Random Ramblings #10

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Random Ramblings #10

Post by kovarex »

Money
The spike of the sales in the last week definitely changed the mood here. (The sales for the last week were almost as good as the sales per average month) We really needed this, as we were not far from the need to get a loan.

Life
One of my personal decisions was, that I can afford to get a life. Well ... more accurately, I can get ~25% of a life :) I will still work on Factorio 75% of my time, but I feel like I could spend the rest 25% by non working stuff. There is good chance that it will help the productivity anyway. Today I was in sauna, yesterday running and playing billiard, the day before that theatre etc. One small thing every day gives me a lot of refreshment and energy to work on Factorio.

Construction robots
Few minutes ago, I got first working version of the repair functionality of the construction robots. (First info about these is the friday facts: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-7)
The next step will be to teach them to not only repair damaged structures, but to reconstruct completely damaged parts of the factory as well. Say goodbye to manual checking of your defensive posts all the time. On the other hand, this will allow us to add more deadly enemies without denying the possibility of autonomous defenses.
We plan to use the construction robots to be used for automated building as well (blueprints), but I doubt it will squeeze into the 0.8

Editor
Tomas is working on the map editor improvements. Once we were forced to work with the editor (Tomas by working on Trailer, I was making the campaign levels), we could feel that it is really painful to use, so Tomas is adding couple of useful improvements, so there will be no more excuses to not make Custom scenarios :)
Attachments
200 construction robots deployed to repair different parts of the factory.
200 construction robots deployed to repair different parts of the factory.
repair-robots.jpg (424.21 KiB) Viewed 13742 times

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Random Ramblings #10

Post by FreeER »

Money - Awesome
Life - Good
Construction Robots - Super Awesome :)
Editor - YAY! :D

Question/statement: I can not really tell, but I hope all of those construction bots are not headed for the same place...There should probably be a limit equal to number needed to repair in decent amount of time (say ~5 seconds) per entity. Would also be interesting if there was a mk1 and mk2, mk1 would avoid all enemies (thus not great for keeping defenses running during an attack), mk2 could have an energy shield but would try to get away once health reached 5-10%?
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

They are headed for different targets.
One entity can't be repaired by more than one robot at the same time.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool!
Could they repair also themselves? Logistic-bots, trains? The pic looks like, that this is planned/already working. :)

PS: At long term about 50% of time is needed for yourself. We (where I work) have many experiences with that and all looks like that more than 7-9 hours brainwork daily (about 40 hours per week) reduces measurable the productivity. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ssilk wrote:Cool!
Could they repair also themselves? Logistic-bots, trains? The pic looks like, that this is planned/already working.
It already works and yes, they repair themselfs/logistic bots and trains, I had to make them slightly faster than logistic robots so they can catch these :)

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

kovarex wrote:
ssilk wrote:Cool!
Could they repair also themselves? Logistic-bots, trains? The pic looks like, that this is planned/already working.
It already works and yes, they repair themselfs/logistic bots and trains, I had to make them slightly faster than logistic robots so they can catch these :)
Haaha then i have to make 2 more tiers to catch my mk1 and 2 logistic robots ;)
But yay, i am looking forward to it. ;)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

Return to “News”