Really -- The best use for light oil.

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

rlerner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Really -- The best use for light oil.

Post by rlerner »

Make it into solid fuel:

And replace water with it...

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Really -- The best use for light oil.

Post by rk84 »

I don't get it. I have had no overflow problems with light oil. I even crack heavy to get more light oil for solid fuel. Currently I run 120 steam engines with water.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Even If you have overflow... Using it instead of water... Its wastefull... Crack it into gas if you dont need it

Marqee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marqee »

light oil right now is overproduced.
once started i was full of carbon and was too much anyway
after the introduction of light oil to solid fuel i stopped mining coal and got 80k of solid fuel
while i was always on low level of sulfur and plastic needed for advanced circuits, batteries and robots, accumulators for solar pannel rig
once i could i got rid of steam engine with solar i stopped producing solid fuel too.
in the meanwhile i stocked 91k coal an 61k solid fuel that are only wasting space. while growing i used them as much as i could.
in the same time i stocked 9k plastic and 9k sulfur.
but i have some tanks of light oil too left.
i think the light oil must be changed because it is too much anyway even with the new crack recipe.
Check my 3 zones of the factory with backup storage tank.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

If you need that many tanks, you're probably doing something wrong.

The only time you really "need" tanks are for crude oil (Imports/exports), lubricant (to buffer for engines), and Sulfuric Acid (buffer for batteries and processors, especially if you export the sulfur)

If you need more than one tank for light/heavy oil, you need to get cracking. Light oil by itself is virtually useless, so having it back-up into tanks just means you don't have enough chem labs to convert it into something functionally useful.

The only, only, only reason to have that many tanks is if you have some kind of 'burst production' layout with ten or twenty-plus refineries to rapidly process a lot of oil at once, then go dormant waiting for the next shipment. Finding that much oil is another problem entirely.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

If you have excess, dont store, crack...
And if you need more heavy oil, use the first oil processing instead of the advanced oil processing.
The problem now is not that it is overproduced, I think the problem is that people dont really know how to find a balance.

My recomendation: Mine all those tanks and start cracking :)

Also... If you have 9k of sulphur, 9k of plastic, some tanks of heavy oil and tons of tanks of light oil, what you migh be overproducing is all oil, reduce the production and crack moreee

rlerner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rlerner »

I'm missing the whole crack thing -- how do I turn light oil into gas?

Ya'll on crack.

Marquee -- My factory has very few solar panels to keep the solid fuel consumption as high as I can get it. Maybe try that with yours? Not sure if that will help at all, but on your map it seems you're targeting low pollution :)

I may be overproducing gas, but it doesn't matter much. As for storing crude, I have a huge storage field for it. I like to do it that way so I have one big refining area that can accept multiple inputs without worrying about extensive piping. Any remote mining sites I had make solid fuel off of all three types of fuel... I found a pretty solid "node" of fuel on a clean chunk of land :P

rlerner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rlerner »

Found the cracking thing.

Well, there goes my forum rep. Thought I was going to impress all of you. Now I realize I'm a failure, and am quite sad :(

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

rlerner wrote:Found the cracking thing.

Well, there goes my forum rep. Thought I was going to impress all of you. Now I realize I'm a failure, and am quite sad :(
Well cracking was added in 0.9.1 so if the map had been made in 0.9 it could not appear in the recipes and work weirdly so dont worry :)

Marqee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marqee »

ficolas wrote:If you have excess, dont store, crack...
And if you need more heavy oil, use the first oil processing instead of the advanced oil processing.
The problem now is not that it is overproduced, I think the problem is that people dont really know how to find a balance.

My recomendation: Mine all those tanks and start cracking :)

Also... If you have 9k of sulphur, 9k of plastic, some tanks of heavy oil and tons of tanks of light oil, what you migh be overproducing is all oil, reduce the production and crack moreee
i know , and maybe my factory is not really balanced
but as i tested even if i crack light oil into gas petroleum i still have an overproduction of oil.
the problem is to upkeep plastic and sulfur i need petroleum gas , as much as possible. but producing petroleum gas i get more light oil.
at the end i gel lot more light oil than gas.
so i need more oil cracking than gas petroleum production sites.
i made external chemical site to feed plastic / sulfur that i switch when needed.

And i have now all solid fuel production OFF ( so i have more light oil accumulation ) cause i got rig of all steam engine thanks to my massive solar field.

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

but as i tested even if i crack light oil into gas petroleum i still have an overproduction of oil.
the problem is to upkeep plastic and sulfur i need petroleum gas , as much as possible. but producing petroleum gas i get more light oil.
Either I am getting something wrong, or you are doing the wrong thing. I believe the setup should be:
Crude oil -> Refinery;
Refinery -> Petroleum gas
Refinery -> Light oil -> Chemlab (cracking) -> Petroleum gas
Ref.->Heavy oil->Chemlab(c)->Light oil->chemlab(c)-> Petrogas

At least this is how I do it (and using a teeny bit of heavy oil for lubricant) and I get a fair amount of petrogas until crude oil supplies run out AND I do not get refinery backlogs.

Return to “Show your Creations”