[MOD/LIB 0.14+] Larger screenshots

Doesn't fit in the other categories, like libraries, small fixes or modpacks.
aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD/LIB 0.14+] Larger screenshots

Post by aaargha »

Info Warning
Taking high detail screenshots of large areas will generate lots of data, use a ton of RAM and probably freeze the game for some time. Example on an i7 950 and 16GB of ram: taking a 1024x1024 tile screenshot at zoom 1 generated 1.6GB of data, indreased RAM usage by 5GB, and froze the game for about 30 sec.

Start small and remember that a 1024x1024 is 4x as much data as a 512x512 shot, plan accordingly.
Details and interface description
Changelog
If anyone has a chance to test multiplayer please let me know if it works.

Should also be usable in earlier versions of Factorio.

Feedback, suggestions and bug reports welcome.
Last edited by aaargha on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD/LIB 0.14+] Larger screenshots

Post by foodfactorio »

Hi, i might be taking some screenshots of my current game, and was looking around for some camera/screenshot mods, and found yours :)

another user made a mod here that might be handy to use with yours too:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Rseding91/Tape%20Measure

i havent tried them yet, but it looks like Rsedings could be used to work out how large my base is (if i estimate its visual boundaries since its not really a perfect square base) :) but can i check with you what you think would be a good value to use?

for example i only have 4GB ram, and usually play at about 60% zoomed in. (or from zooming right in, im at about 10 mouse scrollwheel's zoomed out, of about almost 30 possible scrolls of zooming out)

i want to try and make a video at some point, as it will probably be easier to do a voice over while playing and walking around, but i need more time to sort that out so thought to take some screenshots :)

here are a few examples below just to show my normal level of zoom, and probably the max zoomed out level, as if there is too much on screen and too much zoomed out, it will be harder to explain the various areas, or annotate etc.

btw these were taken with print screen but hopefully with the mod it can map out my whole base boundaries with several images.

thanks for any advice :)
(apart from making spaghetti jokes at my spaghetti designs) :D
Attachments
(my usual level of zoom)
(my usual level of zoom)
myairfiltering.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 5928 times
my alien goop to research (my usual level of zoom)
my alien goop to research (my usual level of zoom)
my-aliengoop-to-research.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 5928 times
this is probably as far as id like to zoom out for most of them
this is probably as far as id like to zoom out for most of them
my-base-taste_the_rainbow.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 5928 times
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

foodfactorio wrote:Hi, i might be taking some screenshots of my current game, and was looking around for some camera/screenshot mods, and found yours :)

another user made a mod here that might be handy to use with yours too:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Rseding91/Tape%20Measure

i havent tried them yet, but it looks like Rsedings could be used to work out how large my base is (if i estimate its visual boundaries since its not really a perfect square base) :) but can i check with you what you think would be a good value to use?

for example i only have 4GB ram, and usually play at about 60% zoomed in. (or from zooming right in, im at about 10 mouse scrollwheel's zoomed out, of about almost 30 possible scrolls of zooming out)

i want to try and make a video at some point, as it will probably be easier to do a voice over while playing and walking around, but i need more time to sort that out so thought to take some screenshots :)

here are a few examples below just to show my normal level of zoom, and probably the max zoomed out level, as if there is too much on screen and too much zoomed out, it will be harder to explain the various areas, or annotate etc.

btw these were taken with print screen but hopefully with the mod it can map out my whole base boundaries with several images.

thanks for any advice :)
(apart from making spaghetti jokes at my spaghetti designs) :D
I've not tried tape measure but from the description it sounds like it could be helpful, especially to try to figure out how much data will be generated. If you also need to get the coordinates for some point there is a debug option (F4) that will show the coordinates for the cursor called show_detailed_info, or something like that.

As this mod is only made to bypass the size limitation of the default take_screenshot command you may want to take a look at one of my other mods, Screenshot camera, that is made to make taking screenshots easier, works like blueprints, it is also compatible with this one if you want to shoot really large areas.

As for what zoom level to use you'll have to test which is good for you, you can use

Code: Select all

/c game.player.zoom = 1
in the console to set the zoom using the same scale the mods will, 1 is default 1:1 scale rendering.

If anything is unclear I'll be able to answer further questions today or in about 3 weeks when I get back to civilisation.

That said I hope it works out, from the pictures you've posted so far your base looks positively yummy ;)

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

thanks aaargha, i will check out your other mods too and give it a go
enjoy your holiday and hopefully i wont say aaargha when i get stuck :)

(btw yeah the buildings are all made from alien candy) like the fairytale stories :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

btw i just posted a few images using the camera, to the Bees mod by NP here:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=34176&start=20#p294780

(as some were quite large at 10-15MB i'm not sure if there is a limit to how much we can attach here, so just linking for now?)

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

foodfactorio wrote:btw i just posted a few images using the camera, to the Bees mod by NP here:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=34176&start=20#p294780

(as some were quite large at 10-15MB i'm not sure if there is a limit to how much we can attach here, so just linking for now?)
Glad to hear that you got it working. Yeah, the screenshots tend to get pretty large, you may want to try zooming out a bit (see mod options, 0.5 is pretty reasonable) or you can try converting them to JPEG if you don't mind the quality loss.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

ok thanks for the info - once i get as much of my current campain (and new mods) into v0.15 i will try taking lots more screens for a walkthrough but will probably do that on a new map as this one has lots of Snakes and Ladders :)

Return to “Mod Packs / Libs / Special Interest”