[MOD 0.15.15+] FNEI Mod

Topics and discussion about specific mods
BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.15+] Factorio NEI 0.0.13

Post by BlackHat »

Saw a YouTuber using this mod in a series (Part of a Large Mod Pack he was doing a series on)

I have always used "What is it really used for" mod.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the two mods? Does this one offer better info, or improved layout?

Or are they basically the same?

(Sorry, I am a creature of habit, resistant to change, I generally need a big push to get me to move)

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Read the long description and look at the screenshots in the first post? Try it and see?

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

Zavian wrote:Read the long description and look at the screenshots in the first post? Try it and see?
The long description:
This mod will help you find all the recipes to create the selected item.
Also you can see the use of the selected item.

The screenshots:
Only 1 really shows anything.
Zavian wrote:Try it and see?
As I said: (Sorry, I am a creature of habit, resistant to change, I generally need a big push to get me to move)

It looks like its geared to players using mods with many alternate recipes (Bobs, Angels, etc.) Since I dont use those. I cant see a reason to change.

Thanks for your input.

Saiph
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.15+] Factorio NEI 0.0.16

Post by Saiph »

I find FNEI really useful, it saves me doing a lot of alt-tabbing in and out of the game to look at the wiki for recipe details. Thanks for developing it!

However, I have a suggestion. At the moment there is no quick way to get back to the search page apart from closing FNEI and reopening it, which seems a little awkward. Would it be possible to add a simple mouse function to jump straight back to the search page? For example, the 'back' button could be changed so that a left-click takes you back one step (as now), but a right-click jumps to the search page. Alternatively, you could add another button to do the same thing.

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

Saiph wrote:I find FNEI really useful, it saves me doing a lot of alt-tabbing in and out of the game to look at the wiki for recipe details. Thanks for developing it!

However, I have a suggestion. At the moment there is no quick way to get back to the search page apart from closing FNEI and reopening it, which seems a little awkward. Would it be possible to add a simple mouse function to jump straight back to the search page? For example, the 'back' button could be changed so that a left-click takes you back one step (as now), but a right-click jumps to the search page. Alternatively, you could add another button to do the same thing.
Thanks for your feedback. This is a good idea.
I'll figure out how to do it.

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Hey,

I get an exception if I have the option ''Show hidden items' enabled.

Change search text after enabling the option:

Code: Select all

3850.842 Error MainLoop.cpp:1013: Exception at tick 23258082: Error while running event FNEI::on_gui_text_changed (ID 2)
Unknown style red_slot_button_style
stack traceback:
	__FNEI__/controls/main_gui.lua:43: in function 'set_main_gui'
	__FNEI__/controls/gui.lua:103: in function 'open_main_gui'
	__FNEI__/controls/main_control.lua:109: in function 'open_gui'
	__FNEI__/controls/main_control.lua:86: in function 'search_text_cheged'
	__FNEI__/control.lua:158: in function <__FNEI__/control.lua:153>
Re-open after enabling the option:

79.274 Error MainLoop.cpp:1013: Exception at tick 393: Error while running event FNEI::pressed-fnei-gui-key (ID 96)
stack traceback:
	__FNEI__/controls/main_control.lua:79: in function 'main_key'
	__FNEI__/control.lua:180: in function 'main_key'
	__FNEI__/control.lua:47: in function <__FNEI__/control.lua:45>

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

AmatorPhasma wrote:Hey,

I get an exception if I have the option ''Show hidden items' enabled.

Change search text after enabling the option:

3850.842 Error MainLoop.cpp:1013: Exception at tick 23258082: Error while running event FNEI::on_gui_text_changed (ID 2)
stack traceback:
	__FNEI__/controls/main_control.lua:86: in function 'search_text_cheged'
	__FNEI__/control.lua:158: in function <__FNEI__/control.lua:153>
Re-open after enabling the option:

79.274 Error MainLoop.cpp:1013: Exception at tick 393: Error while running event FNEI::pressed-fnei-gui-key (ID 96)
stack traceback:
	__FNEI__/controls/main_control.lua:79: in function 'main_key'
	__FNEI__/control.lua:180: in function 'main_key'
	__FNEI__/control.lua:47: in function <__FNEI__/control.lua:45>
fixed in 0.0.17 version

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

_npo6ka_ wrote:fixed in 0.0.17 version
Thank you! :mrgreen:

nOObe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nOObe »

_npo6ka_ wrote:
nOObe wrote:
Zavian wrote:Another feature request: Add an option (probably enabled by default) to hide barrelling/unbarrelling recipes. Yes in game terms they create/use the appropriate fluid, but when you are looking for how to create this/what is this used for, they are mainly unnecessary clutter.
seconded.

