[Done!] Wood and Clay fluid pipes

The place to share your custom game graphics.
aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Done!] Wood and Clay fluid pipes

Post by aubergine18 »

I'm making a pre-industrial mod, essentially an agricultural era prior to things like steam engine and metal pipes. In this era, I still have some need for water-based stuff, which means I need pipes. The materials player will have are wood (in particular, hollow tree trunks) and clay.

Games' existing pipes can be found in __base__/graphics/entity/ and the 'pipe', 'pipe-covers' and 'pipe-to-ground' folders within it.

For the wooden pipe I don't need pipe-to-ground, but the clay pipes would feasibly facilitate underground pipes.

Examples of hollow tree trunks which would be used as pipes: example 1 | example 2

I Imagine the junctions will be somewhat tricky, I'm open to suggestions on how they could work (maybe vines or rope wrapped around the trunks to hold them together)?

EDIT: An alternative approach to wood pipes, using refined wood planks. example. While probably much simpler, I'd still like the hollow tree trunk version more (feels more Factorian) but if not too much trouble a refined wood plank version of wood pipes as an upgrade would also be nice.

Examples of clay pipes: example 1 | example 2

As hi-res textures are on the roadmap for Factorio 0.15, I'd ideally need the graphics at double the size of the current 0.14 vanilla metal pipes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by aubergine18 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] Wood and Clay fluid pipes

Post by aubergine18 »

pretty please? :)
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

you don't know what hi-res in next version of factorio means ... simple double size or new image-size.
pictures are possible yes, but there is a reason why pipes not often changed beside in color.
some factorio-parts are simply modding unfriendly ;)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Pipes...... Suck. By the end of the week I think I will be a pipe_picture professional though.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

Nexela wrote:Pipes...... Suck. By the end of the week I think I will be a pipe_picture professional though.
yes ...

but because request and share some pain ... here nearly all wood-pictures in single files for download ... and have fun include these in factorio ... if you are done show me a picture to maybe fix some issues.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

if you don't want to use these, it's free for others to use.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Ah, these are awesome :D I need a few hours sleep and then will have a go at getting them set up in the mod and report back with results :geek:

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

YuokiTani wrote: but because request and share some pain ... here nearly all wood-pictures in single files for download ... and have fun include these in factorio ... if you are done show me a picture to maybe fix some issues.
Awesome GFX Yuoki. Thanks for all the support you give us modders with your contributions!

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

So far so good! I need to do some tweaks to the fluid windows but the pipes are otherwise fully functional :)
Last edited by aubergine18 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Pipe windows WIP:
Would it be possible to get versions of the horizontal and vertical pipes (with no window or braces) as separate pipe and shadow images? It looks like I'm going to need to spend some time tweaking images to make them align and overlap more correctly in certain scenarios.
Last edited by aubergine18 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

i personal don't use pipe-windows because you get the fluid-icon anyways - and need glass to make it ^^.
i have never seen long pipes with pipe-windows ... beside glass-pipes ...

if you don't windows use simply the same straight pipe gfx, same for braces ...
best effekt if you reverse the system ... blank-pipe -> vanilla-window, brace in other case etc.

i warned you ... pipes are pain ;)

original-vanilla-pipes also in oversize, so you need to shift, crop etc. to get perfect fit.
also imagine people lay pipes to connect something. in my opinion it's not nessesary to perfect left- or right-end pipes ... okay looks not always nice.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Progress update:
Just need to finish edits to the corner sprites and it's done :)

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Finished :)

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

very nice :)
Do you want todo the same work with clay-pipes ?

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Hi - sorry for late reply.

Now that I've worked out how the pipe sprites work, it should be relatively easy to add more, however I'm now not sure I need more - at least in the early 'agricultural' tech stage of my mod.

I've got a water source set up (based on the Stone Water Well mod, but need to try and get in touch with original author to see if I can use it):
My focus is now on where the water goes, for example:

* Filter (consumes water+charcoal, or water+sand, to produce "filtered water")
* Bakery (consumes filtered water + flour, to produce bread)
* Brewery (consumes filtered water + hops, to produce beer)
* Wood storage tank (storage of water)

If you'd be willing to help with sprites for any of those I can post some details?

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

you can always post details ... it's always a chance a other guy make/suggest gfx :)

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Done!] Wood and Clay fluid pipes

Post by noliVe »

im sorry for pushing this up but the artwork is so nice it need more attention!!!

Return to “Texture Packs”