[MOD 1.1] Xander Mod v3.6.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
iriomotejin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Xander Mod v1.3.1

Post by iriomotejin »

Love this mod! Played 1.2.2, got to the electric furnaces and the nickel/calcium block. Awesome work, that's what Factorio needed.

I've been thinking about how to deal with the lockouts. I think it would be in the spirit of the mod to do it like it would be done in the reality: once some technological process is discovered, you can do small batches right away in the lab and get small quantities of the resulting materials that way. Then, if your technology requires the material to make the machines for its large scale production, you make the material in the lab little by little until you have enough for the first mature production line.

Here's an idea. You can make one or more new buildings (e.g. "Chemical Production Lab" and "Mechanical Production Lab") that can perform all the technological processes currently known, but a greatly reduced rate (say, 0.05). That would solve the problem of lockouts for good. In some cases it is perhaps better to fix the lockouts in the graph, but in that way you'll have the choice and will not have to sacrifice realism unless absolute necessary.

Looking forward to seeing the mod on Github!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

iriomotejin wrote:Here's an idea. You can make one or more new buildings (e.g. "Chemical Production Lab" and "Mechanical Production Lab") that can perform all the technological processes currently known, but a greatly reduced rate (say, 0.05). That would solve the problem of lockouts for good. In some cases it is perhaps better to fix the lockouts in the graph, but in that way you'll have the choice and will not have to sacrifice realism unless absolute necessary.
I like that idea. It solves bootstrapping without some ugly hack or requiring special bootstrapping recipes. Though i would do 0.01 crafting speed (0.05 still gets you 1.0 with "just" 20 labs), or go the extra mile and write a script to forbid placing more than one/five labs, and maybe make the labs also have exceptionally high energy drain.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Logistics should probably get a dependency on Steel Parts since the Steel Shaft is needed for yellow transport belts.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

GeekinaCave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GeekinaCave »

ironchefpython wrote:I'll be starting a public multiplayer game, anyone is welcome to join, as long as they help document any missing recipes or other issues.

Modlist:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Cerbrus/ ... acefulMode
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/jamesaguilar/long-reach
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/trold/Bottleneck

(and xander of course)
nice, but there is already some github repo where submit those issues? also what's the name of the server?

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all -

Wow, so much activity! I don't want to get distracted actually implementing fixes until I get the mod on GitHub, but I at least compiled everything from the recent posts here into a list of my own. I copied it roughly below, I guess it's like a precursor to a proper GitHub list of known issues. I also wanted to quickly address a lot of people's comments in a short space. Plus, you get to see some of my thought process and ideas, including apparently being a little bit too excited about very-large-scale-integration microchip circuits :)

Oh, I didn't list it here, but I did see the idea about the small lab building, to break bootstrapping locks. I considered something similar awhile ago, and I think someone else brought it up in the form of an early chemistry workbench, but I feel it's too ambitious for just now. If I can think up (read: if my mind dumps inspiration on me) a way to integrate it well, I'll strongly consider it. Or maybe someone else can fork it, once we're on GitHub! I guess that's pretty damn important huh? Yeah, wow.

========== Version 1.3.1 Released ==========

AESTHETIC
- Use the correct "bushing" term for bronze rotating shaft holders
- Different colors for the pastic spool part of different wires
*Issue with steel plate accidentally working as landfill. It can go right up to water, covering all the land tiles, and
when the plate is taken up, the base game adds a few squares of land back in. This is a Factorio bug, but I can have XM
avoid it

RESOURCES & MATERIALS
- Fix the mining hardness of ores downgraded from tough-solid to hard-solid (garnierite in particular)
- Look into moving the early mining productivity research to a more reasonable starting point...
- Go through and check that coke can be (re-)cycled with low enough mined material costs
Includes look at the advanced coking recipe - jodokus31 asked if it is too slow. Check time per carbon atom.
- Added missing unlock of hematite-washing recipe to iron-refining tech
- Doubled yield of proper limestone washing recipe. Stone is now a 2-unit rock.
*Examine Acheson graphite (powder) for ratios and catalytic action. I have a diagram of this somewhere...
*Also graphite block sounces & sinks (carbon-processing tech)
*The two solder recipes are for different machines, smelting vs. electric furnaces
- Fix the excessive chlorine output from HCl electrolysis (! XD)
*Okay, I realized ruber is required for trains. Whoops. Definitely do the piston-cylinder assembly thing to remove that -
trains should not need rubber, only internal combustion engines should (hoses etc.). I like the idea of having to
venture out for the first time to acquire nickel for chemical plants, and the sense of achievement from that :)

