0.15 - solar panels & accumulators

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
jaypee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

0.15 - solar panels & accumulators

Post by jaypee »

So with the increase in electric-range of the accumulators, it's possible to get a good 20:24 accumulator:panel ratio with one substation. The problem is now to find a way to arrange everything.

I like arrangements that are:
- square on the edges
- compact
- tesselatable (tesselible?)

Here's my first crack at this:

thoughts? it's *sorta* tesselable but maybe not at nice clean 90-degree angles? could i learn to live with the wasted space at the corners?

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.15 - solar panels & accumulators

Post by Frightning »

jaypee wrote:So with the increase in electric-range of the accumulators, it's possible to get a good 20:24 accumulator:panel ratio with one substation. The problem is now to find a way to arrange everything.

I like arrangements that are:
- square on the edges
- compact
- tesselatable (tesselible?)

Here's my first crack at this:

thoughts? it's *sorta* tesselable but maybe not at nice clean 90-degree angles? could i learn to live with the wasted space at the corners?
This is a problem I am going to have to deal with as well. I had a nice 100% space usage setup for old Substation supply area (14x14), where I would have 16-12 panel-accumulator ratio, and would then just put down an occasional 48 accumulator Substation (so that I would keep the 25x21 ratio; I would also leave the last Substation group or 2 unfinished between dropping fresh sets of panels and accumulators and finish it to start off the next set). Lead to a nice, perfect tileable grid. With the new size, I will need to rethink my layout, but as long as you lean panel heavy, the same tactic of occasionally dropping a pure accumulator block should work nicely.

jaypee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jaypee »

Frightning wrote:
This is a problem I am going to have to deal with as well. I had a nice 100% space usage setup for old Substation supply area (14x14), where I would have 16-12 panel-accumulator ratio, and would then just put down an occasional 48 accumulator Substation (so that I would keep the 25x21 ratio; I would also leave the last Substation group or 2 unfinished between dropping fresh sets of panels and accumulators and finish it to start off the next set). Lead to a nice, perfect tileable grid. With the new size, I will need to rethink my layout, but as long as you lean panel heavy, the same tactic of occasionally dropping a pure accumulator block should work nicely.
yeah that's p much what i used to do too...

i think this new setup of mine *is* tessel-ready but at a slight diagonal? Will post a screenshot if/when I can make it work

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Wow, never tried to figure out one of these templates for myself before. It's tougher than I thought it would be to get the setup be symmetrical and have the correct ratio...
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Mr. Tact wrote:Wow, never tried to figure out one of these templates for myself before. It's tougher than I thought it would be to get the setup be symmetrical and have the correct ratio...
The trick I used was to just be panel heavy and then plop down a Substation of pure Accumulators every so often to keep the counts at the 0.84 ratio.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Well... I was trying to do a 4x4 substation setup... so a bit more complicated...

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

i just make grids of each separate. add more as needed. ratios? pfft
i had a system with the old sub stations that was a 2x2 grid where you had to rotate to connect the 4 substation corners.
medium power poles between the 2x2 'banks' which you could walk though. was proud when i figured that out.

now we have 6x6 panels,and 9x9 accumulators that fit perfectly inside the sub stations. they made it too easy now. :P

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

impetus maximus wrote:now we have 6x6 panels,and 9x9 accumulators that fit perfectly inside the sub stations. they made it too easy now. :P
Err, 6x6 panels and 9x9 accumulators? I take it that's from a mod?

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Mr. Tact wrote:
impetus maximus wrote:now we have 6x6 panels,and 9x9 accumulators that fit perfectly inside the sub stations. they made it too easy now. :P
a grid of 6 solar panels wide fit inside the sub stations, 9 accumulators wide. ;)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

impetus maximus wrote:
Mr. Tact wrote:
a grid of 6 solar panels wide fit inside the sub stations, 9 accumulators wide. ;)
Hmm, so I think a good pair of layouts would be:

6x6 of panels with middle 2x2 instead a 3x3 of accumulators with middle instead the Substation. Then, to offset the excess panels, have some pure 9x9s of Accumulators (with center replaced by Substation).

