Friday Facts #10

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #10

Post by slpwnd »

rsdworker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by rsdworker »

looks nice

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

does reconstruction take the full amount of resources?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

It's friday again!!! I seriously can't wait until release. The terrain looks great, and the roboport and repair bots sound awesome.

Btw: are those 2 types of water?
Ignore this

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

And what abut the settings, resources and modules that were in the building before its destruction? Will they be restored or preserved in some way?

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

LoSboccacc wrote:does reconstruction take the full amount of resources?
According to the blog entry, reconstruction only happens if the exact item corresponding to the destroyed entity is available, so I guess that's consumed.

Repairs would be more interesting, considering that the player can currently “repair” for free.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

EstebanLB wrote:And what abut the settings, resources and modules that were in the building before its destruction? Will they be restored or preserved in some way?
I guess, but destruction means for me, it is destructed, gone, away, not more there. :) What might be restructed is the settings, hat should be easy. But it's eventually complicated, when a smart inserter needs a wire to a not repaired pole...

I think, we (the community) 'll see.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

wrtlprnft wrote:Repairs would be more interesting, considering that the player can currently “repair” for free.
More about repairs in the last random ramblings: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =38&t=1650
In other words, repairs are already done.
EstebanLB wrote:And what abut the settings, resources and modules that were in the building before its destruction? Will they be restored or preserved in some way?
The reconstruction is really applied when the building is completely destroyed, all the modules and contents are lost.
On the other hand some of the settings are kept (request settings of requester chests, filters of filter inserters, assembling machine recipe etc.)
There are some things that will not be rebuilt now, maybe next release
  • The connection to the circuit network (between machines as well as between electric poles).
  • The connection of the train station to the schedule.
  • And other stuff that will be found for sure.
The good thing is, that this funcionality is practically preparation for the blueprints as applying the blueprint will create these ghost buildings as well, and the rest will be the same principle as when rebuilding, but blueprints will not be in this release, just to make sure :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Great idea to combine that with repair. ^^

Would it be possible to create the ghost buildings myself? And is it possible to "rebuild" a building which is ghosted by myself?

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

I am actually more curious about different shades of water in the picture :)

Is it just graphical only? like ocean\swamp? or somewhat more functional (fresh/salty).....or I dare to say clean\polluted? :twisted:

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Garm wrote:I am actually more curious about different shades of water in the picture :)

Is it just graphical only? like ocean\swamp? or somewhat more functional (fresh/salty).....or I dare to say clean\polluted? :twisted:
At the moment it is just a graphical variant. Though we were thinking about the in-game functionality. Something like swamps which would be a terrain where you can walk (and enemies too), but you cannot build.

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

I like the swamp tiles. They look like there's lots of interesting stuff to do with them, like drying or extracting stuff from them. Can they collide with water or is it currently just one or the other?

Rebuild bots are great, though they still won't remove the anti-OCD less-than-100% lifebars from damaged walls. Are automatic repairs in plans or maybe even implemented already?

Now a bunch of questions, organized so that they don't look like a total clusterfuck:

1. Are bots still released into the air by the player? If so, how do they find the port if 2 are available?
2. Can the roboport have bots inserted/removed by inserters?
3. Are bots repaired in the port?
4. What happens to bots with underpowered (<100% energy) ports?
5. Can ports be "chained" to share resources over a large area?
  • If they can, does the area traveled by a bot need to be entirely within covered area or can it be just in the convex hull (smallest convex polygon encompassing the area)?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Coolthulhu wrote:Are automatic repairs in plans or maybe even implemented already?
Done already.
Coolthulhu wrote:Now a bunch of questions, organized so that they don't look like a total clusterfuck:
The concept of the robot tower (roboport) is work in progress at the moment. So the answers are in regard how we picture it will be, not how it is atm. It is quite possible that we will not have time to implement all the functionality and will have to do some simplifications.
Coolthulhu wrote:1. Are bots still released into the air by the player? If so, how do they find the port if 2 are available?
The robots will have to be put into the port.
Coolthulhu wrote:2. Can the roboport have bots inserted/removed by inserters?
Yes.
Coolthulhu wrote:3. Are bots repaired in the port?
At the moment the plan is to repair them during the charging. Though this is still questionable.
Coolthulhu wrote:4. What happens to bots with underpowered (<100% energy) ports?
Tricky. When the port runs out of energy it will stop transmitting the radio signal. Effectively shutting down. This will be compensated by the port having an internal buffer that will allow it to stay powered for a while even after the electricity goes out.
Coolthulhu wrote:5. Can ports be "chained" to share resources over a large area?
Yes.
Coolthulhu wrote:If they can, does the area traveled by a bot need to be entirely within covered area or can it be just in the convex hull (smallest convex polygon encompassing the area)?
It should be within the covered area. One point of the ports is to create separate logistic areas (the main base, the exp, etc.)

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

ghost structure decay shoud be way longer then 5 minutes, maybe single hour?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Are you already complaining about the balancing of an unreleased patch?
Ignore this

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

RawCode wrote:ghost structure decay shoud be way longer then 5 minutes, maybe single hour?
I think any longer then five minutes is considered cheating. If you dont have it, and the ghost building is gone, you werent fast enough. To my opinion it should be 2 minutes max. But i like my games hard ;)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

If you need it longer (which is eventually useful later, if you plan, while waiting for enough resources) they can surely add something, which is able to refresh the ghost buildings, so that they don't disappear. But that needs this building and energy...

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

game is very grindy and very slow, 5 minutes is not viable for current game pacing.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

How can you say that before the update is even released? I wouldn't mind it being changeable(either via mods or a menu option). But to say it's too short before you've even had the chance to try it is just weird.
Ignore this

askovdk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by askovdk »

The amazon drone video already seems viral, but if you haven't seen it yet, then it is very 'Factorio logistic robot'-ish. :-)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ry-service

Return to “News”