WASTE
*A LOT
- Recycling of burner version machines: drill, machine tool, assembler, reactor, sluice
- !! Patch waste situation
Waste water
Now slag too
- More detailed balance of simltaneously reaching waste creation and waste treatment processes

PARTS
- Change name of Internal Combustion Engine Unit to just Pistone Engine Unit
- Possible: piston-cylinder subassembly, for ingredient in: steam locomotive, (combustion) engine unit, and reciprocating pump
- Move coil-1-b to induction-2 tech, from motor-1 (phenolic resin not acquired by the time of motor-1)

CIRCUITS:
*Simplify all 3 current tiers (step down half a tier), add a tier 4
*New tiers: basic electromechanical, standard electronic (no Si), improved electronic (with Si), advanced electronic (Si II)
*One integrated "components" assembly, to represent all the relevant parts. Comes in tiers, higher tiers need more stuff.
*My idea with keeping the electromechanical tier is to represent *large* and simple things, like major switches,
that control the massive power flowing through a machine, instead of the very low power and immense complexity of
super-advanced data processing circuits
*The data parts removed in 1.3.1 should not be necessary anymore... do they cause problems with technologies?
- New tier 3 circuit
metallized-3: (I like gilded copper sheet better than gilded silver sheet)
etched-3: 4 metallized-3 + [HNO3 + HCl] -> 4 etched-3 (+ spent etchant ?)
components-3: ICs! MICROCHIPS! + capacitors + inductors
improved capacitor recipe, lower cost
circuit-3: X -> 1 Improved Electronic Circuit
- New tier 4 circuit
metallized-4:
etched-4: 4 metallized-4 + [HNO3 + HCl] -> 4 etched-4 (+ spent etchant)
components-4: VLSI! CPUs! + crystal resonators
circuit-3: X -> 1 Advanced Electronic Circuit
- Re-work silicon wafers: all start from simple clean wafer. more recipe steps for more advanced wafers, to match the
more [mask -> etch/deposit -> de-mask] cycles in real photolithography

MACHINES
- Upgraded electric furnaces (dedicated items & entities) using tier 2 components, including Cr-Mg refractory
*Early tooling-1 recipe: steel is or cutting and other hard stuff. Wood is forms for metal spinning. Stone brick is meant
as abrasive, like a grindstone.
- Replace alloy mechanism in gas discharge lamp recipe with circuit-1
- Fix place-pickup items for electric foundry forge

LOGISTICS
- Crude electric inserter (?)
- Loader situation: keep XM recipes for people who want to use only XM
- Test out a bit of integration with other mods: find a good, standalone loader mod to add as an optional dependency. That way I get its good loader behavior with my good recipes
- Fix the prerequisites for the fast inserter - it needs motor 1 and circuit 2, not motor 2
- Replace 2 control-1 in locomotive with 4 of mechanism-1
- Added proper steel-parts dependency for logistics-1

MISC
- Get rid of a lot of redundant tech prerequisites
- Remove all old migration files, as a test. Old unconverted worlds seem unlikely at this point, one might as well just start a new one anyway
- !!GITHUB!!

========== Version 1.4.0 TO BE Released ==========

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

*My idea with keeping the electromechanical tier is to represent *large* and simple things, like major switches,
that control the massive power flowing through a machine, instead of the very low power and immense complexity of
Ah, so basically a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactor? That makes sense for motorized devices like inserters, miners, etc.

I see that circuit-2 is now vacuum tube (valve) based, which is very cool. I do hope there will be a later transistorized variant recipe once you get to tweaking circuit-3/4.

In 1.3.0 there was a later recipe in Circuit Substrates II that allowed circuit-1 to be built from fiberglass boards, and hence oil. That appears to be gone in 1.3.1. I'd like to see it come back, because one of the things that annoys me in Bob's is the way circuit production is always dependent on wood. :)

Really liking the feel of the mod so far!
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Repofme1 wrote: - Loader situation: keep XM recipes for people who want to use only XM
- Test out a bit of integration with other mods: find a good, standalone loader mod to add as an optional dependency. That way I get its good loader behavior with my good recipes
I think "Loader Redux" is a good one
Repofme1 wrote: *The data parts removed in 1.3.1 should not be necessary anymore... do they cause problems with technologies?
When updating a map from 1.3.0, there are missing/unlocked recipes. I dont think its necessary to write a migration, but thats my opinion. alego22 posted this solution
alego22 wrote:After the update, some recipes were deleted and they could not be created, for example a resistor.
This command help for reload techtree for unlock recipes. but its Disable in game Achievements. That it resets the explored area (Thanks for test jodokus31)

Code: Select all

/c tech = {} for name,technology in pairs(game.player.force.technologies) do if technology.researched == true then table.insert( tech, technology.name ) end end game.player.force.reset() for _, tech_name in pairs(tech) do for name,technology in pairs(game.player.force.technologies) do if (technology.name == tech_name) then technology.researched = true end end end

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Therax wrote:
Ah, so basically a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactor? That makes sense for motorized devices like inserters, miners, etc.

