Friday Facts #16

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #16

Post by slpwnd »

It wouldn't be a Friday without the Friday Facts: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-16

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #16

Post by Nirahiel »

Woohoo, blueprints !
Awesome :D

Also, first !!

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Wow those blueprints look amazing. I can't wait to see it in action. That'll also be awesome in multiplayer down the road if you can share blueprints and stuff.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

So so so so sooooo awesome! As I said in an earlier post the update im most excited about :D

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Thanks for the update. :)

What I was really hoping, that these blueprints will be accessible somewhat in the game menue/interface itself in some kind of spellbook.

So that I can take the saved blueprint and design from some of my earlier savegames and use them in my other games after. Any possibilities to see that happen?

Edit: ideal solution: This global blueprint-spellbook, and every blueprint is stored in a seperate file on the HDD. So everyone could share and import blueprint-designs

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

BurnHard wrote:Thanks for the update. :)

What I was really hoping, that these blueprints will be accessible somewhat in the game menue/interface itself in some kind of spellbook.

So that I can take the saved blueprint and design from some of my earlier savegames and use them in my other games after. Any possibilities to see that happen?

Edit: ideal solution: This global blueprint-spellbook, and every blueprint is stored in a seperate file on the HDD. So everyone could share and import blueprint-designs
It would be shame to not provide some way to share blueprints. I can imagine some kind of machine, that can setup the blueprintalternatively and you can pick anything from your library.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

There's a game called Star Ruler that has ship designs and you can export/import 'blueprints'. It's quite interesting. They even have a dedicated section of their website that people can upload them to. That sort of thing would go a long way with blueprints here when it's all up and running I reckon.

Robik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Robik »

TGS wrote:There's a game called Star Ruler that has ship designs and you can export/import 'blueprints'. It's quite interesting. They even have a dedicated section of their website that people can upload them to. That sort of thing would go a long way with blueprints here when it's all up and running I reckon.
That is neat idea.

By the way, in-game sharing of blueprints between players might be another service that legit customers enjoy.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

That's great to hear.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Nice! Really looking forward to blueprints. That will make building train loading stations and sorting lanes much less tiresome and maybe finally better than belts. So far i built trains just because i like them and always realized that on that distance, a belt would be built 10x faster than rails and all the stations with storage.

Output liquids, yay. Contaminated water from plants and pouring it somewhere for heavily increased pollution possible.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Great work!

Only thing i am not sure about - the tooltip for blueprint. I think showing the blueprint of a large structure would be cumbersome and either cropped if shown at full scale, or barely legible if scaled to fit.

I think it would be better if player can name the blueprint and optionally add some description in the tooltip instead. When player tries to place blueprint it would then show the actual form.

marsch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by marsch »

NIce to see your development process. I like the new oil.

What is you experince with the automated tests, what do you use and do you find more bux in less time?
I worked in Quality Assurance and had different experiences. Your test writers need to involv in development meetings...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

marsch wrote:NIce to see your development process. I like the new oil.

What is you experince with the automated tests, what do you use and do you find more bux in less time?
I worked in Quality Assurance and had different experiences. Your test writers need to involv in development meetings...
We are going to be our test writters :)

Return to “News”