Mylon's Many Mods

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mylon's Multiple Mods

Post by Mylon »

Cobalt40 wrote:DangOreus is definitely a unique marathon mod. One suggestion I would like to make to improve this mod is to find a way to disable the map from counting nearby mineral resources, which causes a lot of lag and noise data as my map grows thanks to placing radar dishes. (Being told what composition of minerals literally surrounds me us pretty useless given the nature of this mod.). All I care about on the map is locating fluid deposits.

This would probably be another concern for spotting enemy bases. (I've been playing on peaceful with no enemy bases. So, I cannot tell)
The ore was originally designed as a server only mod. As a standalone one I could add that feature. Just been kidna taking a break until 0.16

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Bucketsmith wrote:Not sure if you're still active, hope so.

For the automatic belt upgrader mod, it would be fantastic if we had an in-game switch, hotkey or mod option to turn it on or off.
When you get to juuuuust about making some blue tier transport items, you want to slowly start upgrading your base, and also keep some on you for new stuff to build.
But the production of the blue items is too slow to deal with the MASSIVE task of upgrading the entire base all at once, leaving me unable to grab and hold any blue items for myself. My own personal roboport and construction bots will take it out of my inventory to upgrade random bits I walk by.
Hotkeys are a problem as I've run into collisions before. What would you recommend for a key to toggle it? Either way it'll appear in the options for changing, but defaults matter!

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

I updated dangOreus to turn off resource patch information. Unfortunately this also turns off the information for oil too.

Cobalt40
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cobalt40 »

Mylon wrote:I updated dangOreus to turn off resource patch information. Unfortunately this also turns off the information for oil too.
I can at least see where they are on the map compared to the lag issues I was having before. Also, I am using another mod called Map Labels written by Pandemoneus which offers a sufficient workaround and makes their locations easier to spot.

Will you be adding LordMimir's fix to dangOreus as well? I put it in myself, and my original issue appears resolved.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Cobalt40 wrote:
Mylon wrote:I updated dangOreus to turn off resource patch information. Unfortunately this also turns off the information for oil too.
I can at least see where they are on the map compared to the lag issues I was having before. Also, I am using another mod called Map Labels written by Pandemoneus which offers a sufficient workaround and makes their locations easier to spot.

Will you be adding LordMimir's fix to dangOreus as well? I put it in myself, and my original issue appears resolved.
Oops, that slipped by me. I knew I was forgetting something!

omagaalpha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omagaalpha »

I'm getting

Code: Select all

244.551 Script @dangOreus/control.lua:265: 0
244.559 Script @dangOreus/control.lua:271: global tables are size 0.
311.462 Error MainLoop.cpp:940: Exception at tick 4216287: Error while running event dangOreus::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
dangOreus/control.lua:123: bad argument #1 to 'random' (interval is empty)
this
I have some mods I have our bob's and angel and Asteroid Mining and others and then omnimatter.

Result all mods is I have 2 ore on map which are Omnite(Omnimatter mod) and Factorium ore(PortalResearch Mod).
Long List Mods

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

omagaalpha wrote:I'm getting

311.462 Error MainLoop.cpp:940: Exception at tick 4216287: Error while running event dangOreus::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
this
I have some mods I have our bob's and angel and Asteroid Mining and others and then omnimatter.

Result all mods is I have 2 ore on map which are Omnite(Omnimatter mod) and Factorium ore(PortalResearch Mod).
Long List Mods
dangOreus assumes that ore is being generated the usual way. If another mod is using their own method to generate ore (like RSO) then that definitely will cause a conflict with dangOreus.

Some things to consider when trying to fix this:
* Which ores get spawned? Which don't? Like look at the problem I had with Thorium in Bob's.
* How do I suppress that mod's ore generation so ores aren't overlapping?

It's a tricky problem and I'd suggest you bug the mod authors to use normal resource generation logic instead of their own methods. And/or split that into a separate mod like RSO.

