[MOD 1.1] Xander Mod v3.6.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Xander Mod v1.3.2 - Now on GitHub

Post by Repofme1 »

Therax wrote:
Unfortunately, the Integrated Chemical Plant is the direct upgrade to the Fractional Distillation Column too and as such needs to be able to handle the oil recipes.
At least to me, fractional distillation feels qualitatively different from the other chemical processes. There isn't much in the way of reactions going on or the same sort of tightly controlled pressure/temperature. I'd personally be okay with the Integrated Chem Plant not being able to handle the Distillation Column's recipes, and having fractional distillation performed in a "one off" facility.
There's actually some degree of overlap, as far as I understand it. Some of the advanced chemical plant reactions produce a complicated reaction mixture that would have to be fractionally distilled (to actually separate all those output fluids! :D), so it needs to include the distillation. This also enables it to act as the higher-speed upgrade of the simple distillation column, so I don't have to add another entity there. One of my preferences for XM is to add different, integrated, interesting machines to fulfill the goal of speed upgrades, instead of just long lists of "machine x 1, 2, 3, 4, ...".

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Therax wrote:I'm currently working on porting to 0.16, and doing a lot of code cleanup along the way.

In related news, I requested got a new feature added to Factorio core that will solve the burner-inserter / chemical-burner-inserter dichotomy: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54971!
I have a version that runs on 0.16. I'll be able to send a pull request later today.

I should also say that XM inspired me to make a mod of my own that introduces 1x1 loaders that work on trains without hurting performance. It'd be great to get it integrated into XM. viewtopic.php?f=93&t=54343
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Current Directions

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi again -

Alright, I've looked through the recent forum posts, but not the GitHub issues and requests. I also did a bunch of individual fixes on my local copy today, with a handful of fixes that one of my friends suggested from playing the mod. I have had very little time for actually playing the game, which unfortunately leaves a lot of simple bugs undetected until you all get a hold of my latest work :) Anyway, at this point it looks like these are my main focus points, in rough order of priority:
  • - Finish the current update to XM 1.4.0. The remaining work is mainly in actually using the new varieties of waste water in the recipes (certain)
    - Update XM to Factorio 0.16, with help from GitHub requests (certain)
    - Graphics for the Integrated Chemical Plant and Ore Plant, with all of your help! It would be quite difficult for me to do that with only my skills. (medium priority)
    - Address compatibility between XM and other mods (low priority)
I still have to look at what GitHub says, the issues there may very well be more diverse. Although I did notice another issue that someone mentioned, about blue science having broken recursive bootstrapping due to the production science pack for aluminum refining. That one has been fixed today, and will be in the 1.4.0 update.
Last edited by Repofme1 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Therax wrote:
Therax wrote:I'm currently working on porting to 0.16, and doing a lot of code cleanup along the way.

In related news, I requested got a new feature added to Factorio core that will solve the burner-inserter / chemical-burner-inserter dichotomy: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54971!
I have a version that runs on 0.16. I'll be able to send a pull request later today.

I should also say that XM inspired me to make a mod of my own that introduces 1x1 loaders that work on trains without hurting performance. It'd be great to get it integrated into XM. viewtopic.php?f=93&t=54343
Thanks for looking at the port, I really haven't had time :( I'm also very curious about the loader for train cars that doesn't kill performance, I really like that idea and how it corresponds to real loading of bulk materials in rail hopper cars. I'll definitely look into incorporating that, or maybe listing it as a strongly recommended companion.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

[quote=Repofme1]I'm also very curious about the loader for train cars that doesn't kill performance, I really like that idea and how it corresponds to real loading of bulk materials in rail hopper cars. I'll definitely look into incorporating that, or maybe listing it as a strongly recommended companion.[/quote]
My thought was to list it as a recommended companion mod, with recipe overrides in XM proper.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Therax wrote:
Repofme1 wrote:I'm also very curious about the loader for train cars that doesn't kill performance, I really like that idea and how it corresponds to real loading of bulk materials in rail hopper cars. I'll definitely look into incorporating that, or maybe listing it as a strongly recommended companion.
My thought was to list it as a recommended companion mod, with recipe overrides in XM proper.
That makes sense, and fits with the method we previously identified for loaders, so I think I'll do it that way. After I get a bunch of this other stuff out of the way of course :)

