i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post by Foreros »

Maybe because many people think that this game is absolutely not boring and then Help other find variations and solutions for find it at least a little less boring? I think this game is a great game and I am actually going to play it in almost every version of the game from 0.1 to 0.15.
There are so big differences that is almost impossible to consider them all the same game. :D
You find something boring? Take an older version, play it and then try not appreciate how far is the game until now. ;)
I find it less boring just thinking how far it will go the next year. :P

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hellatze wrote:This is old thread.

Idk why people want to necro it.
Old, not obsolete :).
It's been active since you first posted it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

You can stretch this game out to pretty perverse hours, if you start optimizing your bases.

Aim for a production that is spot on (no surplus, produce only what you need), efficiently spaced (means as little room needed as possible) AND looks pleasing to the eye.

W/o templates from others, I'd reckon that will keep your brain occupied for quite some time b/c it's actually quite hard to do. :D
If you play on Marathon, I'm not sure whether it's even possible.

Ofc that only works for neat-freaks with OCD.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

EpicFail1403
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EpicFail1403 »

MeduSalem wrote: Sandbox types of games only make really sense if there's stuff to do and explore once done with the "main story" (if there is one)... otherwise it doesn't make sense for it to be a sandbox.
Not really. There are lots of sandbox games that don't have a "main story" and they are just... great.
MeduSalem wrote: I think the biggest problem is that you build that huge factory and it becomes absolutely worthless once you are done with the main research tree.

The game definitely lacks ongoing resource/item consumers once done with the research tree... something that justifies building up other than just for the sake of getting through the research tree... because if it's just for that then the game might just end right there and you fly off to space and that's about it.
That's exactly the opposite of sandboxes. You don't need a huge factory to finish the main research tree. The game doesn't force you to build huge. The game doesn't promise any reward to encourage you to build huge. YOU decide what to do. Infinite Research is there just to ensure there IS a consumer where you can dump your product into. After rocket launch, you can continue the game if you want to. The return/reward is never there to keep you playing. There are plenty of players who played more than a hundred hours and never launched a single rocket. And players don't build a mega base only to finish the research tree / launch a Single rocket. People build huge because they want to build huge. Devs provide toys, not rules/goals.

In fact some people don't need others to define "stuff to do" for them. They decide what to do by themselves.
And some people tend to enjoy the process of gaming itself, and don't yarn for the reward/feedback triggered by certain player actions.

In PVE games, game content and challenge set by devs is ultimately, finite. There will always be a point where you beat every content or challenge or stuff to explore the game has to offer. When it comes to that you want more content to play with, it's time to mod.
You want more content? Mod. Define end game content yourself. Chose mods yourself. Decide when to stop and call it a GG yourself.

Nasabot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nasabot »

5thHorseman wrote:I know. Most AAA titles you'd only have played through 2-4 times by now. What s gyp.

Sry, but this is a bullshit argument.

Because other games suck, its ok if factorios potential is limited?

Factorio clearly is a 1000h game, if done correctly.

I have "only" 400hours and the main issue I see with factorio is, that it has low replayability and limited content. Things, that could actually be improved easily by being smart.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Ifalna wrote:You can stretch this game out to pretty perverse hours, if you start optimizing your bases.

Aim for a production that is spot on (no surplus, produce only what you need), efficiently spaced (means as little room needed as possible) AND looks pleasing to the eye.

W/o templates from others, I'd reckon that will keep your brain occupied for quite some time b/c it's actually quite hard to do. :D
If you play on Marathon, I'm not sure whether it's even possible.

Ofc that only works for neat-freaks with OCD.
nah, i just hope factorio dev team think of end game items, its actually easy to optimize base.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

I find this thread become boring after 100 hour. :lol:

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

EpicFail1403 wrote:
MeduSalem wrote: Sandbox types of games only make really sense if there's stuff to do and explore once done with the "main story" (if there is one)... otherwise it doesn't make sense for it to be a sandbox.
Not really. There are lots of sandbox games that don't have a "main story" and they are just... great.
MeduSalem wrote: I think the biggest problem is that you build that huge factory and it becomes absolutely worthless once you are done with the main research tree.

The game definitely lacks ongoing resource/item consumers once done with the research tree... something that justifies building up other than just for the sake of getting through the research tree... because if it's just for that then the game might just end right there and you fly off to space and that's about it.
That's exactly the opposite of sandboxes. You don't need a huge factory to finish the main research tree. The game doesn't force you to build huge. The game doesn't promise any reward to encourage you to build huge. YOU decide what to do. Infinite Research is there just to ensure there IS a consumer where you can dump your product into. After rocket launch, you can continue the game if you want to. The return/reward is never there to keep you playing. There are plenty of players who played more than a hundred hours and never launched a single rocket. And players don't build a mega base only to finish the research tree / launch a Single rocket. People build huge because they want to build huge. Devs provide toys, not rules/goals.

In fact some people don't need others to define "stuff to do" for them. They decide what to do by themselves.
And some people tend to enjoy the process of gaming itself, and don't yarn for the reward/feedback triggered by certain player actions.

In PVE games, game content and challenge set by devs is ultimately, finite. There will always be a point where you beat every content or challenge or stuff to explore the game has to offer. When it comes to that you want more content to play with, it's time to mod.
You want more content? Mod. Define end game content yourself. Chose mods yourself. Decide when to stop and call it a GG yourself.
I won't go through all the trouble to explain it in detail a second time why "puristic" sandbox games aren't really that much fun... but let's just say that the map/world is boring and generic procedural crap that doesn't make one want to explore/expand... and at the same time there are also no real resource/item consumers post-rocket launch. Also explained why infinite research is a waste of time. That's where I think that the vanilla game definitely could be improved on.

