Topics and discussion about specific mods
Wyrframe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Mod 0.14, 0.12] Smelting (reborn!)

Post by Wyrframe »

Type: Mod
Name: Smelting
Description: This mod leaves the stock smelting process intact, and adds an unpacked production cycle that can be tuned and improved more easily than stock.
License: MIT
Version: 0.1.5
Release: 2016-11-23
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.14.20 (steam)
Category: Crafting
Tags: ores,plates
Download-Url:
Smelting_0.1.5.zip
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 222 times
This mod was abandoned by forum user monty. He gave permission in the original mod thread here, for others to pick up where he left off. I've done exactly that, fixing the remaining bugs and polishing up the rough edges. I intend to re-do his documentation, and grow the mod a little further, while still keeping it a purely "Stock-Plus" style mod.
Long Description
Cross-Functionality and Compatibility
Version and Upgrade Notes
Screenshots
Comparison vs. Stock
Past Versions
Last edited by Wyrframe on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

Wyrframe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.12.X] Smelting (reborn!)

Post by Wyrframe »

( this space reserved for future updates )

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

I had a save with the original smelter mod in it so I removed that and dropped this one in. That proved seamless but since that game is just at the green science stage I don't have much to say. The smelting processes start unlocking with green science but require oil products. First priority after getting oil going is always blue science which makes me wonder why put the smelting stuff where it is. As it stands, smelting seems to be a late game type of thing. It might be worth looking at whether the small smelting stuff should be available prior to oil. As is stands now it seems more of something to play around with late on rather than something integrated into the factory as it grows.
Plus I hope you do something about storing the liquid metals. Putting liquid copper/iron/steel into tanks with zero energy usage to keep them liquid indefinitely just feels wrong. Tanks to do it should really have some sort of ceramic component to be able to resist melting and require heating to cover thermal losses.

Wyrframe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wyrframe »

Ratzap wrote: tldr
* Research unlocks products seemingly too early, maybe make small smelting available before plastic?
* Stockpiling liquid metal is weird and overpowered.
I agree on both points. My first release here is really just a bugfix release; clean up the rough edges, get the stamping working as a furnace instead of an assembler, and fix the localization. Now I can start looking at balance and setting-suitability.

On the research issue, I think I'll make only the roll/plate jobs available at "Smelting Line", and require another research item to unlock the wire jobs.

For the stockpiling problem... I'm not sure. What I'd like to do is have material cool down and become somehow unusable if stockpiled too long, and I think the best way to do that is a script which checks for tanks with liquid metal in them and damage them slowly. Your idea about a ceramic tank could be an upgrade to avoid that issue. But at this stage, I have no idea how to do that. I'll have to look into it.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Wyrframe wrote: For the stockpiling problem... I'm not sure. What I'd like to do is have material cool down and become somehow unusable if stockpiled too long, and I think the best way to do that is a script which checks for tanks with liquid metal in them and damage them slowly. Your idea about a ceramic tank could be an upgrade to avoid that issue. But at this stage, I have no idea how to do that. I'll have to look into it.
That or a fairly beefy power requirement for the tank? Anyhow, good that the mod won't gather dust.

Wyrframe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wyrframe »

v0.1.2 now up. Check it out in the first post!

* Improved Research; plastic spool and copper cable/wire jobs are now an extra research item to carry out. Costs rebalanced to suit.
* Added reasonable "default" temperatures to molten copper and iron, vaguely reflective of their IRL melting points.
* Rebalanced power usage slightly; moved some of the load off smelters, put it onto casting presses and (in near-future) heated storage tanks.
* Superhot fluids slowly damage stock storage tanks and pumps. Use the provided Heated Storage Tank and Industrial Pump (both unlocked with new tech, "Hot Fluid Handling").
* Added Heated Storage Tank. THIS CURRENTLY LACKS A POWER REQUIREMENT, but will have one in future iterations.
* Added Industrial Pump. This has four times the pumping rate of small pumps, and a similarly higher power usage, but is also heat-resistant like the heated storage tank.

DonParpan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DonParpan »

Getting an error.

Code: Select all

Unknown key:"Error while running the on_init: __Smelting__/control.lua:56: No modifications of Entity Prototype are currently possible."
All other mods are currently disabled to see if it was one of them but I still get that error.

Wyrframe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wyrframe »

Odd, it's not supposed to try to do that during init, only during load. I'll look into it.

Wyrframe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wyrframe »

v0.1.4 now up. Fixes some control.lua bugs which were causing initialization issues and mod conflicts. They're sorted out now. Also new screenshots available in the linked album.

Return to “Mods”