[1.0] Sea Block Pack 0.4.10

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15] Sea Block Pack 0.1.7

Post by Theaisa »

DerGraue wrote:
DerGraue wrote:I think there should be a different way to get slag out of water. I mean, an electrolyzer is there to separate oxygen and hydrogen. If you just want to get slag pumping water through a filter should just be enough.

Maybe add a recipe for washing plants to get slag that way, similar how it was with nodules.

I think the slag is always a waste product in angels mods, seablock is just using that to function without ores.
Arch666Angel wrote:You get more than enough out of the geodes now, also from washing.
That's true and for a normal Angel's playthrough it wouldn't make any sense, but specifically for seablock I still think it would.
It also would fit in nicely in the research progression of seablock, especially for the early game. It should be unlocked in the first washing plant tech, which requires only red science and can be build earlier now. After unlocking that you do not yet have geodes or the geode processing, which come quite some time later. So now the player can build a few washing plants (which are not useful at this tech level) and get some slag for less energy costs. Also the tech with washing plants is required at this time to get to slag processing which is kinda mandatory for progressing.
So the slag generation in washing plants should be energy wise a bit cheaper than getting it from electrolyzers but more expensive than making stuff from geodes later on.

I think that would be perfect.
As far as I can tell, you now need the washing plant (only one of them) to get Hydrogen Sulfide -> Sulfur, which you need to kickstart the slag slurry process - as you can no longer do it with coal.

It would still be nice to have an actual use for the washing plant afterwards though.. best as I can tell, you make a stack of Sulfur and then dismantle the plants for a long time.

ACreator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ACreator »

1st of all id love to thank the modpack author (and ofc the modmakes (in special bob and angels).

I had not played factorio and came back (like a week before 0.16 alpha release - which i paciently waited for) specificially for this modpack. I dont know how many hours i put it (id say 6 or 8, but i made very liberal use of speed up :P). As a guy that never played bobs and angels, + the seablock aspect ( i love MC skyblock) made me register to come and thank you for the awsome time im having!!

(i hope im making some sense as iv played like 20h in last 36h - having restarted once)

- im also watching NIlaus let's play.

As such im having some problems that i wanted to ask if im missing something or its just hard nerfs from 0.15.

-it seems ore generation is much slower on this version since no chunks but i assume thats intended.
-A lot of power nerfs and one needs to stay in charcoal for a longer time. I saw Nilaus sustaining a base the size of mine and i have double is algae production (although im ganing some charcoal finnaly).

i assume before geodes ( that i read some posts before) are the main source of ores atm, or am i missing something? id say im generating half of my stuff running a crystaliser on my extra mineralised water and 2 more crystalisers on mineral sludge (soon to be 4 as i think thats the max power I will have).

Am i missing something obvious? if some1 is interested in giving a look i can send my save (although ill say right now i cheated a SINGLE hydroplant because i didnt wanna restart my game yet again after having put my brown algae stuff literaly ON THE OTHER END of where i was later going to produce saline water... (but i dont know bobs or angels so i dont feel bad :P).

i also wanted to ask about some other specific angels mods.... like logistic and many others... do you not add them because it would defeat the experience you are trying to create? or you cant balance them (no time)?
(as im watching nilau's playthorugh i can see why some stuff might be too OP like loader redux or even angels logistics)

Just wanted to know your opinion of this to help me decide if i should add more stuff or not, as at least for my 1st time, im trying to play your intended vision to experience.

Thanks again for the awsome modpack (and mod!) (and ofc to all moders that make part of it!!) (and the extras i use :P)

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

I'm playing the 0.16 beta modpack, and I'm at the stage of producing red + green science at a steady rate while I replace many of my buildings with Mk2 versions. I never played seablock before, but I've played Bob's and Angel's mods before. Here are my experience and impressions so far:

0. This modpack is extremely fun!

1. I finally turned off the landfill painting mod, because I kept losing landfill by accidentally replacing land with a different type. It's too hard to tell which kind you're holding, and as someone else mentioned I think it changes randomly when you pick it up. I won't use it unless it's modified so you get back landfill when you paint over existing land.

2. As far as I can tell, charcoal is the most beneficial fuel to produce early game in terms of how much power you get out. I tried to build up power using green algae -> charcoal -> steam engines for quite a while. I worked it out and you do generate a net positive amount, but even with 18 algae farms going, it was a paltry amount. Building this was not a waste of time, though, since after I got more power (see #3) I have used it to generate charcoal and cellulose fiber needed in the rest of my base for smelting, filtering, and wooden boards.

3. I finally decided to just build more wind turbines, and that has worked much better. I now have 1200 wind turbines and I'm thinking of switching to solar for further expansion, just to have fewer entities to place. I've actually enjoyed the random variation in power output a lot; it creates interesting dynamics with the algae farms.