And how about a view of what can be made in this machine?

also, and i don't know how possible this is, but in playing sea block, there are machines that have no purpose. it would be great if these could be suppressed.

I should probably suggest this in sea block thread.
This feature is already in the game settings :?
which feature?
1)Add an option (probably enabled by default) to hide barrelling/unbarrelling recipes.
2)"a view of what can be made in this machine?"
3)"here are machines that have no purpose. it would be great if these could be suppressed. "

and, if a feature is in our mod, could you give a tip on how to access it?

4th request. the ability to remove a mod for showing it recipes in your mod?

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

At the moment I'm developing a completely redesigned mod v0.1.0. In it there will be an opportunity to turn off the crafting category. This allows you to completely solve your problem described in paragraph 1.
nOObe wrote:1)Add an option (probably enabled by default) to hide barrelling/unbarrelling recipes.
Now you can go to the settings of the mod and next to the label "Show recipes in the following buildings" you can turn off certain buildings, recipes in which you do not want to see.
nOObe wrote:2)"a view of what can be made in this machine?"
This is a good suggestion, I'll think about how it can be implemented.
nOObe wrote:3)"here are machines that have no purpose. it would be great if these could be suppressed. "
I did not understand what the phrase means "could be suppressed"
nOObe wrote:and, if a feature is in our mod, could you give a tip on how to access it?
I do not think that this is a good idea. It's better to copy this function to yourself in the mod and specify a comment from where you took it. If all the same you need to use something from someone else's mod, you'd better ask about this in this section viewforum.php?f=25
nOObe wrote:4th request. the ability to remove a mod for showing it recipes in your mod?
Unfortunately, through the games api it is not possible to know which fashion belongs to the item or entity, so this can not be realized. I'll assume that turning off the crafting category will turn off the recipes you do not need.

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.15+] FNEI 0.0.17

Post by _npo6ka_ »

A little new version 0.1.0

Zymurge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zymurge »

First things first, love this mod. It helps SOOO much in discovery.

My feature request is super simple in concept, but might be tricky in implementation due to how Factorio limits UI interaction. When I bring up NEI almost always my first action is to type in the name of some item that I want to track. However, when the window is initiated, the focus is not on the entry box.

I'd love to have this as the default behavior. If this is not doable, could a hot key be added to bring focus to entry so that I can invoke NEI and type in my search without needing to touch the mouse?

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

Zymurge wrote:First things first, love this mod. It helps SOOO much in discovery.

My feature request is super simple in concept, but might be tricky in implementation due to how Factorio limits UI interaction. When I bring up NEI almost always my first action is to type in the name of some item that I want to track. However, when the window is initiated, the focus is not on the entry box.

I'd love to have this as the default behavior. If this is not doable, could a hot key be added to bring focus to entry so that I can invoke NEI and type in my search without needing to touch the mouse?
Thanks for your feedback.
I'll add this function to the mod settings in version 0.1.0.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I guess I'm against things adding unnecessary options. What would break if the input focus was always moved to the text box any time FNEI was opened? Is there any reason this needs to be an option, and not just standard behaviour.

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

Zavian wrote:I guess I'm against things adding unnecessary options. What would break if the input focus was always moved to the text box any time FNEI was opened? Is there any reason this needs to be an option, and not just standard behaviour.
This will be an optional feature. By default this will be disabled.

Nukeist
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nukeist »

Hello, really enjoying your mod. I posted a Bug on the mods.factorio.com page before seeing the forum link and don't know how to delete it. I know you don't get notifications there so I'll just leave this here :)

"
I've been explaining this for days so hopefully I've gotten better at it.