I see that circuit-2 is now vacuum tube (valve) based, which is very cool. I do hope there will be a later transistorized variant recipe once you get to tweaking circuit-3/4.

In 1.3.0 there was a later recipe in Circuit Substrates II that allowed circuit-1 to be built from fiberglass boards, and hence oil. That appears to be gone in 1.3.1. I'd like to see it come back, because one of the things that annoys me in Bob's is the way circuit production is always dependent on wood. :)

Really liking the feel of the mod so far!
Yeah, a contactor would be a good example of this sort of thing. My intention is that the circuit 1 also represents a bunch of similar things, like a particular one could be a circuit breaker, could be a contactor, could be an electromechanical timer (still useful for basic functions), etc. The circuit 2 components will indeed have a later version using transistors, unlocked once semiconductor silicon is available, it's only logical :) ... Actually, I think the transistor version recipe is in, but it may not be unlocked, and it still makes the same name item, so I may look for a more general name for the component set 2.

In writing 1.3.1, I did intend for circuit-1 to lose the dependency on wood by replacing it with fiberglass. But I implemented it with a later recipe for the finished circuit-1 using board-2, which is made of fiberglass-phenolic. The idea is that one board-2 could represent a single moderate complexity etched pattern board, or two very simple patterns on the same physical piece, which would then be split in half. That's why only 1 board-2 is needed per 2 circuit-1. Although I had it need only the metallized-2, which doesn't make sense, so I'll change that to etched-2 for the next update.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Repofme1 wrote: - Loader situation: keep XM recipes for people who want to use only XM
I think "Loader Redux" is a good one
Repofme1 wrote: *The data parts removed in 1.3.1 should not be necessary anymore... do they cause problems with technologies?
When updating a map from 1.3.0, there are missing/unlocked recipes. I dont think its necessary to write a migration, but thats my opinion. alego22 posted this solution
alego22 wrote:After the update, some recipes were deleted and they could not be created, for example a resistor.
This command help for reload techtree for unlock recipes. but its Disable in game Achievements. That it resets the explored area (Thanks for test jodokus31)

Code: Select all

/c tech = {} for name,technology in pairs(game.player.force.technologies) do if technology.researched == true then table.insert( tech, technology.name ) end end game.player.force.reset() for _, tech_name in pairs(tech) do for name,technology in pairs(game.player.force.technologies) do if (technology.name == tech_name) then technology.researched = true end end end
Loader Redux is the one I've also seen, and tentatively planned on using.

I guess I won't write a migration or anything about the removed recipes, largely because I still don't really understand the problem. I did actually mean for the removed recipes to go away, are they still showing up?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Repofme1 wrote: I guess I won't write a migration or anything about the removed recipes, largely because I still don't really understand the problem. I did actually mean for the removed recipes to go away, are they still showing up?
No, i think, everything would be fine, if you start a new map
The problem occurs, that some recipes are hidden like "basic wiring board" (metallized-1) or "relay components set"(components-1-a), although the tech is already unlocked.
Usually, i would have used the mod "recipe-why-are-you-hidden" to find and unlock them, but it crashes hard, if used with xander.

If you want to take a deeper look, I can upload my pre-1.3.1 save. But I dont want to distract you, since a workaround exists :)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

alego22 wrote:I create hotfix for xander mod (Its mod, Put it in the mods folder):

1. Fixed Recipe Hydrochloric Acid Electrolysis
2. Fixed hardeness of ores: heavy-sand, garnierite, sulfidic-ore (Now you can extract this ore)
3. Fixed Electric Foundy Forge (Now you get Electric Foundy Forge after you remove Electric Foundy Forge)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xE9RWe ... sp=sharing
I checked 2 and 3. Both worked. Now, I have nickel, standard chem plant and rubber :) Thanks.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Repofme1 wrote: I guess I won't write a migration or anything about the removed recipes, largely because I still don't really understand the problem. I did actually mean for the removed recipes to go away, are they still showing up?
No, i think, everything would be fine, if you start a new map
The problem occurs, that some recipes are hidden like "basic wiring board" (metallized-1) or "relay components set"(components-1-a), although the tech is already unlocked.
Usually, i would have used the mod "recipe-why-are-you-hidden" to find and unlock them, but it crashes hard, if used with xander.

