More Uses For Copper Early On

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GriffinOswald
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

More Uses For Copper Early On

Post by GriffinOswald »

I usually like to start new worlds after I feel that my current one is "outdated." Typically, I run into the problem of having an influx of copper plates over iron. Since most items use more iron plates than copper, you can quickly start a large build up of copper plates unless you purposely turn off production. Iron plates are used for steel, stone is used for bricks, and coal is to power your boilers, furnaces, cars, etc. (speaking in an early world perspective). Do you think there should be a product that a copper can make individually? Why or why not? What could it be?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: More Uses For Copper Early On

Post by Koub »

Current balance need for a "standard" base is clearly biased towards iron, at least, for as long as I have played. I hope the balance is somehow corrected some day. Or that with equal settings, map gen generates more iron than copper, to reflect the unbalance of the needs, even if there is no logical reason why the planet should just have just the right balance of ressources to suit the needs of a random engineer that crashes on it one day. It would just be a game design decision.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

Ammo being copper dependent would help a lot.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I feel the needs are just fine as in real life - you just don't need that much copper all around and the most things are just made of steel instead.
The only thing that needs correction is the rarity of resources - copper should be much more rare as you obviously need much less of it.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

At the start you need mostly iron but when you get to the blue cards it changes and copper consumption sky rockets.

I think that is fine. Simply don't build as many copper miners and furnaces at the start. It's not like you can't scale production to fit demand.

Nasabot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nasabot »

I wish the game has a more balanced consumption of all resources.

Marathon does it right for the iron/copper balance imo, because of the green circuits using proportionally more copper.

But also stone needs a much higher use.
1, concrete should be in line with the normal brick pathing. Currently 1x1 brick path costs 2 stone. 1x1 concrete path costs 1 stone. Make it so that 10 concrete cost 10 stone bricks.
2, maybe introduce Tier 2 wall, a concrete Wall.

These 2 points would still much too less stone consumption though.

Coal is also overabundant, however, the problem is the oil. Oil should be somewhat scarce and adding liquified coal should then trivialize oil consumption and normalize coal consumption.
With liquid coal in place, minimum oil productions should be 0.1 or 0.15 instead of 0.2.

Yes, yes, I know that you can change the map settings, but imo the all-normal-settings should be balanced properly.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”