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Current Directions

Post by Airat9000 »

Repofme1 wrote:Hi again -

Alright, I've looked through the recent forum posts, but not the GitHub issues and requests. I also did a bunch of individual fixes on my local copy today, with a handful of fixes that one of my friends suggested from playing the mod. I have had very little time for actually playing the game, which unfortunately leaves a lot of simple bugs undetected until you all get a hold of my latest work :) Anyway, at this point it looks like these are my main focus points, in rough order of priority:
  • - Finish the current update to XM 1.4.0. The remaining work is mainly in actually using the new varieties of waste water in the recipes (certain)
    - Update XM to Factorio 0.16, with help from GitHub requests (certain)
    - Graphics for the Integrated Chemical Plant and Ore Plant, with all of your help! It would be quite difficult for me to do that with only my skills. (medium priority)
    - Address compatibility between XM and other mods (low priority)
I still have to look at what GitHub says, the issues there may very well be more diverse. Although I did notice another issue that someone mentioned, about blue science having broken recursive bootstrapping due to the production science pack for aluminum refining. That one has been fixed today, and will be in the 1.4.0 update.
angels and bob compartible in planes?

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Airat9000 wrote: angels and bob compartible in planes?
Oh god Airat9000 don't ask him about bob's and angel's i think it seriously hard question
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

aklesey1 wrote:
Oh god Airat9000 don't ask him about bob's and angel's i think it seriously hard question
Which has been asked and answered at least few times.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

orzelek wrote:
aklesey1 wrote:

but I would like to know what has changed)

misacza
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by misacza »

Hello!

I love your mod!
I'm just a bit affraid i've found a dead end to progress (2 in fact)....

1) "Metallized Fiberglass-Phenolic Boards" require (at least) "assembling machine 2" to be created, but "assembling machine 2" requires you to have 4 "Metallized Fiberglass-Phenolic Boards" (from which you'll actually have 2 "assembling machine 2" but you can't get 1 from only 2, and besides that'S not the point)
Note: either adding "Assembling Machine II" to starting kit (option i'm not really a fan of honestly), or letting "assembling machine I"/adding an expensive crude recipe will solve the problem.

2) "Internal Combustion Engine Unit" require (at least) "assembling machine 3" to be created, but "assembling machine 3" requires you to do research requiring "blue-science packs" that need "Internal Combustion Engine Unit" to be created.
Note: i haven't tried it yet, but i do believe that once you have the needed research, you can progress as "Assembling machine 3" does not need "Internal Combustion Engine Unit" for their creation, so either taking the "Blue-science packs" required for "Cobalt Refining", "Tungsten Carbide Cermet", "electric motor II" and "Automated Assembly 3" and "Fluid Pumping II" away or just letting "Assembler II" do the job will solve the problem.

Hope this will help you fix said dead ends (and that you're still active).
I can easily see your mod being even better, deeper and more complex than bobs mods (and i don'T think i'Ve ever said / even thought that of any other mod/modpack)

Since i've found the courage to write this post i might as well include suggestions in it....
please, perhaps add an option for infinite ore patches / oil-mechanics for ore patches, as currect mods that do that don't recognize your ores....
also, if you could, instead of "deciding" what ore was mined from what patch, please add different patches. I know it will mean lots of logistic problems with moving new ores & perhals some "searching" for special ores, but to me that'S part of the fun (maybe make that optional?) i would really love having three different treatment factories - one for mined hematite, one for mined magnetite and one for mined pyrite ^^ (maybe add something alike "Flare stacks mod" to dispose of unvanted byproducts? i mean.... i can use CO2 with Carbon to create CO for refining iron.... but as far as the excess CO2 goes... i don'T need to be keeping that.... (also non-return & overflow valves are great idea to keep some levels of the CO2 in storage) maybe add "Cave" patch that would be creating fuid called "empty space" or something like that & that would be used in recipes for getting rid of items (and would be uncannable))
i suppose this would also require you to make more categories (one for ore treating, one for ore refining, one for "general chemistry") and maybe also require you to add text with hints on how to make what with what to make the learning curve a bit less spiky.... (on the other hand... cool as ideas.... lots and lots of work in reality)

