Version 0.15.31

Information about releases and roadmap.
fechnert
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Version 0.15.31

Post by fechnert »

TinpotRobot wrote:My bases are huge - with very large generation areas. I am now forced to fend off aliens whilst re-patching everything to just get power back.
Watch MangledPorkGaming on Youtube (this video exactly) as he have to face the problems with energy- and science production in general after the upgrade to 0.15.x
Last edited by fechnert on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198066150999.']Image[/url]

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

TinpotRobot wrote:OK - I had a nice mod aim to launch my spaceship (not the rocket - but it was a post end game aim) that I can't now complete as it doesn't work with the new Factorio.

Sorry - unless I miss something, I have no choice under Steam to stop this from updating ... and to me, I fail to see why I am forced to "update" ...

My bases are huge - with very large generation areas. I am now forced to fend off aliens whilst re-patching everything to just get power back. Just because boiler size has been changed. Why not add a larger boiler and keep the smaller ones ? ye gods ... it shows lack of care for those who like tinkering with their much older bases (mine pre 0.13).

Plus now I have to abandon my starship aim ... I can't really expect a modder to keep their mod up to date, but I can expect to keep playing the game under an older version.

So - every time I play this game, I fear to see the auto patcher display as I know something will break - and sure, I can restart, but if I dare to add any mods then I am just going to have to expect the game to break when it patches again.

Come on - an option to retain under a sub folder the pre-patched game ? So I can play my 0.15 base or if I want to, decide to move up to 0.15.31 ? For me the gamer to have the choice like I have always had with everything else to patch when I want to patch ? This by far is the MOST infuriating facet of this game ...
Unfortunately as an early access game changes and updates are only natural. We release a major patch roughly every 6-12 months, and when it is ready we update all our players.

There is an option to roll down back to 0.14: https://gfycat.com/WelldocumentedCalcul ... oundbeetle

But in general we are not developing the game to tiptoe around all the players who would be inconvenienced by our changes. If you do not like free content updates to an early access game, I would suggest not to play the game while it is unfinished.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

TinpotRobot wrote:OK - I had a nice mod aim to launch my spaceship (not the rocket - but it was a post end game aim) that I can't now complete as it doesn't work with the new Factorio.

Sorry - unless I miss something, I have no choice under Steam to stop this from updating ... and to me, I fail to see why I am forced to "update" ...

My bases are huge - with very large generation areas. I am now forced to fend off aliens whilst re-patching everything to just get power back. Just because boiler size has been changed. Why not add a larger boiler and keep the smaller ones ? ye gods ... it shows lack of care for those who like tinkering with their much older bases (mine pre 0.13).

Plus now I have to abandon my starship aim ... I can't really expect a modder to keep their mod up to date, but I can expect to keep playing the game under an older version.

So - every time I play this game, I fear to see the auto patcher display as I know something will break - and sure, I can restart, but if I dare to add any mods then I am just going to have to expect the game to break when it patches again.

Come on - an option to retain under a sub folder the pre-patched game ? So I can play my 0.15 base or if I want to, decide to move up to 0.15.31 ? For me the gamer to have the choice like I have always had with everything else to patch when I want to patch ? This by far is the MOST infuriating facet of this game ...
You can play the older version if you want.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

TinpotRobot wrote: Sorry - unless I miss something, I have no choice under Steam to stop this from updating ... and to me, I fail to see why I am forced to "update" ...
Download package on the website, and make some stand alone installation.
That way you can have multiply version on your computer.

https://www.factorio.com/download

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

fechnert wrote:
rorror wrote:
abordoli wrote:This is more in regards to FFF#200 and talk of the Mod Portal overhaul...

Please add an indicator/filter for the mod publisher to indicate "MP Safe" (or not)....
Please also add an filter to hide al incompatible mods.
Now you have al those mods with no version number, that you can't use.

Also some mods require depenancy's, would be handy if there installed automaticly.

Yeah, like Bob's mods for example ... if i install the base mod, the overview should give me hints which mods are also required / recommended
Must agree.

Install bobores? nothing happens? oh look, it requires boblibrary.
Mod portal (ingame) should bring up some sort of message "Warning. Bobores requires boblibrary to function. Do you want to install this mod now?"
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

_aD wrote:It's a shame that the security vulnerability fixed in this version wasn't mentioned in the list of fixes, so that players were aware how important this update is. Couple this RCE with the still-unfixed case of a Factorio update in Windows running the game as administrator, and a rather nasty situation could have happened.
A CVE being patched should be one of the first things on a release notes list, especially if that version was also made the next major / stable release. It lets folks know that the Factorio devs are taking security vulnerabilities seriously.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

bobingabout wrote: Install bobores? nothing happens? oh look, it requires boblibrary.
Mod portal (ingame) should bring up some sort of message "Warning. Bobores requires boblibrary to function. Do you want to install this mod now?"
Dependencies is one of the base features that should be implemented in such system.
Take a look at Unix systems with different types of repositories.
Every item in repository has a list of dependencies not only listing items but a version requirement as well.