4. It seems like sorting ores is not beneficial. I'm not sure if this is because of something in seablock or a change to Angel's mods. According to my calculations, direct smelting of, say, saphirite gives 2 iron plates per saphirite ore, while sorting ends up giving you 9 total plates per 16 saphirite ore (plus an insignificant additional amount of crushed stone). Sorting also takes a lot more space and energy, so it's definitely a bad idea for now. I find this strange since it used to be beneficial (in Angels+Bobs) to set up sorting quite early for better yield. Am I missing something? I realize that sorting will eventually be useful to me for obtaining the rarer ores; perhaps that is now its only purpose.

5. Likewise, there's lots of early (red and red+green) smelting tech, but it seems to be useless for now because (other than for steel) it does not increase the yield. Might as well make it require blue science since it's pointless until one gets productivity modules. Am I missing something?

6. There is a bunch of farming stuff in Angel's bioprocessing now, and there are little islands with plants on them. Is there a purpose to all this yet? I have been able to extract seeds and bio research packs, and even make farms and soil, but the farms have no recipes so I can't actually grow anything. Am I missing something?

7. There seems to be no way to get coal (from the patch notes, I assume this is intended), but there are still lots of recipes that use coal (in some places it has been replaced with carbon, but not in others). It would be nice if recipes for which one cannot obtain the ingredients were removed from the game.

I realize that some of the above is feedback/questions for Archangel666, but it seems that he reads this thread so I wanted to post it all in one place.

tl;dr: I'm really loving the modpack! Thanks to all the mod makers for this.

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

Zephyrinius wrote: 1. I finally turned off the landfill painting mod, because I kept losing landfill by accidentally replacing land with a different type. It's too hard to tell which kind you're holding, and as someone else mentioned I think it changes randomly when you pick it up. I won't use it unless it's modified so you get back landfill when you paint over existing land.
If you press 'r', the landfill type will change. I find that if I hold over my previous landfill and press 'r' until it turns blue, I know I have the same type. It's a real pain that it sometimes changes though.. I agree. Hope that will be fixed ASAP.
Zephyrinius wrote: 4. It seems like sorting ores is not beneficial. I'm not sure if this is because of something in seablock or a change to Angel's mods. According to my calculations, direct smelting of, say, saphirite gives 2 iron plates per saphirite ore, while sorting ends up giving you 9 total plates per 16 saphirite ore (plus an insignificant additional amount of crushed stone). Sorting also takes a lot more space and energy, so it's definitely a bad idea for now. I find this strange since it used to be beneficial (in Angels+Bobs) to set up sorting quite early for better yield. Am I missing something? I realize that sorting will eventually be useful to me for obtaining the rarer ores; perhaps that is now its only purpose.
I must be missing something? I am getting 3 saphirite -> 2 plates and 4 saphirite -> 3 ore + 1 slag. And the latter then allows you to refine it further.

Edit: It does take a lot more power, so it's not really ideal in the beginning, but it does give more yield.

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

Thanks for the tip about landfill painting.
I must be missing something? I am getting 3 saphirite -> 2 plates and 4 saphirite -> 3 ore + 1 slag. And the latter then allows you to refine it further.
I think you haven't factored in that (with vanilla furnaces) smelting iron (copper, etc.) ores you only get 3 plates for every 4 ore. So there is another factor of 3/4, lowering the final yield to what I indicated above.

However, I just realized that this answers one of my other points: the complicated Angel's smelting does give a better yield even without productivity modules, since it gives you 1 plate per 1 vanilla ore. So sorting is worthwhile ONLY if you also use Angel's processing rather than vanilla furnace smelting.

Maybe you had already gone through all that and are using sorting + Angel's processing in your base...

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

Zephyrinius wrote:Thanks for the tip about landfill painting.
I think you haven't factored in that (with vanilla furnaces) smelting iron (copper, etc.) ores you only get 3 plates for every 4 ore. So there is another factor of 3/4, lowering the final yield to what I indicated above.

However, I just realized that this answers one of my other points: the complicated Angel's smelting does give a better yield even without productivity modules, since it gives you 1 plate per 1 vanilla ore. So sorting is worthwhile ONLY if you also use Angel's processing rather than vanilla furnace smelting.

Maybe you had already gone through all that and are using sorting + Angel's processing in your base...
Still sounds like you are over-valuing direct smelting, which gives only 2 plates per 3 ore, so 0.66 plates per ore. Without angels yes, sorting gives 4->3 (0.75 'pure' ore per saphirite) and then 4->3 (so 0.75 again for 0.5652 plates per ore). Angels smelting is really fast, you only need 40 red science (iirc), which moves it up to 0.75 which is distinctly better than direct smelting :)

That said, the process takes something like 700 MW, so it's probably not worth it to move to sorting and Angels until you have 4-8 crystallizers running... not to mention the price is significant, each module costs several hundred iron.

