for improvement to this game that we love so much. Please go through all these suggestions from the past and implement at least the ones that are popular or have had a lot of discussion on them as they are obviously really wanted by the community and they expose a weakness or missing feature in the game.

I know you did a purging of bugs a while back, but I hope you still have these issues archived and can get them back to look at them. I really don't want to start posting all my suggestions that I made in the past again in this forum as you should already have them. Please look through all these issues and implement these long requested features.

And.....

PLEASE IMPROVE BITERS!!!!! PLEASE ADD MORE TYPES, MORE DIFFICULTY SCALING, MORE INTERESTING MECHANICS. Biters are probably the most neglected part of this game, and I for one always play with them. I really enjoy the challenge they provide and makes many things in the game have a reason for existing (eg. all defensive and offensive structures, armor, weapons). Unfortunately the biters are not as interesting as they could be and really don't pose much of a threat at all really. The only time they are a threat is when starting a new game where all biter settings, frequency, evolution etc are on max and you are playing with difficulty mods. Even then this is only for a very short period near the beginning of the game.

Please improve the biters.

Also, just want to say again, that I love this game.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

factoriouzr wrote:Since all these logistics improvements, can you please also implement the following:

merge logistics requester and logistics trash slots so you can request an exact amount of items (can be 0 for pure trash) and robots will bring you if you are under and take away if you are over.
Please make that so it has a min and max value. Request if below min and trash if above max. I don't want a logistic bot to come every time I place or deconstruct one belt or inserter. Just so long as I don't run dry or overflow it's fine.

Which would also mean that when one belt is requested and the logistics bots brings 4 (because that is the carrying capacity) it doesn't take 3 back.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

mrvn wrote:
factoriouzr wrote:Since all these logistics improvements, can you please also implement the following:

Please make that so it has a min and max value. Request if below min and trash if above max. I don't want a logistic bot to come every time I place or deconstruct one belt or inserter. Just so long as I don't run dry or overflow it's fine.

Which would also mean that when one belt is requested and the logistics bots brings 4 (because that is the carrying capacity) it doesn't take 3 back.

Hi mrvn,

My suggestion already includes the min max value if you read the request:
+have a scroll bar to set the logistics request amount (as it is now) and also have another one to set the logistics trash amount (above which to trash the items, same as the logistics trash slots now). By default the trash slider will be set to the value of the request slider when first adding the item
+allow requested amount to be settable to 0 (i think this works now)
+allow trash functionality to be disableable by a checkbox next to the trash amount slider

There could also be a checkbox to lock or unlock the two sliders so they are bound together or not. For some items you may want an exact amount, for others you may want a buffer of min/max.

Also I think logistics bots that are bringing items to the player should bring exact amounts. If this isn't true now, it should be fixed to address your concern. Right now I get exact amounts when I request things. I also think robots should bring exact amounts for everything if they don't already do this.

I'm glad others still see value in my suggestion. I think this would be a great quality of life improvement without losing any existing functionality :).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think logistic bots try to grab a full hold full of stuff even if only one is requested.

CanisArtorus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CanisArtorus »

The new blueprint ghost appears to fail to show which trees and rocks will be marked for deconstruction when the ghost is placed (shift-clicked). Perhaps using a yellow shade (requires ground clearing) rather than the current red (is obstructed, won't be placed) while holding the blueprint would be informative.

As a player who actually likes leaving trees interspersed in the factory, I strongly desire the ability to tell if trees are going to be removed by the robotic construction of a ghost.

---

I agree with having a modifier key for 'paste-as-addition' to requester chests. The alternative of circuit connecting the assembler is just too many update packets.

I'm not well versed in pasting settings, but having filter inserters recieve the types of a chest's contents would help.

---
Seconding the suggestion:
Being able to shift-click or 'ghost' the addition / removal of modules by robot in existing machines would be glorious, if a dev finds the time.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

darkdaemon wrote:Would it be possible to either manually or (preferably) automatically mark tutorials as done?

For example, if the player has built a running train, the basic train tutorial can probably be marked as "done".
This, please this. Please have manual overrides. Nothing is more annoying as software that is trying to be too smart for your own good.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

A few things that have been bugging me of late.

The map's Electric wiring view should change color with the "satisfaction" rating. So if a system is healthy it can keep the blue color, but if it's dissatisfied it should change to yellow or even blink red if offline. It's very difficult to find a missing pole that cuts your base in half, especially on the bigger bases.

The pipette tool does not work if the item is not in inventory. This is okay for early play, but later on I want to use it to place ghosts and let the bots handle it. Instead I try to copy something and get an error half the time. I'm stuck whipping out a blueprint for a single item at a time. The pipette also doesn't work with items in the auto trash, but that's not a huge deal.

I can't force modules into things with blueprints. Similarly, I can't switch modules in things using a blueprint. The thing has to be torn down and used again.

I can't pull modules out with the deconstruction planner. That's the sort of thing that I think it should have.

Return to “News”