Friday Facts 8

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts 8

Post by slpwnd »

The regular batch of news from the Factorio world is available at: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-8

Shirow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts 8

Post by Shirow »

Most excellent updates.

I'm continued to interested in these small state-of-affairs updates to see how everything is going on.
I am curious to see what's going to happen when your game does get Greenlit on steam, and you start having Surprisingly high numbers of purchases per day.
I hope you have a plan ahead of time because large windfalls of money, without plans for such events, tends to be dangerous for most people. =)

May you never let your future success and prosperity interfere with the core values that make you interesting in the first place!
Good core focus, understanding on how things relate to the gameplay, and responsiveness to the community.

Looking forward to things.

~Shirow

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, that looks quite good. The editor has now a much more logic design. From what I saw in pic. :)

To the chests filing, what I would await is like so: first I select the slots I want to fill with the same item. Perhaps the new slot selector can be reused/extended? Then I have keys/buttons to fill/empty them completely, by 1/8 of max of that items in slot and by 1. Then I can commit that by unselecting/selecting something different, and repeat filling for other slots. To change something, selecting a number of slots is like selecting the first and all others are changed into that. More functions not needed, because this makes also emptying very easy. Later versions can extend the slot-selection.

And what I want to ask, if there would be a command line/"modding" in the editor? I would add me for example scripts like "put a lamp every 5 tiles from here to right 100 times."
Dreaming. :)

Edit: I thought a bit. Command line is not so needed, if we can make "macros". This should be possible, because we already have a playback function. This is how it may work: start macro, then every action is stored until end of macro. Then the saved macro can be replayed. In the vi-editor you press q and any letter, there are 26 macro-buffers. The replay is with ' and the same letter and it replays of course as fast as possible. You can also say "replay macro X 150 times". Maybe this is also useable for some kind of blueprint-like stuff, because you can of course replay another macro in a macro. :)

With this function (which also can be programmed) I made awesome stuff in vi, things which would take hours of programming just with two or three macros. Of course not so fast, but perfectly for one-time-jobs, for files with 10000 lines and more.
Last edited by ssilk on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zinzin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zinzin »

Do you have any more social activities planned next week? I happen to be visiting Prague ;)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Zinzin wrote:Do you have any more social activities planned next week? I happen to be visiting Prague ;)
When exactly would that be? Maybe we can go and grab a beer ...

Zinzin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zinzin »

slpwnd wrote:
Zinzin wrote:Do you have any more social activities planned next week? I happen to be visiting Prague ;)
When exactly would that be? Maybe we can go and grab a beer ...
Or two ;)
Just arrived at the hotel. With delay due to the fog...
I'm not leaving quite yet, so let's pick a day. Tuesday or so, unless you would prefer a different day.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Shirow wrote:I hope you have a plan ahead of time because large windfalls of money, without plans for such events, tends to be dangerous for most people. =)
Thinking about this is dangerous, as it is always dangerous to have high exceptations instead of being content with the things you have now.
Now I'm living a dream, I quit my job, and I can make a living by making computer game, I enjoy my work and I'm my own boss. The money is small compared to what I could get in corporate job, but I'm definitely more happy this way.
Lot of people who run somewhere to get money find out, that when they get it, there is nothing special behind, just emptiness, void .. and they are lost, because they have nowhere to run anymore.

Anyway ....
I personally have a wishlist of things I would like to do and I can't do it now because I can't afford it. In many cases it is not about money, but about the free time that you don't have when you have to work all the time.
This applies especially to wishes like "Go spend a week (days and nights) with the homeless people" or "run a (half) marathon", then there are lot of adventures wishes that require both money and time, and finally wishes like to get 5 children and house that require loads of money and time :)

The wish I think about the most is to buy my own paraglide with "Factorio" sign on it :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Nice, your opinion feels "right"...

... And why don't you put a paraglider into the game? With factorio sign? ;)

Really: it falls and rises depending on the land below. You can fly around o explore new land...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

ssilk wrote:To the chests filing, what I would await is like so: first I select the slots I want to fill with the same item. Perhaps the new slot selector can be reused/extended? Then I have keys/buttons to fill/empty them completely, by 1/8 of max of that items in slot and by 1. Then I can commit that by unselecting/selecting something different, and repeat filling for other slots. To change something, selecting a number of slots is like selecting the first and all others are changed into that. More functions not needed, because this makes also emptying very easy. Later versions can extend the slot-selection.
Interesting ideas as always. But I am afraid it is too complicated for what it is supposed to do. Actually I am contemplating just leaving the "in-game" like functinoality (shift L / R click, ctrl L / R click, ...) and adding an option to add / remove an exact number of elements (provided by the slider).
ssilk wrote:And what I want to ask, if there would be a command line/"modding" in the editor? I would add me for example scripts like "put a lamp every 5 tiles from here to right 100 times."
Dreaming.
I will see how it goes, having command line in the editor would be powerful indeed. Though it is not quite the same as in the game.
Zinzin wrote:Edit: I thought a bit. Command line is not so needed, if we can make "macros". This should be possible, because we already have a playback function. This is how it may work: start macro, then every action is stored until end of macro. Then the saved macro can be replayed. In the vi-editor you press q and any letter, there are 26 macro-buffers. The replay is with ' and the same letter and it replays of course as fast as possible. You can also say "replay macro X 150 times". Maybe this is also useable for some kind of blueprint-like stuff, because you can of course replay another macro in a macro.
I am a vim user myself. So yeah, macros are powerful. But again I am afraid it would be too complicated for what it is supposed to do (a good looking map).

Return to “News”