[MOD 0.13] Fire extinguisher

Topics and discussion about specific mods
devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.13] Fire extinguisher

Post by devilwarriors »

Tired of accidentally burning the only forest that buffer your factory pollution from those nasty bitter. Fear no more, the fire extinguisher is here for you.

Video demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpqdbxZuo1M&t=0s
Mod portal link : https://mods.factorio.com/mods/devilwar ... tinguisher
Git repository : https://github.com/jfmmm/Factorio-fire-extinguisher-mod

It work just like the flamethrower, but remove flame instead of placing them.

The fire entity don't have health so they are removed instantly, I'm still trying to figure out if I can fade them out over several ticks.

I'm considering nerfing the range to about 60-75% the one of the flamethrower and would love your opinion about that.

todo
  • Bob mod ingredient support (better recipe with co2 and shit, not a chemist so would love some help with figuring that out)
  • Better ground texture and some powder that flow in the wind once I figure out how to tint the flamethrower smoke white.
  • Fire extinguisher capsule with larger coverage area, for when you rather use you 3 weapon slot for something with more DPS.
idea (please let me know what you would like to see)
  • Fire extinguisher weapon slot for tank and car.
  • Fire extinguisher turret (not sure how that would work yet).
Version history
Attachments
extinguisher_0.1.3.zip
(263.46 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
extinguisher_0.1.2.zip
(263.3 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Last edited by devilwarriors on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.

blackbat
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] Fire extinguisher

Post by blackbat »

Hi, nice mod!

Regarding the chemical question for fire extinguisher, I recommend trying to simulate an ABC extinguisher, as the stuff that burns in game is: wood (fire class A), flammable liquid/gas (class B) and one can argue that (almost) every machine is electrified, so, electrical fires (class C) (these are the american classes, for some reason it's easier fo find info on those). With existing Bob's mods you can do:

Class (A)BC - Dry Chemical - Sodium Bicarbonate:

Sodium Hydroxide + CO_2 = NaHCO_3

(if you want to have a middle step, check the wikipedia page)

CO2 extinguishers are not advisable for wood fires (Class A). So, you can either choose to ignore that, or make it better for fighting fires in machines (not sure if you can even do that, just throwing ideas).

If you manage to add "potassium" to the available chemical species, you can do some more types of extinguishers:
BC Class:
Potassium bicarbonate
Potassium bicarbonate & Urea Complex (AKA Monnex)
Potassium Chloride

if you add Phosphor to the mix, you can make a true ABC class:
mix of monoammonium phosphate and ammonium sulfate

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

blackbat wrote:I recommend trying to simulate an ABC extinguisher
Yeah that's what I was going for with the textures.

By digging on wikipedia I saw that sulfuric acid, co2 and lime stone were involved in the making of different ingredient of ABC extinguisher.
Since I'm not really interested in adding more ingredient to vanilla, I went with :

Code: Select all

{
      {type="item", name="iron-plate", amount=5},
      {type="item", name="copper-plate", amount=1},
      {type="item", name="stone", amount=5},
      {type="fluid", name="sulfuric-acid", amount=1},
      {type="fluid", name="water", amount=5}
    },
an assume the assembling machine would do the magic of getting the co2 from the air and the lime stone from that 5 stone.

I want to support bob because I know there more ingredient like co2 that could be used, but even there I don't want to complicated the recipe more than it need to, so I want to stick with what is available in bob mods.

blackbat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blackbat »

I don't understand the water, if you're trying to simulate dry extinguisher why use water?. Also extinguishers usually are made of stainless steel, so maybe change iron for steel?

If you want to keep it simple in bob's mods I'd say keep the iron / steel and copper bit and then sub the sulfuric and stone for CO2 and sodium hydroxide.

TBH, I feel that in bob's mods it feels like there should be 3 recipes: the extinguisher shell, the extinguisher chemical and the final step to combine both. The extinguisher chemical should probably be made in a chemical furnace.

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

blackbat wrote:I don't understand the water, if you're trying to simulate dry extinguisher why use water?.
from the wikipedia page on sodium hydroxyde
Sodium hydroxide is industrially produced as a 50% solution by variations of the electrolytic chloralkali process. Chlorine gas is also produced in this process. Solid sodium hydroxide is obtained from this solution by the evaporation of water.
I just assumed that the process would take a shit ton of water no?

blackbat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blackbat »

I see. It is indeed how it's produced, it's even accurately represented in bobs mods (1 water + 1 salt = 1 sodium hydroxide + 1 Cl2 + 1 H2) however since it's an "intermediate product" i didn't think you'd include, but It makes sense. I still think steel makes more sense than iron though xD

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

blackbat wrote:I see. It is indeed how it's produced, it's even accurately represented in bobs mods (1 water + 1 salt = 1 sodium hydroxide + 1 Cl2 + 1 H2) however since it's an "intermediate product" i didn't think you'd include, but It makes sense. I still think steel makes more sense than iron though xD
I used iron because the flamethrower ammo is using that and didn't saw a reason to change it, and the copper is because I saw a "how it's made" video on extinguishers and they were using copper strings to weld the different part of the canister together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOYL8eHPpzE

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Fighting Forest Fires in Factorio
Cool mod.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

blackbat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blackbat »

Very nicely done!

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Hey I was just wondering if that bug has been fixed

Cheers.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

Nah just tryed yesterday and it's still there :(

mods still work fine thought.. it just kind of fireproof some tree.

Return to “Mods”