Topics and discussion about specific mods
DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Avatars (0.3.1)

Post by DedlySpyder »

Info:
  • Adds Avatar entities to the game that the player can remotely control
  • Avatars can do everything that players can (except control other avatars)
  • Has its own tab in the crafting menu
  • Avatars are quite costly to make, but you can have as many as you want.
  • **NOTE: Multiplayer avatar deaths are not fully supported yet (see Long Description for more info)
  • Xterminator Mod Spotlight (Version 0.2.0)
Details:
  • Factorio Version: 0.12.x+ (tested with 0.12.33, should work with any stable 0.12)
  • Released: May 3, 2016
  • Download:
    (1.37 MiB) Downloaded 438 times
    (Old versions can be found on FactorioMods)
  • License: CC-BY-NC-SA
Long Description
Known Issues
Screenshots
Commands
To Do
Version history

All feedback and bug reports are welcome!
Last edited by DedlySpyder on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Jeri.c
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Avatars

Post by Jeri.c »

So does this mean an avatar can craft something and then while another avatar craft another thing?

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

Jeri.c wrote:So does this mean an avatar can craft something and then while another avatar craft another thing?
Yes, each avatar has its own crafting queue, inventory, armor, weapons, etc.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

This is extremely cool sounding! There are so many possibilities with this. :D
I can imagine like creating one and leaving it at an outpost with some resources and miners and then when there is an issue at the outpost or you need to expand the mining you could hop over to the avatar there and get it done.

Also great for combat scenarios too. Definitely going to try this out. Look forward dto future development!
Image Image Image

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

Xterminator wrote:This is extremely cool sounding! There are so many possibilities with this. :D
I can imagine like creating one and leaving it at an outpost with some resources and miners and then when there is an issue at the outpost or you need to expand the mining you could hop over to the avatar there and get it done.

Also great for combat scenarios too. Definitely going to try this out. Look forward dto future development!

Thanks :D. Also, I have plans for an entity that I will store a few avatars, and spawn them one at a time. (i.e. It starts with one and spawns the others if the first one dies). I can see having battle outposts that have trains giving them supplies, that the player controls an avatar when it's time to fight some biters far from home.

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Avatars (0.2.2)

Post by DedlySpyder »

Hope no one blinked too fast, two updates coming in today. Sorry to anyone stuck in an avatar, check the first post for a new command to get you unstuck.

• Added interface support for other mods that place entities
  • Corrected a bug with commands designed for players to call
  • Fixed Disconnect button disappearing when an Avatar exits any vehicle

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Avatars (0.2.3)

Post by DedlySpyder »

(Ok, I swear I'm done updating at least for today)

• Fixed interaction with other control changing mods like FAT Controller

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Just tried out this mod. Quite cool.

My only complaint is being reminded of how slow the default characters are without power armor and exoskeleton.

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

kiba wrote:Just tried out this mod. Quite cool.

My only complaint is being reminded of how slow the default characters are without power armor and exoskeleton.
The avatars can wear power armor. I may actually make special, avatar-only equipment in the future (0.13 should add stuff to let me handle it).

meAndmyself
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by meAndmyself »

This mod is pure genius. The cost makes it a very late game tech, which is perfect.

Having an avatar at every outpost and a couple spread across the base removes one of the most annoying parts of the game, the walking and really increases the fun because you can be almost everywhere very quickly. Also it creates nice end game content and finally provides a good use for all the alien artefacts.

Only issue is that I've used up 10 k alient artefacts to make my avatars and their armor and now I'm out... :D

I also ran into the missing disconnect button bug by the way, went to the forum to complain and the solution was already posted. Kudos!