Thank you ^^
- Misacza

NOTE: in you're a player & are reading this hoping to find a SOLUTION, i've walked around these by downloading "Black Market (sell and buy on the market)" mod by BinbinHfr, sold some materials (so i had money) & bought 4 instances of "Metallized Fiberglass-Phenolic Boards" and one instance of "assembling machine 3" which deffinitely solves the 1st problem, and hopefully will solve the 2nd too.
maybe it's just me loving hard-core marathon, overly-complicated games, but the blackmarket mod seems a bit OP tho, as machine prices are quite low, especially those you have no research for. So while it'S great tool to overcome flaws/bugs/dead ends, unless you're playing with /really tough/ biter evolution settings, you'll outrun them in arms race /very/ easily by just selling low-tier items and buying best-tier gear.... so untill/unless the author both increases the overall prices of completed machines /and/ adds mechanics that increase the prices of things you do not have research for /even more/ (and more and more, the more research you lack) i highly reccomend turning it off afterwards (on the other hand i am using mods to make the ore piles virtually unlimited so it'Seasy for me to advocate semi-insane requirements)
also the interface is a bit messy and frustrating but to me that are most of interfaces in factorio (the continue off screen so i can'T see the data) so there the problem might be in myself actually

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

2017-12-22_2-40-26.png
2017-12-22_2-40-26.png (21.05 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
2017-12-22_2-43-34.png
2017-12-22_2-43-34.png (20.24 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
2017-12-22_2-51-09.png
2017-12-22_2-51-09.png (31.34 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
2017-12-22_2-53-07.png
2017-12-22_2-53-07.png (46.65 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

delete lines

new bugs
2017-12-22_2-57-57.png
2017-12-22_2-57-57.png (33.94 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Version 1.4.0 Out

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all -

Just posting to say version 1.4.0 is updated on the mod portal and GitHub. This checks off the first point I mentioned, so I can move on to bringing in Factorio 0.16 compatibility. I had time to check out this update, and it looks really cool! I especially love the artillery, and it's actually one of the main reasons that I even started to mod Factorio. I had a late-game world where expansion was becoming very difficult, and I really needed an artillery piece, but none of the existing ones were quite right, so I made my own. It's actually still in the mod, in improved form, but now that the base game does something better I think I'll be removing it. The dedicated XM entities, that is, still applying the XM parts and concepts to the base artillery. I also love the cliffs, both how they look and how they could work. They're not perfect, as with any first-time feature, but they have a lot of potential.

Anyway, the main features of the new XM version are:
  • - Much more detailed waste processing, although some bugs with "making waste before unlocking waste treatment" might remain
    - Various fixes to graphite production
    - Progression fixes, with removal of purple science in aluminum refining, and adding fluid pipes to assembling machine 1 (so it can make metallized board 2)
As for next steps, my first priority is compatibility with Factorio 0.16, mainly via the GitHub pull request I see from mspielberg. It looks pretty hefty so I don't know how long it'll take. After that I aim to look at feature work, like improvements and fixes, but we'll see how far it gets.

Since it's that time of the year again, happy Solstice! Or whichever other holidays you may celebrate :)

EDIT: Full changelog for XM 1.4.0, since it didn't fit on the main post
New in 1-4-0.txt
Changelog 1.3.2 -> 1.4.0
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Last edited by Repofme1 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Airat9000 wrote:delete lines

new bugs
2017-12-22_2-57-57.png
This problem, and most of the problems you posted just before, come from particular data functions in the base game (get_circuit_connector_sprites and conditional_return), which I do not understand. Are you perhaps using Factorio 0.16 (the new version) instead of 0.15? XM 1.4.0 is still only compatible with Factorio 0.15 unfortunately.

