Friday Facts #197 - Chugging along

Regular reports on Factorio development.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #197 - Chugging along

Post by DerivePi »

And I was just looking for a sample outline of class inheritance for a project (how the "is_a" rule is applied in a real production). Are different template implementations (ex. class dialog<>) considered inheritance though?

TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

So when is recursive blueprints getting added to the base game.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

This ... recursive fab ... is ... INSANE !!!!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I wholeheartedly hope the recursive blueprints bill be added into vanilla, just to be able to do such automation crasiness without mods :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

For 0.16 Twinsen has assigned himself a lot of these 'Fix the GUI' tasks, so no doubt there will be some interesting FFF material from him coming soon.
Yessssssssssssssssss

mOoEyThEcOw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mOoEyThEcOw »

DerivePi wrote:And I was just looking for a sample outline of class inheritance for a project (how the "is_a" rule is applied in a real production). Are different template implementations (ex. class dialog<>) considered inheritance though?
Generally no, if you look at the doxygen picture they posted the templates have a blue dotted line which means "variation_of" and the yellow line which means "is_a" points to the base class of the template (eg "Foo<T>"), and the specialized template (ed "Foo<Bar>"). Templates are tricky, due to the raw power of C++ templates (they are turing complete at compile time... sort of like very complex esoteric lisp macros basically (lisp macros are written in lisp, C++ templates are their own language)) a specialized template can't be considered "is_a" to any shared thing (even the base class technically) because the specialized template might be a wildly different class (including having different base classes). It's best to think of a specialized template as a completely separate class from any other specialized template of the same template.

Some people do do things like `template <typename T> class Foo<T> : Foo<void> {...};` and then specialize `Foo<void>` (or a similar variation) to get the "is_a" behavior from specialized templates. Though it's really better to just use a `FooBase` class rather than mucking around with a `Foo<void>` class which is just asking for trouble.

doc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by doc »

Super chuffed to see the mod I started mentioned for the 2nd time in a community spotlight! Big props to justarandomgeek for keeping it going and DaveMcW for his ridiculous creation!

And great news that GUI will be getting some love soon, hopefully this will have a lot of benefits for modders too.

YokoZar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by YokoZar »

I really appreciate the blog post, stabilizing releases is always some of the most exciting work for me in Software.

Hopefully this savegame-destroying UI issue hasn't slipped past all of your radars before someone on the dev side made an actual decision about it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47857 (a moderator kept it out of the bug forum)

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

there will be an additional 3-4 bodies (live) in the office
Thanks for specifying they're live. I was worried you guys were intending to convert to a mortuary.

webkilla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by webkilla »

.15 stable release soon?

YES!

ibeatbabybiters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ibeatbabybiters »

You say that GUI inheritance tree is complex? I think you have never seen enterprise "quality" code before :D
Usually I don't beat babies, but when I do I beat baby biters.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I looked at the diagram, from the top. Said, oh, around 30 classes. Glanced to the root, saw a line leading away.....

Scrolled down.

Started screaming....

Dear god, that's a lot of classes.

And I thought my amateur Unity project was complex. Heh.

I doubt there is less than 200 classes there. Geeze.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “News”