If you want to take a deeper look, I can upload my pre-1.3.1 save. But I dont want to distract you, since a workaround exists :)
OH! I get what's happening, the new simpler recipes aren't showing up, for the same reasons we've run into before. Yeah, I know how to fix it now, I'll put it on the list for the next update.

Gragorath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gragorath »

Hi.

I've spent a lot of hours on this really cool mod, and I've gradually fixed (or unborked) most of the issues I've run into on the way.
I get the feeling you want to finish the 1.4.0 release before getting the project on GitHub so I thought I'd post the issues and the fixes I've done. Hopefully it can save you some trouble =)

Changes:
Created migration files for 1.3.0 -> 1.3.1; should hopefully take care of all changes to recipes and technologies in 1.3.1
Fixed all instances of "unknown name" for items
Fixed some typos
Hotfixed some naming issues with 2 technologies (locale entries didn't apply; standard incrementation on first technology)
Changed mining time on trains to normal (not sure if you intended this; i found it frustrating that the only way to remove a train was to destroy it)
Fixed an issue with some of the furnaces returning wrong items when mined
Fixed polution reduction on standard electric mining drill (didn't get a reduction in 1.3.1)
Changed mining hardness on the 3 changed ore types
Removed one fluid ingredient on several recipes since their production buildings doesn't allow that many fluid ingredients. This probably breaks immersion/realism to some degree. (Synthetic Drugs, Copper Electrowinning with Cobalt Oxide, Scheelite Dissolution, Pure Titanium Dioxide via Titanium Tetrachloride Hydrolysis, Vanadium Slagging from Crude Oil, 3 types of Uranium Hexafluoride Hydrolysis)
Enabled steel-plate-c recipe (forging-steel -> 4 steel-plate)
Enabled hematite-washing recipe (iron-ore -> hematite)
Fixed Hydrogen Chloride Electrolysis recipe
Fixed Efficient Solar panel Equipment Technology
Made railgun ammo scale on cannon shell upgrades

I've included a reading-optimized diff file and a zip patch. Hopefully you can use some of it.
Thanks for an awesome mod =D
Attachments
xander-mod_1.3.1-patch.zip
Diff file. Remove txt-extension for syntax highlighting in any decent editor.
(44.88 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
1-3-0_1-3-1.diff.txt
Zip-file with minor changes to 20 files
(13.16 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Xander Mod v1.3.0

Post by Airat9000 »

Repofme1 wrote:
Airat9000 wrote:Hello questions.. wtah in Heavy Mineral Sands? Where to use it?
2017-10-05_2-42-36.png
4 components:
chromite = FeCr2O4 -> for chromium
rutile = TiO2 -> for titanium
zirconia = ZrO2 -> for zirconium
sand = SiO2 -> waste from extracting chromite, rutile, or zirconia

You can only get 1 component at a time from heavy sand, for example: 10 heavy sand -> 10 chromite (makes 20 chromium), OR 10 heavy sand -> 10 rutile (makes 10 titanium), OR 10 heavy sand -> 2 zirconia (makes 2 zirconium). The electric mineral processor (tier 1), or integrated mineral plant (tier 2), does these recipes.
Hello please example screen not search in recipes and technology(

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Gragorath wrote:Hi.

I've spent a lot of hours on this really cool mod, and I've gradually fixed (or unborked) most of the issues I've run into on the way.
I get the feeling you want to finish the 1.4.0 release before getting the project on GitHub so I thought I'd post the issues and the fixes I've done. Hopefully it can save you some trouble =)

