Change wording in deconstruction planner

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

teemu
Inserter
Inserter

Change wording in deconstruction planner

Post by teemu »

"whitelist" and "blacklist" don't seem like the proper words for the deconstruction planner. "Whitelist" implies something you want and "blacklist" something you don't want. Except that the tool itself is used to remove unwanted stuff so it becomes a double negative and becomes really confusing.

So instead of "Filters: Whitelist - Blacklist" I suggest: "Select: matching - excepting".

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Change wording in deconstruction planner

Post by 5thHorseman »

I see your point, though I never had the problem myself.

I don't think of a blacklist as a list of "bad things" but a list of "things that don't get through this filter." And a Whitelist is "things that do get through this filter" instead of a list of "good things." No double-negative when looked at that way.

Pirion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pirion »

I think excluding would work better than excepting.

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

Pirion wrote:I think excluding would work better than excepting.
Agreed. I never could figure out how to get those filters to work. Eventually just gave up.

teemu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by teemu »

The implication of blacklist of bad things and whitelist as a thing of good things is in the dictionary. Extending it to "things that pass or don't pass a filter" is a stretch and that gets confusing.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I think this is one of those times where a common term is adopted by an industry and gains a specific meaning that varies from common usage in a significant way.
In computers, blacklists don't care if something is good or bad. They only care if a thing gets through the filter or not.
In any case I agree that other terms would be less ambiguous. Mostly here I'm trying to shed some light on why the terms were chosen and show that they are not wrong, just suboptimal.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

The thing is that it's ambiguous as to the perspective you use.

Whitelist and blacklist could mean 'survives the deconstruction planner, doesn't survive the deconstruction planner' like you're describing a firewall.
Or it could mean 'deconstructed by the deconstruction planner, not deconstructed by the deconstruction planner' like you're describing a, I dunno, garbage pickup run.

I THINK it means the latter definition.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] moved to Outdated/Not implemented. See 70233
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”