Pump recipe correction

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Fedorrro
Inserter
Inserter

Pump recipe correction

Post by Fedorrro »

I noticed that all the items that are crafted using the engine run on fuel (car, tank, locomotive), and all the items that are assembled with the electric engine work on electricity (robots).
But pump crafted with hard fuel engine need electricity. I think pump recipe need electric engine instead of just engine.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Pump recipe correction

Post by Patashu »

I think Pump requires only normal engines because of a catch 22:

You have oil but it's only far away from the base. So you'd like to pump it onto a fluid wagon and bring it over by train. But you haven't set up oil processing->lubricant->electric engines, so you can't pump it. So now you have to do something awful (like barrel it or pipe it or produce electric engines on-site).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Doesn't that mean we should have a burner pump, fuel pump and electric pump?

Fedorrro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fedorrro »

Yes, we can fuel pump by coal, and then add electric pump.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

mrvn wrote:Doesn't that mean we should have a burner pump, fuel pump and electric pump?
Sounds like something AAI Industries would do...

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

Fuel-based pumpjacks could consume some of their own oil production to power themselves.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

mrvn wrote:Doesn't that mean we should have a burner pump, fuel pump and electric pump?
No.
Factory Lobster wrote:Fuel-based pumpjacks could consume some of their own oil production to power themselves.
No. Also, this is not a thread about pump jacks.

No more joke suggestions please.
Patashu wrote:I think Pump requires only normal engines because of a catch 22:

You have oil but it's only far away from the base. So you'd like to pump it onto a fluid wagon and bring it over by train. But you haven't set up oil processing->lubricant->electric engines, so you can't pump it. So now you have to do something awful (like barrel it or pipe it or produce electric engines on-site).
Yes. The pump actually did use electric engine before, when piping (or barreling) was the only way to transport the oil and pumps were not necessary.
Source: https://wiki.factorio.com/Pump#History

/thread

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Qon wrote:
No.
Why not? Having a simpler pump before an electric pump would solve the catch 22.

Fedorrro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fedorrro »

mrvn wrote:Why not? Having a simpler pump before an electric pump would solve the catch 22.
Also, they may have a different pumping speed.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

mrvn wrote:
Qon wrote:
No.
Why not? Having a simpler pump before an electric pump would solve the catch 22.
Fedorrro wrote:
mrvn wrote:Why not? Having a simpler pump before an electric pump would solve the catch 22.
It's ridiculous. Adding an item to the game that is meant to be used once to fill your oil train? Which then only clutters your crafting menu and making it less usable permanently. New burner items in the mid game, seriously? They changed it to non-electric engine for a reason, to avoid this kind of silly temporary setups. Adding a "temporarily useful entity" is even worse than requiring a temporarily useful oil logistics design.

Please stop. No. You DO NOT introduce a catch 22 to motivate the implementation of useless trash items. This is horrifying :o

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

From what I remember, the small pump used to cost an electric engine to build.

This was changed, because needing an electric engine (it being quite far up the tree) made it hard to build, and, well, I never used one at all in my first playthrough because of the costs.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

bobingabout wrote:From what I remember, the small pump used to cost an electric engine to build.

This was changed, because needing an electric engine (it being quite far up the tree) made it hard to build, and, well, I never used one at all in my first playthrough because of the costs.
Qon wrote:
Patashu wrote:I think Pump requires only normal engines because of a catch 22:

Yes. The pump actually did use electric engine before, when piping (or barreling) was the only way to transport the oil and pumps were not necessary.
Source: https://wiki.factorio.com/Pump#History

/thread
It has been said before. But yes, correct.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Qon wrote:
mrvn wrote:
Qon wrote:
No.
Fedorrro wrote:
It's ridiculous. Adding an item to the game that is meant to be used once to fill your oil train? Which then only clutters your crafting menu and making it less usable permanently. New burner items in the mid game, seriously? They changed it to non-electric engine for a reason, to avoid this kind of silly temporary setups. Adding a "temporarily useful entity" is even worse than requiring a temporarily useful oil logistics design.

Please stop. No. You DO NOT introduce a catch 22 to motivate the implementation of useless trash items. This is horrifying :o
Why do you think you would only use it once? It doesn't even have to be a burner item.

Actually why does a fuel wagon need a pump at all? It should simply have a liquid connector item that balances the fluid between the wagon and the other side. It wouldn't even need to have a flow direction, simply balance. So you can fill a fluid wagon simply by the pumpjacks producing enough crude oil. Or the water pump producing enough water. Then later, when you want more speed, you add an electric pump.

Vladmirangel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vladmirangel »

but...trains need pumps for fluid wagons to work. its way harder to have to produce separate engines for pumps and trains. At least this way pumps and trains could be utilized at the same tech requirement.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

As an FIY the AAI mods have a burner electrical generator that needs no water and water pumps that need electricity. You need to build at least one burner generator to get the steam engines started and in case of a blackout.
It's made well though and the burner generator only runs when the steam engines don't supply enough power. So one can just leave it as a backup power without wasting fuel on it (it's inefficient).

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Wind-powered pumps. 3x3 size, cost a bunch of gears, iron, and bricks, and have an old-timey windmill on the top.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

AileTheAlien wrote:Wind-powered pumps. 3x3 size, cost a bunch of gears, iron, and bricks, and have an old-timey windmill on the top.
I'm not sure if it comes from AAI, Angels or Bobs mods but I also have a burner water pump (named differently but that's basically what it is). It's too slow to run lots of steam engines from it but it is enough to get things started too. Cheaper than the burner power generator too.

Return to “Balancing”