But not everything is perfect. I've encountered 3 bugs:
- Once when leaving a running train I was stuck without a body. Not reproducable. Fixed by loading the last autosave.
- Once two avatar control buttons got mixed up and both buttons controlled the same avatar with no way to reach the missing avatar. Not reproducable. Fixed by loading the last autosave.
- The inventory size of the avatars does not consider the inventory size of the main body. I'm using the inventory size mod.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is the kind of things I hope to see in vanilla one day. I wonder, however, why an "avatar assembling machine" ? why not a regular assembling machine to assemble the avatar ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

meAndmyself wrote:But not everything is perfect. I've encountered 3 bugs:
- Once when leaving a running train I was stuck without a body. Not reproducable. Fixed by loading the last autosave.
- Once two avatar control buttons got mixed up and both buttons controlled the same avatar with no way to reach the missing avatar. Not reproducable. Fixed by loading the last autosave.
- The inventory size of the avatars does not consider the inventory size of the main body. I'm using the inventory size mod.
Thank you for the praise :D . As for the bugs, I will look into them, but if you have anymore information on them, that could help me find it better:

- Do you remember if you still had the Disconnect button when you didn't have a body? (Also, check the commands in the first post for a manual swap back command)
- Did you try leaving and re-entering the control center for the duplicate control button issue?

The inventory size is how I would prefer it, it gives you a tiny sacrifice to using the avatars (also I may tweak the numbers one day and maybe add higher tiers of avatars).

Koub wrote:This is the kind of things I hope to see in vanilla one day. I wonder, however, why an "avatar assembling machine" ? why not a regular assembling machine to assemble the avatar ?
The special assembling machine was my hope of having an awesome graphic for it in my head, but when it came down to putting it in I have very little artistic talent. I think I am going to remove the requirement of it, or try to make it so that the current one automatically places the avatars, while a normal assembler would just craft it as normal.

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Avatars (0.3.0)

Post by DedlySpyder »

I got a few quality of life things fixed for this patch. Multiplayer is still wonky, but that should be fixable in 0.13. Any feedback is welcome.

• Added the Avatar Remote Deployment Unit
  • Avatars can now be made in any assembling machine that has enough ingredient slots
  • Reworked Avatar Assembling Machine
    • Costs less to make
    • Places avatars crafted inside in front of it
  • Avatar Assembling Machine now give the proper item when mined (oops)
  • Fixed a light compatibility issue

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Avatars (0.3.1)

Post by DedlySpyder »

Minor fix, also remove a useless graphic file.

• Production modules now work on all intermediate items

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

For the avatar remote deployment unit, would you say that its a force field or a liquid tank?
Also I think the avatar assembler should be the only assembler that is able to correctly program the avatar parts. :P

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

sporefreak wrote:For the avatar remote deployment unit, would you say that its a force field or a liquid tank?
It's just the alien tech icon with the biter photo-shopped out for an avatar, so I'd say liquid.
sporefreak wrote:Also I think the avatar assembler should be the only assembler that is able to correctly program the avatar parts. :P
I originally had the avatars only craftable by my assembling machine, but it felt too contrived.

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

DedlySpyder wrote: It's just the alien tech icon with the biter photo-shopped out for an avatar, so I'd say liquid.
Want me to try animating it? I was playing around with the icon earlier and i think i can pull off a good animation :P

Also maybe make it a config for avatars only being craftable via special assembling?
Love the mod by the way! I have had the most fun tinkering with this one so far.

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

sporefreak wrote:Want me to try animating it? I was playing around with the icon earlier and i think i can pull off a good animation :P
Go for it, I don't plan to, I don't have the patience to try that kind of graphic work.

As for the crafting config, I think that is doable, I've written it down to add it when I have time. Although, I think there may be some issues with changing it midway through a game (there is sadly no way to tell if someone edits a config file at the moment).

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Like it... although I haven't fully used it, because to my disappointment, Avatar Skin cannot(!) be made in an Avatar Assembling Machine. I think it at least should. Haven't found where the restriction comes from, but then, I'm still getting a feel for modding. Maybe it's because the AAM cannot take water input?

I'd like an option so anything avatar can only be made in those special assemblers. And I don't see it as contrived, it's just *very* special tech. Other mods have special assemblers too, so why not this?

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

Jürgen Erhard wrote:Like it... although I haven't fully used it, because to my disappointment, Avatar Skin cannot(!) be made in an Avatar Assembling Machine. I think it at least should. Haven't found where the restriction comes from, but then, I'm still getting a feel for modding. Maybe it's because the AAM cannot take water input?

I'd like an option so anything avatar can only be made in those special assemblers. And I don't see it as contrived, it's just *very* special tech. Other mods have special assemblers too, so why not this?
The doors on the assembler are actually fluid boxes, so I can't have fluid inputs on the assembler

Return to “Mods”