When using Sea Block (an extreme challenge mod pack), there is a recipe conflict between Angel's and Bob's. There is a wooden board in Bob's intermediates that shows properly in FNEI (requires Angel's cellulose fiber and alginic acid) other than it requiring assemblers. In angel's bio tab there is a cellulose fiber board that shows with no recipes to make nor consume it in FNEI (other than recycling if those mods are in place). The problem comes in here. Either Sea Block or Angel's prevents Bob's wooden board from being handcraftable. It also makes Angel's cellulose fiber board (totally different icon from Bob's wooden board) turn into Bob's wooden board on craft, not the cellulose fiber board. I'm speaking with Bob and I've mentioned this on the Angel's forum but I thought you might have a clever solution. The only solution I see from a user experience standpoint is to change the icon of Angel's cellulose fiber board to that of Bob's wooden board but that would not help if the user went to FNEI and saw that Angel's cellulose fiber board has no recipes to create nor consume it. Any ideas?
"

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

Nukeist wrote:Hello, really enjoying your mod. I posted a Bug on the mods.factorio.com page before seeing the forum link and don't know how to delete it. I know you don't get notifications there so I'll just leave this here :)

"
I've been explaining this for days so hopefully I've gotten better at it.

When using Sea Block (an extreme challenge mod pack), there is a recipe conflict between Angel's and Bob's. There is a wooden board in Bob's intermediates that shows properly in FNEI (requires Angel's cellulose fiber and alginic acid) other than it requiring assemblers. In angel's bio tab there is a cellulose fiber board that shows with no recipes to make nor consume it in FNEI (other than recycling if those mods are in place). The problem comes in here. Either Sea Block or Angel's prevents Bob's wooden board from being handcraftable. It also makes Angel's cellulose fiber board (totally different icon from Bob's wooden board) turn into Bob's wooden board on craft, not the cellulose fiber board. I'm speaking with Bob and I've mentioned this on the Angel's forum but I thought you might have a clever solution. The only solution I see from a user experience standpoint is to change the icon of Angel's cellulose fiber board to that of Bob's wooden board but that would not help if the user went to FNEI and saw that Angel's cellulose fiber board has no recipes to create nor consume it. Any ideas?
"
(I duplicate my answer here)
Thanks for your feedback.

This problem has been discussed for a long time on the form. It is strange that bob and angel have not yet solved this problem.

As for the display in my mod, it would be strange to make any exceptions to certain mods. I try to support the principle of independent for my mod from others mods, but I try to find ways to solve such problems. I'll think about it, but I think that the problem should be solved by the creators of mods, and in extreme cases, the creators of modpack.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

I am curious, why showing tech tree allows me to "earn achievements in a dishonest way"?
_npo6ka_ wrote:This problem has been discussed for a long time on the form. It is strange that bob and angel have not yet solved this problem.

As for the display in my mod, it would be strange to make any exceptions to certain mods. I try to support the principle of independent for my mod from others mods, but I try to find ways to solve such problems. I'll think about it, but I think that the problem should be solved by the creators of mods, and in extreme cases, the creators of modpack.
There is no good reason waste time on hiding bugs of other mods. Especially as this problem is not really severe.

If there is a problem here it should be solved by SeaBlock/Bob/Angels (is it already reported at a proper place?).

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

fiery_salmon wrote:I am curious, why showing tech tree allows me to "earn achievements in a dishonest way"?
Unfortunately, factorio developers have not added the opportunity to open a technology tree on the corresponding technology (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=49599). Therefore, in order to open the chosen technology, you can open a large number of previous technologies, open the necessary technology and after returning the state of all technologies back. Such a procedure is time-consuming for factorio, and some mods can also react negatively to it. But the main reason why I hid it in the admin tincture is unfair achievements, which the player can get for studying. For example, studying a train. Unfortunately, factorio developers can not add functionality to disable achievements, which makes me sad (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54158).

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

_npo6ka_ wrote:
fiery_salmon wrote:But the main reason why I hid it in the admin tincture is unfair achievements, which the player can get for studying. For example, studying a train
Wait, FNEI is not allowing you to research technologies for free - only to show it, right?

Return to “Mods”