Accumulators not providing 100% output

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
feng
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Accumulators not providing 100% output

Post by feng »

Hey,

I noticed several power blackouts (base flickering) during critter invasions when my laser turrets start firing. I don't understand why that happens as I have built several accumulators to provide additional power backup.
The strange issue is that the base flickers while the accumulators are still nearly full (>80% load) and the power output bar of the accumulators is only at 50%.

Some power data of my base:

Max steam engine output: 20 MW
Average Power consumption: 14 MW

Number of Accumulators: 36
Max Power output: 10.8 MW

Number of simultaneously firing laser turrets: 5
Power consumption per laser turret: 3.1 MW
Total power consumption: 15.5 MW laser turret consumption + 14 MW base power consumption = 29.5 MW

So shouldn't that mean that 20MW from steam engines + 10.5 MW from accumulators should provide enough energy during the invasions as long as the accumulators are not empty?
Instead my base starts to flicker and the accumulators only provide ~6MW of power?!?!

Can somebody please explain?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Accumulators not providing 100% output

Post by Loewchen »

Post a screenshot of the Electric network info (the window you get when clicking on a power pole).

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

if I'm reading the turret.lua correctly, it looks like the power usage shown is based on the firing rate and power per shot (since I've seen that change in game with new techs), but the recharge on the internal buffer for the turret is 9.6MW, thus causing flickering as the spikes would be the lower of your power production or your normal consumption plus 48MW

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Also be aware that accumulators have a charge and discharge rate. Each accumulator can only charge/discharge at 300kw. "Several" accumulators won't be able to properly cope with the power demand spikes multiple laser turrets cause.

feng
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by feng »

Gnaah, I found my mistake. My steam engines do not provide enough power. They are only producing 16.2 MW max (18 engines) + 10.8 MW accumulators = 27 MW total.
And that is surely less than the 29.5 MW I need.

But that leads to my original question and the reason why I thought that something is wrong with the game:

Look at the screenshot.
It says that I am producing 27 MW of power but my accumulators only produce 3.2 MW. For that reason I thought that I should have enough power production. But that is not true. The accumulators already produce its max output of 10.8 MW. The display is not correct on the electric info window.

Your thoughts?
Attachments
power.png
power.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2787 times

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

If this is what I think it is, not all the information about accumulators is on the map-mouseover sidebar. Mouseover an accumulator in one of what could be called the setup screens, inventory or crafting or recipe, and you'll see the maximum output per accumulator is 300kW, so you'll need eight accumulators for each laser turret to supply the 2.4MW each they need when firing.

(edit: what Zavian said)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

What you see is the 5sec average of the accumulator power production, but this is misleading since they constantly switch on and off, when they provide power they do it to 100%.

feng
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by feng »

Thanks Loewchen. I forgot the 5s smoothing. That makes sense.

Return to “Gameplay Help”