Friday Facts #27 The roadmap

Regular reports on Factorio development.
dusho
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #27 The roadmap

Post by dusho »

I'm actually not sure about 'sharp' things, e.g. circuit is green with sharp white lines.. and as I often zoom in and out, it looks horrible when moving on belts and flickers like crazy (white lines appearing and disappearing). Ideally would be to have all pictures with it's mipmaps (.dds), but I guess that would be another hit for VRAM.

Malkasphia
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Malkasphia »

Wow, belts look amazing now..and the 2048 game is awesome hahah, enjoyed playing that.

As far as getting on steam goes....i believe it would be to your greatest benefit to wait until Multiplayer is finished before going to steam. The 10-20 people who want to get into factorio that I know are all waiting for multiplayer. I believe this is what most people want from your great game.

Keep the good shit coming, I am always impressed with this game..it has been a long time since I have played a game as much as I have played yours.

libik
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by libik »

The game itself is good enough to be released at steam now.

But if something, it would be the multiplayer, which makes this game "viral".

Campaign would be nice also :).

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

libik wrote:The game itself is good enough to be released at steam now.

I think there are some small graphicial things before release on steam, like the GUI. or the background image at the startscreen. it looks like coding people make it. from the gameplay it is releaseable since the oil industry :)

Albert
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Albert »

Tardan wrote:
libik wrote:The game itself is good enough to be released at steam now.

I think there are some small graphicial things before release on steam, like the GUI. or the background image at the startscreen. it looks like coding people make it. from the gameplay it is releaseable since the oil industry :)
I agree with the image startscreen or the main-menu background image, but,. what is wrong with the actual GUI?,
Are you expecting something more barroque? like for instance this? - > http://media.indiedb.com/cache/images/g ... -31-09.jpg

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Heh, I was about to suggest Fallout-esque HUD.

Surely Albert wouldn't complain if you let him model some HUD elements.

Meanwhile in Barcelona...

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

glex wrote:
I agree with the image startscreen or the main-menu background image, but,. what is wrong with the actual GUI?,
Are you expecting something more barroque? like for instance this? - > http://media.indiedb.com/cache/images/g ... -31-09.jpg
in my opinon the actual gui don't have a style. it is only plain grey, like every java gui in tutorials. use in the gui something more, like:
- color gradients
- or more than one color
- or style effects like 3d / round edges

this is a possible direction: http://www.myth-games.com/images/perpet ... m_0020.png
or as in your image, but please a little bit cleaner.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

The GUI needs to be animated a little bit... Get rid of the "Windows"-style, connect the GUI more with the entities themselfes.
Eg rightclick on an assembler, the assembler interface kind of pops out of the machine, clearly visible connected to the machine.

The HUD the player sees (eg his weapons, inventory) should look just like some ON-Screen Display the charakter would have on his helmet, "See through his eyes" I hope you understand what I mean.

The player needs to get more connected into the world by intelligent GUI design (yeah somehow hollow phrase ^^)

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

BurnHard wrote:The GUI needs to be animated a little bit... Get rid of the "Windows"-style, connect the GUI more with the entities themselfes.
Eg rightclick on an assembler, the assembler interface kind of pops out of the machine, clearly visible connected to the machine.

The HUD the player sees (eg his weapons, inventory) should look just like some ON-Screen Display the charakter would have on his helmet, "See through his eyes" I hope you understand what I mean.

The player needs to get more connected into the world by intelligent GUI design (yeah somehow hollow phrase ^^)
also a interesting direction, a other than my, but good.

you mean something like this:
http://static.neuerdings.com/1363193866/sight-13.jpg
http://www.monochrom.at/english/picture ... 092605.jpg
link virtual information in the "real" world of factorio?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

BurnHard wrote:The GUI needs to be animated a little bit... Get rid of the "Windows"-style, connect the GUI more with the entities themselfes.

This works great in FPS games like Titanfall or Crysis.

Third-person games with retro graphics, not so much.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Well yeah, the point of view stays third person of course, but the interface has to be somehow one part of the world. The first picture of yours is very close to what i mean, with these connecting lines between entity and information window.

Thats one quick screenshot I found, the style of the game is completely something other than factorio, I just like the way the world graphics and the graphics of the user interface harmonise.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/ ... 6a6dyj.jpg

The interface and the world just need to get the same "look and feel"

Albert
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Albert »

Tardan wrote:

also a interesting direction, a other than my, but good.

you mean something like this:
http://static.neuerdings.com/1363193866/sight-13.jpg
http://www.monochrom.at/english/picture ... 092605.jpg
link virtual information in the "real" world of factorio?

I see interesting ideas in the links you post, this kind of organic display is very nice. But not sure if it would work fine with Factorio. We need to make some tests (in the future, future, future...)
Anyway a new GUI is something that all we have in mind, but by now, I guess, we will keep the actual one for quite longer.
I must say that i'd like to improve the GUI, but I love the actual one very much. This neutral elegant style fits well by now, or at least is not annoying. Anyone remember the very first GUI? white and blue? (hope not :roll: ), we're now in an intermediate stage, So, yes, more personality would be great, I agree. Just give more time to time ..

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The interface doesn't have much look and feel yet. Why should it? Does it bring something new into gameplay?

I think it's like everything, they will find their style, if it is needed...

Not yet!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “News”