The problem with the Kovarex Enrichment Process happened before, I remember it was because SigmaOne's Nuclear completely removed that recipe from the game's list. Then XM tries to change the recipe to my own version, and cannot find the recipe to change. I don't know if that is the same problem now.

Airat9000 wrote:
orzelek wrote:
aklesey1 wrote:
but I would like to know what has changed)
I believe nothing has changed about possible Bob's/Angel's compatibility, and probably nothing will change for many months. It is a difficult question, but in short: I do not really plan on making Xander Mod work well with Bob's or Angel's mods. For more details please see the earlier posts about the topic, in this thread.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

yes 16.6 version bug.

15 old

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

misacza wrote:Hello!

I love your mod!
I'm just a bit affraid i've found a dead end to progress (2 in fact)....

1) "Metallized Fiberglass-Phenolic Boards" require (at least) "assembling machine 2" to be created, but "assembling machine 2" requires you to have 4 "Metallized Fiberglass-Phenolic Boards" (from which you'll actually have 2 "assembling machine 2" but you can't get 1 from only 2, and besides that'S not the point)
Note: either adding "Assembling Machine II" to starting kit (option i'm not really a fan of honestly), or letting "assembling machine I"/adding an expensive crude recipe will solve the problem.

2) "Internal Combustion Engine Unit" require (at least) "assembling machine 3" to be created, but "assembling machine 3" requires you to do research requiring "blue-science packs" that need "Internal Combustion Engine Unit" to be created.
Note: i haven't tried it yet, but i do believe that once you have the needed research, you can progress as "Assembling machine 3" does not need "Internal Combustion Engine Unit" for their creation, so either taking the "Blue-science packs" required for "Cobalt Refining", "Tungsten Carbide Cermet", "electric motor II" and "Automated Assembly 3" and "Fluid Pumping II" away or just letting "Assembler II" do the job will solve the problem.

Hope this will help you fix said dead ends (and that you're still active).
I can easily see your mod being even better, deeper and more complex than bobs mods (and i don'T think i'Ve ever said / even thought that of any other mod/modpack)

Since i've found the courage to write this post i might as well include suggestions in it....
please, perhaps add an option for infinite ore patches / oil-mechanics for ore patches, as currect mods that do that don't recognize your ores....
also, if you could, instead of "deciding" what ore was mined from what patch, please add different patches. I know it will mean lots of logistic problems with moving new ores & perhals some "searching" for special ores, but to me that'S part of the fun (maybe make that optional?) i would really love having three different treatment factories - one for mined hematite, one for mined magnetite and one for mined pyrite ^^ (maybe add something alike "Flare stacks mod" to dispose of unvanted byproducts? i mean.... i can use CO2 with Carbon to create CO for refining iron.... but as far as the excess CO2 goes... i don'T need to be keeping that.... (also non-return & overflow valves are great idea to keep some levels of the CO2 in storage) maybe add "Cave" patch that would be creating fuid called "empty space" or something like that & that would be used in recipes for getting rid of items (and would be uncannable))
i suppose this would also require you to make more categories (one for ore treating, one for ore refining, one for "general chemistry") and maybe also require you to add text with hints on how to make what with what to make the learning curve a bit less spiky.... (on the other hand... cool as ideas.... lots and lots of work in reality)