Also I already did set all kinds of different goals for myself etc... I'm already past that as well... and wish the game would challenge me again. Honestly after at least 2000 hours of Vanilla Factorio throughout the past 4-5 years I definitely came to an dead end with the game.

And I rarely/never play with mods while a game is still in development (only if the base game sucks so badly without mods that they are mandatory, like the ones with abysmal control or lack of information/statistics presented by the game... but that's not the case in Factorio since controls/information are really well done)... I hate how they break easily with updates and the mod writers eventually abandoning their mod, eventually rendering it incompatible and making savegames useless. So I eventually will play with mods, but only when Wube finally calls it a day. Then there is some sort of guarantee that mods won't break.

So until 0.16 I'm spending my time messing with Kerbal Space Program (or something else if I get frustrated/burned out from it as well)... because there's nothing much I could do now in Factorio.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

featherwinglove wrote:

I find this thread become boring after 100 hour. :lol:
Great!!! :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

I feel exactly the same. After 100 hours of gameplay, I'm bored and have to sleep. Luckily, after that I'm all up for another 100 hours. Still, I hope the devs will solve this someday.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

MeduSalem wrote:Also I already did set all kinds of different goals for myself etc... I'm already past that as well... and wish the game would challenge me again. Honestly after at least 2000 hours of Vanilla Factorio throughout the past 4-5 years I definitely came to an dead end with the game.
Dude 2000 hours! You've played around 1.5 hours each day for 5 years.
It's a video game, not real life. I seriously doubt that the DEVs ever intended for players to dump that kind of time into Factorio and still be entertained. Oo

Go grab a musical instrument if you want truly endless entertainment/work/challenge for your brain.
Though to be honest, even with a hobby like that I sometimes get bored and unmotivated to practice with my Alto flute.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

now i am thinking. what the purpose for having a big base, if they serve no purpose ?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hellatze wrote:now i am thinking. what the purpose for having a big base, if they serve no purpose ?
What's the purpose of playing anything (whatever the game) ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

Hellatze wrote:now i am thinking. what the purpose for having a big base, if they serve no purpose ?
Ultimately?
To see if you can handle mass production and keep it fed / stable.
You certainly don't need it if you play vanilla with x1 cost though.
If you go for 1 science / s in Marathon (x4 cost) you will hardly be able to get around megabases.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

really wish to have citizen in my base. so i can make my own empire.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Have you played the production challenge scenario? I find that to be a good break from normal gameplay. It changes the way I start out, a lot.

EpicFail1403
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EpicFail1403 »

MeduSalem wrote: I won't go through all the trouble to explain it in detail a second time why "puristic" sandbox games aren't really that much fun...
Well, IMO, explore/conqure is for open world games while sandbox games emphasize on creation. If sandbox is not fun for you, maybe you try other games, rather than turning THIS game into the type you like.
MeduSalem wrote: Also I already did set all kinds of different goals for myself etc... I'm already past that as well... and wish the game would challenge me again. Honestly after at least 2000 hours of Vanilla Factorio throughout the past 4-5 years I definitely came to an dead end with the game.
This is exactly what I stated. You had enough of the game in it's current state. It's OK. Decide for yourself when to stop playing. If it's more content you want, even if the devs provided more content, eventually you will go through all the new content and then you want more. Let me say this again:
EpicFail1403 wrote: In PVE games, game content and challenge set by devs is ultimately, finite. There will always be a point where you beat every content or challenge or stuff to explore the game has to offer.
It's impractical for the devs to continually provide infinite unique contents to every player's satisfaction. Since the making of "new content" doesn't strictly require a dev (it technically IS modding the base mod), given the current situation, functionality and stability and performance improvement of the game engine definitely take priority over game content.

I'm not saying that every player who find the game boring should go to mods. I'm saying modding is an option.
If I were in your shoes, to me the problem is not vanilla vs modded, but rather "not playing(not having fun) vs possibility of losing long term progression". And to me this game is about creation, not accumulating progression. So compared to "not having fun", "possibility of losing progression" is acceptable.

What's the purpose of building a large factory? What is the purpose of any game?
The answer is: HAVE FUN.

Then let's have fun.

greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by greaman »

Ifalna wrote: Dude 2000 hours! You've played around 1.5 hours each day for 5 years.
It's a video game, not real life. I seriously doubt that the DEVs ever intended for players to dump that kind of time into Factorio and still be entertained. Oo
That kind of calculation doesn't necessarily apply to factorio thought... I have way more hours in less time and spent only a fraction of it actively 'playing'

Quite often I leave the base alone for days, accumulating ressources, just switching mining sites every few days.. and then spent some hours with expaning the base, mainly via templates.

Since thew introduction of nuclear missiles expansion became a lot faster.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

God point. I remember the same from My MMOs, where you would rack up insane looking /played times (around 500 days in WoW over 10 years) but 50% of that was just standing around and using the game as an animated chatbox. :D

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Ifalna wrote:God point. I remember the same from My MMOs, where you would rack up insane looking /played times (around 500 days in WoW over 10 years) but 50% of that was just standing around and using the game as an animated chatbox. :D
most people play but for afk.

Return to “General discussion”