Changes:
Created migration files for 1.3.0 -> 1.3.1; should hopefully take care of all changes to recipes and technologies in 1.3.1
Fixed all instances of "unknown name" for items
Fixed some typos
Hotfixed some naming issues with 2 technologies (locale entries didn't apply; standard incrementation on first technology)
Changed mining time on trains to normal (not sure if you intended this; i found it frustrating that the only way to remove a train was to destroy it)
Fixed an issue with some of the furnaces returning wrong items when mined
Fixed polution reduction on standard electric mining drill (didn't get a reduction in 1.3.1)
Changed mining hardness on the 3 changed ore types
Removed one fluid ingredient on several recipes since their production buildings doesn't allow that many fluid ingredients. This probably breaks immersion/realism to some degree. (Synthetic Drugs, Copper Electrowinning with Cobalt Oxide, Scheelite Dissolution, Pure Titanium Dioxide via Titanium Tetrachloride Hydrolysis, Vanadium Slagging from Crude Oil, 3 types of Uranium Hexafluoride Hydrolysis)
Enabled steel-plate-c recipe (forging-steel -> 4 steel-plate)
Enabled hematite-washing recipe (iron-ore -> hematite)
Fixed Hydrogen Chloride Electrolysis recipe
Fixed Efficient Solar panel Equipment Technology
Made railgun ammo scale on cannon shell upgrades

I've included a reading-optimized diff file and a zip patch. Hopefully you can use some of it.
Thanks for an awesome mod =D
Wow, that's a lot of fixes! I have another project going today, but I really want to put most of these in. Some of the issues were things I wanted to do but didn't fully think out, like the locomotive mining times. I kind of didn't want it to be *that* easy to just pop up a whole locomotive and put it in your pocket, so to encourage driving them between places, but looking back on it, 1000 seconds is excessive :shock: . You have to place them down from your inventory anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge benefit. I'll probably end up making that time like 30 s or something. Also, I think some of the 3-fluid-ingredient recipes are in the category for the XM Integrated Chemical Plant, which should actually have three fluid inputs (I just duct taped one on to the oil refinery graphic). The idea is that several chemical intermediates are made and consumed inside the chemical plant, so I don't have to add many more distinct fluids, and to simplify the machine setup. Otherwise it looks pretty good, thank you so much for all that work! And I'm glad you like the mod, when I was making it I didn't expect it to get so popular!

My plan with updates was actually to set up GitHub before I do *any* actual code updating, so that everyone (including myself) has the same version of the mod. If I start implementing fixes then my development version will be different, and I'll just have to re-add everything to GitHub anyway. This also keeps me from getting distracted with code, so I don't keep putting off the GitHub migration like I did after the 1.3.0 update.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Airat9000 wrote:
Repofme1 wrote:
2017-10-05_2-42-36.png
4 components:

You can only get 1 component at a time from heavy sand, for example: 10 heavy sand -> 10 chromite (makes 20 chromium), OR 10 heavy sand -> 10 rutile (makes 10 titanium), OR 10 heavy sand -> 2 zirconia (makes 2 zirconium). The electric mineral processor (tier 1), or integrated mineral plant (tier 2), does these recipes.
I may have forgotten to unlock the correct washing recipes anywhere... :oops: I quickly looked through my game and I couldn't find them either. This is now on my list of things to fix.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Xander Mod now on GitHub!

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all -

Good news! Thanks to some much-appreciated help from ironchefpython, Xander Mod is now on GitHub! Currently just an initial commit and pull request for the changes Gragorath suggested, both added by ironchefpython, but I'll give it some proper attention soon. My weekend was very occupied with cutting the bricks for a small electric resistance furnace that I'm building.

ironchefpython
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ironchefpython »

Repofme1 wrote: kind of didn't want it to be *that* easy to just pop up a whole locomotive and put it in your pocket, so to encourage driving them between places, but looking back on it, 1000 seconds is excessive :shock: . You have to place them down from your inventory anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge benefit. I'll probably end up making that time like 30 s or something. .
While I completely understand the motivation (I like the immersion of having to deal with real world constraints) I completely disagree with the implementation. Every mechanic should make the game more fun, and punishing the player with not being able to play the game for 30 seconds because they mis-clicked isn't fun.

People make mistakes and change their mind, but don't be punitive. Perhaps you can make it so mining a locomotive damages it, or even disassembles it, to be a little cruel, without boring the player

ironchefpython
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Xander Mod now on GitHub!

Post by ironchefpython »

Repofme1 wrote:Xander Mod is now on GitHub!
https://github.com/Factorio-Xander-Mod/Xander-Mod to be specific.

Gragorath's changes have been merged, you can download an update from https://github.com/Factorio-Xander-Mod/ ... master.zip

Please feel free to open issues for defects.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Repofme1 wrote:
Airat9000 wrote:
Repofme1 wrote:
2017-10-05_2-42-36.png
4 components:

I may have forgotten to unlock the correct washing recipes anywhere... :oops: I quickly looked through my game and I couldn't find them either. This is now on my list of things to fix.
new version bug fixed?

Return to “Mods”