Thank you ^^
- Misacza

NOTE: in you're a player & are reading this hoping to find a SOLUTION, i've walked around these by downloading "Black Market (sell and buy on the market)" mod by BinbinHfr, sold some materials (so i had money) & bought 4 instances of "Metallized Fiberglass-Phenolic Boards" and one instance of "assembling machine 3" which deffinitely solves the 1st problem, and hopefully will solve the 2nd too.
maybe it's just me loving hard-core marathon, overly-complicated games, but the blackmarket mod seems a bit OP tho, as machine prices are quite low, especially those you have no research for. So while it'S great tool to overcome flaws/bugs/dead ends, unless you're playing with /really tough/ biter evolution settings, you'll outrun them in arms race /very/ easily by just selling low-tier items and buying best-tier gear.... so untill/unless the author both increases the overall prices of completed machines /and/ adds mechanics that increase the prices of things you do not have research for /even more/ (and more and more, the more research you lack) i highly reccomend turning it off afterwards (on the other hand i am using mods to make the ore piles virtually unlimited so it'Seasy for me to advocate semi-insane requirements)
also the interface is a bit messy and frustrating but to me that are most of interfaces in factorio (the continue off screen so i can'T see the data) so there the problem might be in myself actually
Hi there, good to see new forum users. I'm glad you like the mod!

Regarding the metallized board 2, that should be fixed in the latest update.

I am aware of the problem with internal combustion engine units, and it's a fairly simple fix. I just had to decide which way to do it, so it didn't make it into 1.4.0, but it will be in 1.4.1.

As for suggestions, I appreciate the thought, and I have a few comments. I chose the method of ore separation that I did because I find the separation to be an interesting and fun challenge. Another reason is that too many types of ores crowd the map, leaving too little room for actually building on. I like the RSO style of ore generation, with large deposits far apart, and 15 different types in RSO feels about right to me. If I split every single substance into its own ore, there would be over 30 of them, and the crowding would be severe. Lastly, my affinity for realism limits my choice in ores somewhat, as not all of the resources - notably cobalt and platinum - occur in high enough concentrations to directly mine on their own. They are only found as small traces in other rocks, which often contain useful metals themselves. And the pairings in Xander Mod, like nickel with platinum, are the nearly best representation of the real patterns as I could come up with. I'm not really sure how to add compatibility with infinite resource mods, and as I've explained way back in this thread, that kind of major feature compatibility isn't high on my priority list. For venting excess resources, I do have a feature to dispose of several substances, like coal coke, oxygen, nitrogen, water, sand, gravel, calcium sulfate, slag, and similar. The resources and disposal present should be sufficient for an advanced XM world, although there are definitely still baps (bugs) in this system. Fixing these is one of my main overall goals with the mod, and one I've been working on since development got out of fixing the burner era bootstrapping. Figuring out how to manage resources is one of the core challenging aspects of the mod that I like :)

By the way, I did have a little trouble understanding your meaning, due to some grammar errors like capitalization, punctuation, and word order. I hope I got everything correctly.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Cool!! That solves a big problem, I'll be sure to include it in the next mod version, for Factorio 0.16.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 1.4.0 Out

Post by Therax »

Repofme1 wrote:As for next steps, my first priority is compatibility with Factorio 0.16, mainly via the GitHub pull request I see from mspielberg. It looks pretty hefty so I don't know how long it'll take.
Many of the problems with 0.16 compatibility are because some of the Lua in the base game entities has been reorganized, such as get_circuit_connector_sprites and conditional_return, and since XM contains the old structure copy-pasted from the 0.15 base entities, these would all have to be changed to align with 0.16. Then again the next time the structure of the base entities changes again. It's a natural issue with how the XM code is structured: copy-pasting base game entities in their entirety, and then changing the few fields you're interested in, generally references to graphics files and a few key stats.

My PR tries to take an alternative approach. In the prototype Lua files, only the changes are listed, and then when the mod loads, the code grabs the relevant entity from the base game, makes a copy of it, and then applies the changes to the copy. This makes them resilient to changes in the base game that XM is not interested in modifying.

I'll work on revising the PR to apply cleanly on top of 1.4.0, or whatever tip of the master branch is on Github. It generally helps me and other contributors if you push your working changes to Github regularly. :)

Gragorath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gragorath »

Mod manager just notified me this project isn't dead after all. That's excellent news! =)
I'll have to take a look at the 1.4.0 update when I get home again.

Really appreciate your work on the mod!

Return to “Mods”