nothing special, just starting a new base with science 1/2

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

nothing special, just starting a new base with science 1/2

Post by sparr »

The gear and circuit production are both overkill, but will be put to good use a bit further down the line.
Attachments
out.jpg
out.jpg (534.73 KiB) Viewed 14791 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: nothing special, just starting a new base with science 1

Post by ssilk »

Puting copper wire on belt doesn't make sense. Produce it always directly.
Having 4 red and 5 green potion production is oversized.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

ssilk wrote:Puting copper wire on belt doesn't make sense. Produce it always directly.
You're the second person to tell me this. I hate micro-managing the copper wire production (it's one of the only thing that requires fast inserters, fast belt corners, etc) so I choose to centralize it and do it just once.
ssilk wrote:Having 4 red and 5 green potion production is oversized.
I'm 6 hours into my current save and still have a LOT of stuff to research. I'll probably make it 5 red and 6 green next time.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

sparr wrote:
ssilk wrote:Puting copper wire on belt doesn't make sense. Produce it always directly.
You're the second person to tell me this. I hate micro-managing the copper wire production (it's one of the only thing that requires fast inserters, fast belt corners, etc) so I choose to centralize it and do it just once.
The reason is that the belt becomes a bottleneck very quickly. There is no need to micromanage copper wire production.

Copper wire is used mainly for circuits. Instead of creating copper wire in one place, and circuits in another place, you can put a copper wire assembler next to each circuit assembler and feed wire directly into the circuit assembler. No more micromanaging belts to remove the bottlenecks.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

sparr wrote:
I'm 6 hours into my current save and still have a LOT of stuff to research. I'll probably make it 5 red and 6 green next time.
This is, because you produce to much assemblies instead of green and blue potion. Your assemblies have nothing to do. I can explain you!

Compare:

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _machine_1

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... nce_pack_1

You can produce about eleven science packs 1 for one assembly. For the green it's currently not calculated, but also between 3-5. So alone for the unneeded assemblies you installed in the pic I had researched three to five more things.

I try always to install only as many as currently needed. If the space is too small, I rebuild anywhere else and break down the old (or let it run, because it's working fine).

In my last game I had an installation of 16 or 20 (not sure) labs and I was able to keep that running with two red-, three green- and three blue-potion assemblies. They where of course updated and had the best modules, but the labs also run with modules.

You would have barely a chance. :)

MaxStrategy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MaxStrategy »

If you place your belts 2 tiles apart instead of 1 you will only need half as many underground belts setup since you won't require them vertically ;)

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

MaxStrategy wrote:If you place your belts 2 tiles apart instead of 1 you will only need half as many underground belts setup since you won't require them vertically ;)
There are trade-offs for any configuration. The wider it gets, the more wasted belts and items for the horizontal travel.

I think in the end I'll go with pairs of belts, two tiles apart.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

ssilk wrote:
sparr wrote:
This is, because you produce to much assemblies instead of green and blue potion. Your assemblies have nothing to do. I can explain you!

Compare:

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _machine_1

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... nce_pack_1

You can produce about eleven science packs 1 for one assembly. For the green it's currently not calculated, but also between 3-5. So alone for the unneeded assemblies you installed in the pic I had researched three to five more things.

I try always to install only as many as currently needed. If the space is too small, I rebuild anywhere else and break down the old (or let it run, because it's working fine).

In my last game I had an installation of 16 or 20 (not sure) labs and I was able to keep that running with two red-, three green- and three blue-potion assemblies. They where of course updated and had the best modules, but the labs also run with modules.

You would have barely a chance. :)
Is this actually a problem? I always find that the limiting factor is crafting speed, not raw resources (At least in 0.8.8) until you get to a certain point. There are enough resources on his conveyor belts to make a few more assembling machines.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In the early game I always have problems with too less resources. It is the same as in Supreme Commander: if you built too much, too fast, too many, the resources are spread into the wrong directions. You can never keep that up.

Or in other words: before you build a new assembly, look, if you have enough mines, enough furnaces etc. Bottom up!

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

I'm with immibis. Unless I'm playing the supply challenge or deathworld and counting every single resource I spend, I've pretty much always got enough resources to build structures as fast as I want to.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well. As long as we can't compare two games, I fear we must live with the fact, that everyone thinks, his style is the best. :)

Return to “Show your Creations”