Bucketsmith
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bucketsmith »

Mylon wrote: Hotkeys are a problem as I've run into collisions before. What would you recommend for a key to toggle it? Either way it'll appear in the options for changing, but defaults matter!
I have no recommendations, I barely use hotkeys. My preference would go to a button on the HUD somewhere. :)

Cobalt40
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cobalt40 »

I noticed in your list of fixes for DangOreus, you added a fix described as "Resources give oil patches a little bit of room to breathe."

For Angel's Ores, this fix works well for Oil Wells and Gas Wells, but for Fissures, they can be very misleading on where their auto-detonate zones are.

Oil Wells and Gas Wells cover a 3x3 area. A Fissure covers a 5x5 area but is only getting the 3x3 clearing from ores because of the mod. I went a little further and managed to dig my way to a fissure to see what else changed only to find my transport belts breaking outside the 5x5 zone of the fissure even though the ores were already cleared away. The real danger zone of fissures is a 9x9 area on the latest version. I don't recall this being a problem on previous versions. One clue I can give as to what changed is I built a Thermal Water Extractor, a pumpjack specifically made for fissures. Thermal Water Extractors cover a 9x9 area when built.

Could there be a way to adjust the breathing room for fissures to make them less misleading?

omagaalpha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omagaalpha »

Mylon wrote:
omagaalpha wrote:I'm getting

this

Long List Mods
dangOreus assumes that ore is being generated the usual way. If another mod is using their own method to generate ore (like RSO) then that definitely will cause a conflict with dangOreus.

Some things to consider when trying to fix this:
* Which ores get spawned? Which don't? Like look at the problem I had with Thorium in Bob's.
* How do I suppress that mod's ore generation so ores aren't overlapping?

It's a tricky problem and I'd suggest you bug the mod authors to use normal resource generation logic instead of their own methods. And/or split that into a separate mod like RSO.
Why when it show your mod lack checking at some variable?
Replace chunk_type = global.diverse_ore_list[math.random(#global.diverse_ore_list)] with this

if #global.diverse_ore_list > 1 then
	chunk_type = global.diverse_ore_list[math.random(#global.diverse_ore_list)]
else
	chunk_type = global.diverse_ore_list[1]
end
Above code check to see if greater then if not then just go first ore in list. Since not going to be using this mod if have no ore in list.

Add check where create make #ore_list greater then zero.

if( #ore_list >0) then
	local type = ore_list[(math.random(#ore_list))]
	--With noise
	event.surface.create_entity{name=type, amount=amount, position={x+0.45+0.1*math.random(), y+0.45+0.1*math.random()}}
	--Without noise
	-- event.surface.create_entity{name=type, amount=amount, position={x+0.5, y+0.5}}
end
That is how fix my error.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Cobalt40 wrote:Could there be a way to adjust the breathing room for fissures to make them less misleading?
I updated the code so no ore is generated around the Thermal Water Extractor footprint. The main goal of not spawning ore was to make it possible to read the resource patch info on oil wells. Seeing no ore around the fissure does not fit that original goal and may or may not convey the right idea about safety, but not sure how really to handle that. But the code is there now! And it's more general code so it'll handle other sizes of liquid resources too.

Challenge: At the moment liquid resources are ignored. How might they be integrated into the concept? Do liquid resources occasionally spawn biters? Or maybe they have some other effect that makes them suitably dangOilus?
Last edited by Mylon on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

omagaalpha wrote:
That is how fix my error.
I'm not understanding what's going on here.

If #global.diverse_ore_list is 0, then math.random(#global.diverse_ore_list) will fail, which I expected. But global.diverse_ore_list[1] will be nil so that shouldn't work. If #global.diverse_ore_list is 1, then math.random(1) will work just fine. Likewise, wrapping the block in a (#ore_list >0) mean resources are never generated using dangOreus logic.

The only reason these tables should be 0 is if there are no parameters for placing the ore and a mod is using its own logic for spawning ore.

I'm just going to say one of your other mods to change how they work. Preferably they should define autoplace_controls and let the game's logic handle placement. But if you're having fun with your patch then go for it.

