[Idea] Make atomic bomb create a lake

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SuperSulc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Idea] Make atomic bomb create a lake

Post by SuperSulc »

TL;DR
When shooting the nuke make it create a small (3x3, 4x4?) pond.

Sometimes there is no water close to a preferred oil refinery or power plant site.
Let us create small lakes this way, to make those sites viable.
A nuke is expensive enough so it's not a viable way to create impassable water barrier against biters.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Idea] Make atomic bomb create a lake

Post by Tekky »

If a lake were created whenever I fired a nuke, I would be surrounded by water very quickly. Therefore, I do not like this suggestion.

Maybe if there was an option to detonate an underground nuke, your suggestion may be viable.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

There's mods...
There's a https://mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/WaterWell that will get water from land

or https://mods.factorio.com/mods/someone1337/Waterbomb if you want to make water...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The devs have explained that they did not wish to add a way to create water area, because it would be OP (natives would be unable to get through, thus you'd have an impenetrable defense.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Sparen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparen »

The moment I saw this post, I immediately imagined the amount of destruction a griefer on multiplayer could inflict on a base. Destroying a base AND preventing rebuilding part of it automatically via roboports?

*shudder*

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

I know this is a really old post, but I like the suggestion, and the reasons against it are now invalid, in fact I added this with a mod, and it worked just fine for a few reasons:
  • The crater can create ghost landfill above itself afterwards, so it gets auto repaired
  • The crater created has a land border, so the natives can still get around it (you can even make the water shallow, so it is traversable)
The effect of the water is also really cool, particularly if it slowly fills over time (say 5 minutes).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”