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

That hole tesselable-thing, do you mean "tileable"?

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

mergele wrote:That hole tesselable-thing, do you mean "tileable"?
The proper mathematical term is actually tessellation (and as an adjective, tessellatable). (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellation)

jaypee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jaypee »

Frightning wrote:
mergele wrote:That hole tesselable-thing, do you mean "tileable"?
The proper mathematical term is actually tessellation (and as an adjective, tessellatable). (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellation)

ye...yeah. yeah that's the word i was looking for.

Gecko
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Gecko »

After not so long of a fiddling, IMHO this is a fair solution. Without the robo-port integration but two robo-ports in your power armor (one is not enough as shown), you can comfortably walk next to the blueprint and all tiles will be reached.

Replace one accumulator near the edge with a big pole and you can leave walking space for better building of the adjacent ones.

Cheers
SolarFarmFac.png
SolarFarmFac.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 24933 times

Gecko
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Gecko »

As I got annoyed by the fact that I had to place all the solar panels on my own, I tried to design a solar farm with robo-port integration.

Here is what I came up with. For sure not optimal space use and also not hitting the ratio (0.86 instead of 0.84) but quite good for a start. Please go ahead and improve as you see fit!

The idea is that you can replace any 2x2 solar panel square with a 3x3 accumulator square.
So from a mathematical point of view the first integer you can get from this division considering the 0.84 ratio is
75 solar to 63 accumulator which means 25x a 2x2 solar square plus 7x a 3x3 accumulator square. Now you can puzzle this together around a robo port (Wouldn't work, I tried it :) ) .

Well, eventually you get a kind of solution where you have to fit the power poles, too.

Cheers
Factorio Exchange string
SolarFarmRobo.PNG
SolarFarmRobo.PNG (963 KiB) Viewed 24360 times

paouk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by paouk »

jaypee wrote:it's possible to get a good 20:24 accumulator:panel ratio
Exactly.

I personally prefer as smaller as possible configurations.Blueprinting them where and when i need.
Substation aside (these are more expensive in terms of resources i'm going with these in my current base.

EDIT:

This is my 20:24 configuration

and its blueprint:

Code: Select all

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
Last edited by paouk on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rome, Italy, Europe, Planet Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way, Known Universe
(forgive me for eventually bad english, i'm trying my best)

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Am I the only one who simply installs solar panels and accumulators separately in large amounts, without much regard to proportions? :-)

Because, you know, there's no such thing as too much power. And considering laser turrets, there's no such thing as too much stored power, either.

paouk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by paouk »

Lav wrote:Am I the only one who simply installs solar panels and accumulators separately in large amounts, without much regard to proportions? :-)

Because, you know, there's no such thing as too much power. And considering laser turrets, there's no such thing as too much stored power, either.
I don't think you're the only one. I've seen different pictures representig that building layout you're saying, Actually some of the devs seems to use this
(from link posted here https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-187)

Sometimes i do it too, especially on first setups when i prioritize the accumulators to backup power for laser turrets peaks. It has also a good decorative posibility, if it would make sense when you're ther, mass polluthig an hosting planet :?

Anyway, the only problem with the "separate style" layout, imo, is that you would build up them few by few. In separate places, finishing build there disorganized and sparse and having less control on balance/ratio.

Obviusly you can always place down XGw bonused reactors somewhere abbandoning these thoughts to have new ones.
Rome, Italy, Europe, Planet Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way, Known Universe
(forgive me for eventually bad english, i'm trying my best)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Lav wrote:Am I the only one who simply installs solar panels and accumulators separately in large amounts, without much regard to proportions? :-)

you are not alone. ;)

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I also do. There are genuine merits to using the proper ratio but it's not hard to bring the ratio into vaguely proper proportions, like if you have 1000 solar panels you should have 840 accus. I always feel more solar panels is better than more accumulators because failing to fully recharge during the day sucks.

Return to “Gameplay Help”