Cobalt40
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cobalt40 »

Mylon wrote:Challenge: At the moment liquid resources are ignored. How might they be integrated into the concept? Do liquid resources occasionally spawn biters? Or maybe they have some other effect that makes them suitably dangOilus?
As far as I know, Fissures do not spawn biters. There is only the problem of drilling for up to 5 days in realtime just to reach one only to find a mediocre amount of yield. There's also the less common but slightly annoying issue of not starting with any connection to water in the starting area. At least water is usually about 4 layers of ore away, but when you don't find any coal there, you really find yourself squandering resources just to get started.

If there is a way to guarantee closer liquid spawns with higher yield, that would help safeguard against unavoidable downtime just because oil-based products are unreachable - especially plastic, lubricant, and sulfuric acid.

If you are going to try a "DangOilus" mod to make liquid deposits spawn biters, I hope there is a way to respect players on peaceful mode, or perhaps there is a way use a pumpjack to put the kibosh on such spawns.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

dangOreus spOilers
The key features of dangOreus is an overabundance of resources and a huge limitation on space. I'm not really sure how to fit oil into that paradigm, except maybe to use very big / very frequent deposits. But that can be done without any additional mods/coding.

Marsh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Marsh »

I'm having a problem with prospector. After using the prospector to upgrade the ore into veins, the amount in each vein is much lower than previously. All the patches seem to be 25 ore. With the map settings, the tier one patches had 500-800 per patch. I'm using Angel's with RSO. Using it on undepleted patches also seems to add only 25.

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

Concreep seems to be placing concrete over asphalt from the asphalt roads mod.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Marsh wrote:I'm having a problem with prospector. After using the prospector to upgrade the ore into veins, the amount in each vein is much lower than previously. All the patches seem to be 25 ore. With the map settings, the tier one patches had 500-800 per patch. I'm using Angel's with RSO. Using it on undepleted patches also seems to add only 25.
This is a conflict specifically with RSO. RSO is spawning the ore patches after my mod, which interrupts the logic that is used to determine how much ore should be added.

I'm confident that resource spawning will be more satisfying in 0.16 without RSO, so adding support for RSO won't be necessary.

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

What do I change in the bluebuild mod file(s) so I:

1. Don't have to be standing still for blueprints to self populate
2. Can be much further away, like 500-5000 tiles away...
3. Can place blueprints much faster, say 100 per second instead of 10 person like you mod description suggests.

I assume these topics set by flags and/or variables in your code so I just need to know which to change and in what file they are in. If any of the above mentioned points will greatly mess with performance I would appreciate any work arounds you may have for that.

Thanks for your help!

I like this mod concept since it means I don't need to start the game with a personal robot port and robots to get this same functionality.

Cheers

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

npuldon wrote:What do I change in the bluebuild mod file(s) so I:

1. Don't have to be standing still for blueprints to self populate
2. Can be much further away, like 500-5000 tiles away...
3. Can place blueprints much faster, say 100 per second instead of 10 person like you mod description suggests.

I assume these topics set by flags and/or variables in your code so I just need to know which to change and in what file they are in. If any of the above mentioned points will greatly mess with performance I would appreciate any work arounds you may have for that.

Thanks for your help!

I like this mod concept since it means I don't need to start the game with a personal robot port and robots to get this same functionality.

Cheers
Admittedly, Bluebuild code is very messy and none of this is stored in any easily accessible list of variables. Changing these wouldn't be easy. Not too difficult, but not trivial.

For example, changing line 47 to

if global.blueBuildFirstTick[builder.index] and game.tick > global.blueBuildFirstTick[builder.index] then
will speed up blueprint placement speed to 60/second.

Changing line 235 to

return 0
should increase the building range significantly, but only out to the search range. Which in turn could be improved by increasing character reach (Via console or a mod like Long Reach)

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

Well, it sounds like you know what kind of work can be done to increase the usability for the future.

Hope to see updates in the coming weeks.

Cheers!

Return to “Mods”