Sweet1994
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sweet1994 »

Do you think you will be able to use your old 0.16 Beta savegame after the official 0.16 modpack release? I‘m playing the 0.15 right now but i‘m not this far yet. But once i got a big base i don‘t want to start over again. So keep playing the 0.15 Version or hope for the best with the 0.16 beta version? :(

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

By the way, I am having vanilla research packs as opposed to the more complicated packs of the previous release. Is that an issue on my end, or was it not updated yet?

slb235
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by slb235 »

Theaisa wrote:By the way, I am having vanilla research packs as opposed to the more complicated packs of the previous release. Is that an issue on my end, or was it not updated yet?
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=43759&start=160#p332197

You can download the mod here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=14294&start=180#p327388

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

FWIW, I am playing with the 0.16 science cost tweaker patch linked in the post above, and it seems to be working fine.

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

6. There is a bunch of farming stuff in Angel's bioprocessing now, and there are little islands with plants on them. Is there a purpose to all this yet? I have been able to extract seeds and bio research packs, and even make farms and soil, but the farms have no recipes so I can't actually grow anything. Am I missing something?
Never mind, I found out that I had to do more research to unlock the farm recipes. It's a bit confusing that the farm is unlocked before you can do anything with it, though.
By the way, I am having vanilla research packs as opposed to the more complicated packs of the previous release. Is that an issue on my end, or was it not updated yet?
Edit: nevermind my patch; Neemys posted a better patch here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=14294&start=180#p334229
I have been playing with the patched version of Science Cost Tweaker that was posted elsewhere by cartmen180. The only problem I ran into was that the labs would not accept the bio-processing research packs. I have patched his patch so that they do. Here it is; use at your own risk, of course.
Last edited by Zephyrinius on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Zephyrinius wrote: I have been playing with the patched version of Science Cost Tweaker that was posted elsewhere by cartmen180. The only problem I ran into was that the labs would not accept the bio-processing research packs. I have patched his patch so that they do. Here it is; use at your own risk, of course.
Thank you very much. I already loaded the other update from the SCT thread here:
viewtopic.php?p=334229#p334229

Don't know, if there are difference.

Thank you both.

artemonster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by artemonster »

is there any schedule when newly updated sea block pack for 0.16 goes from playtest to stable? I tried it and I really like the progression in early game. I also think maybe SCT can be left out too :)

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

artemonster wrote:is there any schedule when newly updated sea block pack for 0.16 goes from playtest to stable? I tried it and I really like the progression in early game. I also think maybe SCT can be left out too :)
SCT do bring something with it's own recipe for research pack. More different resources with sligthly difficult research production chain. For the moment SCT is working in 0.16 and is only missing a custom production chain for logistic pack and bio-processing. Not a problem for seablock to keep it in the pack for now.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

artemonster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by artemonster »

Sure, SCT adds a lot more interesting complexity to the modpack. Is there any donate button to help/accelerate modpacks balancing and development? ^^

Megatron
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Megatron »

With the new bioprocessing I am kinda confused what to do with the excess seeds when processing dormant seeds. They can be converted to compost and soil after that, but with the lack of temperate gardens there is no use for these items. I cannot turn them into a liquid or a gas to rid of them.

EDIT: Never mind that, there are temperate gardens, just father away from the spawn.

Christopurr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Christopurr »

Is there something special I need to do to be able to unlock the ability to craft green or better science packs? I’ve completed new almost all Red research but still am only allowed to craft red packs.

Nalyu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nalyu »

Christopurr wrote:Is there something special I need to do to be able to unlock the ability to craft green or better science packs? I’ve completed new almost all Red research but still am only allowed to craft red packs.
I am using the 0.16 pack and get green science packs after researching Automation 2.

And after a quick look at Zisteau's lets play in 0.15 it is already unlocked.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Are we back to simple science in new sea block?

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

cpy wrote:Are we back to simple science in new sea block?
It's literally a handful of posts back..
slb235 wrote:
Theaisa wrote:By the way, I am having vanilla research packs as opposed to the more complicated packs of the previous release. Is that an issue on my end, or was it not updated yet?
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=43759&start=160#p332197
jodokus31 wrote:
Zephyrinius wrote: I have been playing with the patched version of Science Cost Tweaker that was posted elsewhere by cartmen180. The only problem I ran into was that the labs would not accept the bio-processing research packs. I have patched his patch so that they do. Here it is; use at your own risk, of course.
Thank you very much. I already loaded the other update from the SCT thread here:
viewtopic.php?p=334229#p334229

Don't know, if there are difference.

Thank you both.

Return to “Mods”