Here we go again with the mod system rework
The game should be able to store and switch between mod versions allowing player to form certain sets of mods to be used. This will greatly help in modded multiplayer as well.
This also adds a requirement to the mod portal to be able to provide different versions of mods.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
bobingabout wrote: Install bobores? nothing happens? oh look, it requires boblibrary.
Dependencies is one of the base features that should be implemented in such system.
Every item in repository has a list of dependencies not only listing items but a version requirement as well.

The game should be able to store and switch between mod versions allowing player to form certain sets of mods to be used. This will greatly help in modded multiplayer as well.
This also adds a requirement to the mod portal to be able to provide different versions of mods.
I know the Dev's know that the Mod portal is in dire shape and they see the pain and have plans to fix it. Hopefully we'll get to see a beta of a new one soon :) That said here are the biggies I see:

1. Performance. Don't know if this is a combination of over-demand or coding, but the mod portal both web and in game is exceptionally slow even on non-release days. Release days it's almost unusable.
2. Versioning Notes. Everyone does something different with regards to release notes. Sometimes it's on the mod portal (web version only) in the description area, sometimes in forum posts, sometimes in github, (and sometimes not at all which is frustrating, but not the portal's fault). Ideally the mod portal would have a specific area for release notes that would show both in the portal and in game so you can see what changes have been made when you go click "Update Mods" instead of having to click "Update mods", find which mods have changed, then go look up the changes for each mod in the mod portal+forum posts+wherever else they might be.
3. Versioning Dependency Resolution. As noted above, the system really needs to be able to say that "Mod XYZ has a hard dependency on Mod ABC" and prompt to install. Since those tags already exist I believe (looking at in the in game browser it lists dependencies) this is mostly just an implementation detail I think.
4. Versioning Profiles / MP - Ideally You should be able to auto sync the right mods when connecting to an MP server for mods. Saves should be the same way too, if you load a save that has a different mod pack, give a few options on what to do. A: Use your current mod pack and upgrade/migrate the save to it. B: Use the save's modpack, but move up to the current versions of the mods in question. C: Use the save's modpack as-is.
5. ModPack functionality. Give us the ability to put groups of mods together into a single pack. Bob's for example has 8 (9?) different mods. instead of having to go install all of them, just have the option to do "Bob's Mod's" or "Arumba's MP pack" or whatever.
6. Loading Speed - It'd be great if we could select/update mods before the game does it's big load on start. Often I start up the game and the first thing I do is go "Update Mods" which means I wait for the 25-30 seconds for the game to load, update the mods, then have to wait again for it to reload. That said, I understand why the game does it this way, so it might not be feasible. (the most recent FFF talking about load speed increases might make this less of an issue)
7. Images on the portal - This is a minor thing, but the image size+quality+viewing in the portal has always been meh. It'd be nice if it that whole area was revamped.

As always thanks to the Devs for all their hard work. Please don't see these items as "OMG MUST FIX NOW OR I QUIT". Doing this stuff at scale is harder than most folks realize and I personally appreciate all you do. Factorio was the best 20$ I've spent on any game in the last several years. (Honestly it's been worth 5x that to me, easily)

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

bobingabout wrote:
fechnert wrote:
rorror wrote:
abordoli wrote:This is more in regards to FFF#200 and talk of the Mod Portal overhaul...

Please add an indicator/filter for the mod publisher to indicate "MP Safe" (or not)....
Please also add an filter to hide al incompatible mods.
Now you have al those mods with no version number, that you can't use.

Also some mods require depenancy's, would be handy if there installed automaticly.

Yeah, like Bob's mods for example ... if i install the base mod, the overview should give me hints which mods are also required / recommended
Must agree.

Install bobores? nothing happens? oh look, it requires boblibrary.
That would be a very nice way to make modpacks.
Like that playthrough on youtube? install 1 little mod that only has dependencies to the mods required. Factorio also only has to download the mods I don't have yet.

Meddleman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meddleman »

The updates are great, keep it up!

True, the new boiiler size did throw me off a little, but after a little tinkering I can still build the same sequential boiler setup, with a little more complexity, in the same form factor.
It was a little work to quickly setup some impromptu bullet based defence until laser towers received power.

Whats really weird are the changes to the science packs. 7 science packs, and alien artifacts no longer a requirement, meaning peaceful or non-alien maps dont halt progress.

bacord
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Version 0.15.31 - Not a fan

Post by bacord »

I like some of the graphical changes to the .15 version but I am not a big fan of the added complexity. IMHO the game was already bordering on tedium and already took too long to complete. Extending the technology requirements and adding more modules has pushed this game beyond fun and exciting and into tedious, never-ending management. Just because you CAN add more complexity doesn't mean you SHOULD. The game play in this version has suffered. If I were to play it again I would have to revert to a previous version. Maybe the additional complexity could be an option in the game setup for those who prefer to play with the additional details?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.15.31 - Not a fan

