Friday Facts #27 The roadmap

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #27 The roadmap

Post by kovarex »

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #17 The roadmap

Post by Calico »

arghhhh....i need my Friday Night Factorio Info Fix. :D

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

kovarex wrote:The new friday facts: Comming soon
Ok, but i believe its #27 instead of #17
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

kovarex wrote:The new friday facts: Comming soon
that's ok, I can get it early by simply clicking an old link and changing the last digit :)

also this:
Dysoch wrote:Ok, but i believe its #27 instead of #17
edit: Ok, Factorio themed 2048 (1876 on first try) and new belts are nice! Oh, and the bugfixes and roadmap and approaching 2^13 copies are all ok too, i guess ;)
As for exposure button...I've no advice to give you, the demo sold me a long time ago :)
edit2: hm, just hitting the arrows in a counter-clockwise direction gave me a score of 3108...Perhaps I should try harder lol

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

on the factorio 2048 game, i got a score of 2616 :P
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

Before going "public", please change the pickaxe to some kind of omnitool. It's weird and a bit dumb to deconstruct machines and cut trees with a pickaxe. The only use of it as a pickaxe is at the very begining when you need to mine your first ores but that's it

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #27 The roadmap

Post by kovarex »

I have 35544 :)

dusho
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dusho »

after releasing game on steam you should be ready for influx of bug reports no matter how stable you think factorio is now.. just because amount of people and all the PC configuration and other software they have
multiplayer is pretty huge feature, and will introduce lots of frustrating bugs, so already that can discourage people, if instead of fixing bugs, you will be busy with multiplayer
recently I found my self not wanting to replay the factorio just because of lacking combat, making factory and exploring is amazing, but need of alien artifacts to progress with turret creeping is not so much fun anymore.. so I think improving the combat for single player would be better than jumping into multiplayer - but that's just my opinion
still, I like the progress of the game and I'm looking forward for new things

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think it is this discussion he meant:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =125195010
It is funny to see, that we wanted to make the new trailer and steam campaign after 0.7 and now we have almost 0.9 stable and the trailer is still not done :) After 0.7 we realized, that our terrain graphics was horrible, so we had 0.8 with whole new graphics (and logic) for terrain (with content and automated repair, roboports etc.) Then we realized, that the terrain is better but still not looking well, so we added another polishing in 0.9. 12 types of trees instead of 2, lot of small decoratives, several machines from the past redone, while adding features at the same time, like blueprints and oil industry + lot of small things. We just don't want to go for the steam with something that is rough. If there is a thing we can teach from the history successful games, than it is the fact that patience to get things done really properly and to polish is the key to success.
But to answer the question, we really plan to have the trailer out reasonably soon. It is working, ready to be recorded, custom music is done, we just need to make few final tweaks and do it.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

dusho wrote:after releasing game on steam you should be ready for influx of bug reports no matter how stable you think factorio is now.. just because amount of people and all the PC configuration and other software they have
multiplayer is pretty huge feature, and will introduce lots of frustrating bugs, so already that can discourage people, if instead of fixing bugs, you will be busy with multiplayer
recently I found my self not wanting to replay the factorio just because of lacking combat, making factory and exploring is amazing, but need of alien artifacts to progress with turret creeping is not so much fun anymore.. so I think improving the combat for single player would be better than jumping into multiplayer - but that's just my opinion
still, I like the progress of the game and I'm looking forward for new things
On the other hand, they'll also get so much dosh they'll be able to afford more people to fix the bugs for them.

And multiplayer is always refreshing, there are so many things that can be done online. You only realize how much there is to a game when you have other people playing it with you.

SnAkeBiTe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SnAkeBiTe »

It was so much better before knowing the existence of 2048... i rage quit at this point: http://imgur.com/LbiqTyr

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

kovarex wrote:I have 35544 :)
I think you accidentally pressed 5 or 4 key twice.

Or both :lol:

Soaryn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Soaryn »

I'm really wanting to try this out again on stream, but I'm not sure if you'd prefer me to wait just a little longer for that. Though, without a campaign Im not sure what all I should do in terms of Challenges for myself that would be interesting to stream (Research isnt exactly entertaining to watch after the first 4) Any recommendations? :D

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Soaryn wrote:terms of Challenges for myself
Hello Soaryn! there some challenge stuff in here, somewhere...
Most of it revolves around not trying to reduce pollution or small/spread-out resources, and of course there is the obvious of trying to make your factories as small and efficient as possible and/or adding and exploring the larger mods (F-mod and Dytech mainly add a large amount of new stuff, DyTech is certainly a leap of difficulty over the basic game).
Hm...perhaps someone who's more into the challenges than I am could create a list on the wiki to link people to...

edit: Custom map/Scenario creation is also (I think) easier now, there are a couple here, so maybe some more people could give that a try. I can imagine that several people would find it cool to have you play a map of theirs on a stream...

Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemoder »

The only reason not to give a game more exposure is if the game is in a state that is not yet fun to play.
Factorio is fun to play right now.
It might not be what people expect if they are hoping for a completed game with a polished campaign but for an alpha game I say it's more than ready.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

From what I understood the greenlight page is ready, trailer still needs work (specifically work done to the game so the trailer looks better, i.e. proper item visualization). The problem with the game isn't that it's not fun to play, but it still has some dev graphics that could deter people, not to mention a lack of nearly any sound effects.

So when that's done, they announce the game with a bang. Although I'd say a bit of individual premature promoting wouldn't hurt.

Soaryn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Soaryn »

Drury wrote:Although I'd say a bit of individual premature promoting wouldn't hurt.
Yeah this is to 1.5 k concurrent viewers on Twitch, so I'm not sure if that would be ideal for their trailer. I'll try it out again on stream sometime this week.

YukoValis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by YukoValis »

II mean this in the nicest way possible, and please forgive me for my opinion, but.. the new belts kinda look... ugly. I mean don't get me wrong, they look much more machine like now then before.. but.. kinda ugly. >.>

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

YukoValis wrote:II mean this in the nicest way possible, and please forgive me for my opinion, but.. the new belts kinda look... ugly. I mean don't get me wrong, they look much more machine like now then before.. but.. kinda ugly. >.>
I agree, but it has potential. They need to be sharpened, with more detail. Then they will look nice and fit into factorio
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

Return to “News”