Friday Facts #17

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #17

Post by slpwnd »

We didn't forget, the FFF continues with the number 17: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-17

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #17

Post by Gammro »

That's a bit... underwhelming :P

Edit: Ah, now there is an update, woohoo :D
Ignore this

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Gammro wrote:That's a bit... underwhelming :P
The forum post and the blog cross reference each other, so there is a short period of time when the forum post is there but the blog post not yet :D

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MCDomYT »

ooooh, those new pipes and storage tanks look nice ;)
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

http://www.youtube.com/MCDomYT

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Nice tanks! I personally think they would blend quite nicely with the rest of the game.

About pipes - have you considered having two separate pipe types, where one has windows and other does not? I feel like solid pipes would look much better. The window doesn't even need to be in pipe form either - It can be a gauge that not only will show type of liquid passing through, but also allow players to see liquid flow values, and in future allow logic conditionals too.

Renwallz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Renwallz »

Do I see pipes running adjacent to each other without connecting? :o

It's looking awesome, I agree with Garm that they already fit the world quite well, and I cannot wait to add them to my world.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

I wanted to mention - you really don't need to make graphic perfect for first experimental version. Don't let yourself be slowed down by this, it can be updated later, while you work on bugs to make it stable, albert can work on "stable" graphics. We still have blank square rocket defense, but nobody cares, features are important, it's just a 2D game, graphics can always wait, not game content not being added because waiting for graphics.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

I disagree, For a game hoping to get greenlit and have an explosive steam start graphics are needed unfortunately.

rsdworker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rsdworker »

Garm wrote:I disagree, For a game hoping to get greenlit and have an explosive steam start graphics are needed unfortunately.
well not all game have huge graphics - have look at PA = prison architect which does not need have huge amount of graphic - its a basic what steam can do greenlit games

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MCDomYT »

graphics arent about everything! its more to do with the actual game than the visual aspect
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

http://www.youtube.com/MCDomYT

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

rsdworker wrote:well not all game have huge graphics - have look at PA = prison architect which does not need have huge amount of graphic
Prison Architect isn't best example for this. Why? The main reason why PA has been so popular even before it passed steam greenliught process is the fact that it is developed by Introversion software a game development studio which has already been known for a verry sucsessfull game Darwinia and later Multiwinia.
Yes I have been monitoring PA almost from the start and bought myself 3rd or 4th Alpha release that came out. And at the verry beginning I remember most pepole saying "Lets try PA it should be great game becouse it comes from authors of Darwinia."

Anywhay I'm not trying to say that a game needs to have excelent graphics to become sucsessfull but it does help a lot if its graphics are consistent (game doesn't have certain graphics looking great while others are crappy).
Also you have to realize that while developers are waiting for their graphic artist to finish design on better graphics they won't just sit and wait but do some more testing on nwly implemented features which means less chance for bugs getting into release.
Also during that time they might realize that current implementation of some new feature isn't best so they might go and reimplement it in different way. Now doing so after such feature was already released to public might not be so easy as reimplemnting it could break existing savegames not to mention cofuse the players.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

SilverWarior wrote: Also you have to realize that while developers are waiting for their graphic artist to finish design on better graphics they won't just sit and wait.
Exactly, we certainly have enough work for long time ahead :)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

SilverWarior wrote:Anywhay I'm not trying to say that a game needs to have excelent graphics to become sucsessfull but it does help a lot if its graphics are consistent (game doesn't have certain graphics looking great while others are crappy).
This is a very good point. We are definitely not going for impressive graphics and pushing the limits of what graphics in the games can do (there are other games try to do that). We believe that the strong point of Factorio is the gameplay. But the graphics needs to be consistent and give a proper atmosphere. If a new person sees 2 minutes from the trailer or some video on youtube and he is like "they even haven't bothered to put some proper icons in the game or make sprites for rocket defense" then there is a good chance he will not give the game a chance at all. Certainly, not everybody is like that, but many people are (I am for instance :)).

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

The pipes now have proper "cap" plates on loose ends? neat.

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quadrapod »

There is an error in your hyperlink there when you say "one of the past friday facts". It links to http://localhost:5100/blog/post/fff-12 when it should link to http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-12

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

quadrapod wrote:There is an error in your hyperlink there when you say "one of the past friday facts". It links to http://localhost:5100/blog/post/fff-12 when it should link to http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-12
Thanks for the catch:) It is fixed now.

Return to “News”