Friday Facts #159 - Research revolution

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #159 - Research revolution

Post by Tym »

Agree. I run all my trains on wood, and stockpile wood by each train stop. Just takes a couple long inserters and chests.

I hate to waste -any- resource.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

We also sort the technologies by the highest science pack needed
Ooooh, this is going to make such a nice difference. About 90% of my clicking on research projects is just to see which science pack tier it is! This will cut way down on this clicking, and let me see all of them at once, instead of just one at a time.

I will be sad to see my research design go away, but it won't be long before I make another.

Just, please devs be a little more flexible about the science pack recipes in the near future? Don't hesitate to tweak them further if you think the game will benefit. The sooner you settle on the best recipes the better. No one will mind the recipes changing when they also just recently changed.

Ober3550
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ober3550 »

Could something be done about the overall ratio between copper and iron? With the projected science the discrepancy between iron ore cost versus copper cost means that setting up copper outposts are a side note to the ridiculous quantity of iron required. Something like changing the electric furnace and pumpjack from 15 steel each to 10 and then increasing the number of speed modules from 1 to 2 and then the processing units to 4 per would change the copper costs to a degree where its not irrelevant.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Who tells that all the recipes will remain the same ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Later recipes require way more copper
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Syrchalis »

Ober3550 wrote:Could something be done about the overall ratio between copper and iron? With the projected science the discrepancy between iron ore cost versus copper cost means that setting up copper outposts are a side note to the ridiculous quantity of iron required. Something like changing the electric furnace and pumpjack from 15 steel each to 10 and then increasing the number of speed modules from 1 to 2 and then the processing units to 4 per would change the copper costs to a degree where its not irrelevant.
It also comes largely from blue science requiring assembly machines two which require 50 iron. And you don't even get two sciences out of one craft.

As long as we don't get any new info we don't just assume the recipes will get changed.

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

While I like the expansion to research, I have issues... :D

The infinite research thing... I like to finish things. The 20 odd robot follower count is tedious as is, please expand what you mean by infinite research. Knowledge is always ongoing, but in a game, people might not like never getting there.

Now - the things you are using to make science packs with...

For red to green (early) science the study could be of the natural environment. The ores copper, iron, coal and stone, alien plant, soil and water samples. Game mechanics allow for most of this already the soil sample I imagine as a kind of reverse landfill occurrence, a type of (soil) miner gets to a certain depth it's water - which you may fill back in with stone if desired. These lab inputs make so much more sense than current red/green inputs. Trees just get hated on, make em more useful, and easier to harvest, how bout a chainsaw?

As things progress into blue-science and beyond, things like glassware, centrifuges, computers and chemicals might be more useful to a scientist than assembling machines et al. :shock:

The military makes sense. We study current tech's use and performance and improve on it where we can - so the weapons for military tech gets my approval :lol:

And the 3 processing unit thing - does this come with a 1000 or more science packs price tag for researches? While marathons are all good and well if getting achievements; imo, typical game play shouldn't be an endurance event.

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

The Infinitiv research is for people with mega bases.
And for all other too. I never build a mega base but i run really fast out of new research.

Auf lot people want more. They want to build a big base. Most of the time after you launch your rocket you end the game because you have research done and there is nothing to do.

Now you can play and play and play (if you want) ((i want))^^ because you can expand more and more for minerals.

If you don't want. End the game After rocket launch.^^

Stefanutz9811
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stefanutz9811 »

You simplified Since pack 3 but make more expensive the Alien Since pack and now is called Production Since pack and you added 2 more since packs which the last is pretty expensive too.Good job i love it.

Return to “News”