Post by jodokus31 »

bacord wrote:I like some of the graphical changes to the .15 version but I am not a big fan of the added complexity. IMHO the game was already bordering on tedium and already took too long to complete. Extending the technology requirements and adding more modules has pushed this game beyond fun and exciting and into tedious, never-ending management. Just because you CAN add more complexity doesn't mean you SHOULD. The game play in this version has suffered. If I were to play it again I would have to revert to a previous version. Maybe the additional complexity could be an option in the game setup for those who prefer to play with the additional details?
For me, its exactly the opposite. I even use mods like bobs and angels with marathon to add complexity. But i think, its a matter of taste.
I can understand, that the flow of progress is slightly suffering, if complexity is added. And the challenge of managing throughput gets a bit less important. Because, while you are building new things, you dont get bored waiting for science to complete/modules to be created, etc.
And nuclear is optional at all.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

iamwyza wrote:
PacifyerGrey wrote:

I know the Dev's know that the Mod portal is in dire shape and they see the pain and have plans to fix it. Hopefully we'll get to see a beta of a new one soon :) That said here are the biggies I see:

1. Performance. Don't know if this is a combination of over-demand or coding, but the mod portal both web and in game is exceptionally slow even on non-release days. Release days it's almost unusable.
(OTher than it's on the todo list for 0.16... )

I find that going to a mod page directly (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/d3x0r/upgrade-planner2 for instance) loads really fast. THen clicking on the factorio logo at the top switches to main page quickly. If I just connect to mods.factorio.com it takes 14 seconds to load; it takes less than a second in the first case and like 1.5 seconds to get to main page.

The game mods button seems to try to go through the main page method... it's the slow way for sure.
iamwyza wrote: 2. Versioning Notes. Everyone does something different with regards to release notes. Sometimes it's on the mod portal (web version only) in the description area, sometimes in forum posts, sometimes in github, (and sometimes not at all which is frustrating, but not the portal's fault). Ideally the mod portal would have a specific area for release notes that would show both in the portal and in game so you can see what changes have been made when you go click "Update Mods" instead of having to click "Update mods", find which mods have changed, then go look up the changes for each mod in the mod portal+forum posts+wherever else they might be.
Having discussion page actually post to the author would be nice. Ability to add authors would also be nice. THere are several mods I've tried to get ahold of the author even through forum PM and have been unable to reach them; probably they don't even play the game, or got so frustrated they want nothing to do with it.

iamwyza wrote:
3. Versioning Dependency Resolution. As noted above, the system really needs to be able to say that "Mod XYZ has a hard dependency on Mod ABC" and prompt to install. Since those tags already exist I believe (looking at in the in game browser it lists dependencies) this is mostly just an implementation detail I think.
4. Versioning Profiles / MP - Ideally You should be able to auto sync the right mods when connecting to an MP server for mods. Saves should be the same way too, if you load a save that has a different mod pack, give a few options on what to do. A: Use your current mod pack and upgrade/migrate the save to it. B: Use the save's modpack, but move up to the current versions of the mods in question. C: Use the save's modpack as-is.
5. ModPack functionality. Give us the ability to put groups of mods together into a single pack. Bob's for example has 8 (9?) different mods. instead of having to go install all of them, just have the option to do "Bob's Mod's" or "Arumba's MP pack" or whatever.
Even just a quick-sync button would be great; auto disable mods not on a server; auto enable mods on a server, auto download mods used on a server.
Would think this could be added without replacing the whole portal.
iamwyza wrote:
6. Loading Speed - It'd be great if we could select/update mods before the game does it's big load on start. Often I start up the game and the first thing I do is go "Update Mods" which means I wait for the 25-30 seconds for the game to load, update the mods, then have to wait again for it to reload. That said, I understand why the game does it this way, so it might not be feasible. (the most recent FFF talking about load speed increases might make this less of an issue)
The first thing the game loads is mods, because mods can add graphics. And/or override existing graphics... so it has to start over to rebuild the texture atlases... and/or add sounds....

7. Images on the portal - This is a minor thing, but the image size+quality+viewing in the portal has always been meh. It'd be nice if it that whole area was revamped.

As always thanks to the Devs for all their hard work. Please don't see these items as "OMG MUST FIX NOW OR I QUIT". Doing this stuff at scale is harder than most folks realize and I personally appreciate all you do. Factorio was the best 20$ I've spent on any game in the last several years. (Honestly it's been worth 5x that to me, easily)[/quote]

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Posted Elsewhere (not everything applies):
"
The problem, now, with THIS thread is that, imo, it has become too large for the devs to go through it and take any pointers for suggestions for the new version.

I just hope, that like the game, they will be asking for feedback on the new mod portal so that we can get the mod portal that WE want.

For example, I've suggested that there be a field that "declares" that the mod is "MP-Safe", but there is a difference between the author "declaring" and "actual reality" (not to mention that things change as the game version changes, but typically when a mod is MP-Safe, the author tries to keep it that way).

This is why I feel mods should have ratings for both "Single Player" -AND- "Multiplayer" usage".
~B

abordoli

Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
"

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You all do realize that a topic announcing a release in the Releases fubforum is not the right place if you have a suggestion you want to discuss on with the community ? If you have a real suggestion, make a dedicated topic in the Suggestions subforum, and don't bury it in a bunck of replies in a release topic.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Noted...

Return to “Releases”